Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, the 2001 Semi Final was probably our best win from the ‘91 flag right through to the 2008 GF.

But, we won that coming from 17 points down at 3/4 time, during the Ansett strike with a team of absolute spuds.

With a decent coach Port are arguably the most talented team in the AFL, playing on their home deck against the second youngest team in the league.

The rub is Clarko and others took chockos port Adelaide game plan and made much more successful plans from it.

Port won like 3 minor premiership in a row, only one flag

Looking back I wish we swung Weddle forward earlier. We needed a tall up there with Gunston going off and he was having a bit of a mare down back.

Our “tall” forwards got destroyed on the weekend and agree we seemed like we were slow to change things up until sicily started to show something for us in the last.

Chol was murdered by BZT and to be honest had a dreadful Finals series for the Hawks. Got beaten in the air over two games by Lobb and BZT so many times when he needed to be stronger and make a contest and atleast bring the ball to ground.

Gunners was MIA against Port. Our delivery forward didn’t help him one bit also.

Dear just could not impact on the night.

Down the other end Rioli slaughtered Dimma the moment the ball hit the ground and to me Rioli was the match winner on the night.

Our “tall” forwards got destroyed on the weekend and agree we seemed like we were slow to change things up until sicily started to show something for us in the last.

Chol was murdered by BZT and to be honest had a dreadful Finals series for the Hawks. Got beaten in the air over two games by Lobb and BZT so many times when he needed to be stronger and make a contest and atleast bring the ball to ground.

Gunners was MIA against Port. Our delivery forward didn’t help him one bit also.

Down the other end Rioli slaughtered Dimma the moment the ball hit the ground and to me Rioli was the match winner on the night.
Watching the match again on replay I get the feeling the club will do everything they can to get Scaife fit enough over the pre season to play Senior footy. He's a big (big) lad with a good set of mitts and a long kick, just what we need.

Our lack of contested marking across half forward was actually a weakness across both finals in retrospect and sooner or later it was going to catch up with us in the finals.

Turgid game style by a boring team got us in the end. Even though there was only a post in us winning it anyway.
I'm not sure there is a more delusional bunch around than Port? Although existing as an afterthought in your own state with only two sides would likely make you that way.
Anyone who is not a Port fan could never say that a Power/$wans final would be more exciting than a prelim against Hawthorn and If they do they are truly kidding themselves.
As for the rest of the season I'd like a Brisbane/$ydney GF and could take either side winning it TBH. It might be humorous to see the $wans win it the first year without Franklin and Brisbane are up against Geelong. End of.

It's been an amazing year for our club and they've given the bland, vanilla AFL landscape something new and fresh that caught the attention of all. We are no doubt all counting down the days till season 2025 and I know I'll be seeing you all Round 1 at the 'G to once again ride the bumps with a grin.

P.S Hinkley is a clown shoe. And it's hilarious that Koch just keeps handing out $$$ to the senile bozo.

The funniest thing about this whole "Hawks are sooks" thing is, was it just me, or did all the port supporters full pack it up and resign to a loss and want there coach gone? Never seen anything like it in a final before a game. Absolutely pathetic and the true definition of sook. Ken Hinkley has been the biggest defensive sook I've ever seen through out this season in his press conferences.

Pathetic.

As for Kane Cornes. His usually sensationalist shit. Completely glossing over the fact we were about to pinch it off them. You know, "his hawks", a post away from stealing it.

Pathetic.

Watching the match again on replay I get the feeling the club will do everything they can to get Scaife fit enough over the pre season to play Senior footy. He's a big (big) lad with a good set of mitts and a long kick, just what we need.

Our lack of contested marking across half forward was actually a weakness across both finals in retrospect and sooner or later it was going to catch up with us in the finals.
He is not a contested mark as such. His marks have been on the lead. There is a bit to work with but a lot to work on.

Yep agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funniest thing about this whole "Hawks are sooks" thing is, was it just me, or did all the port supporters full pack it up and resign to a loss and want there coach gone? Never seen anything like it in a final before a game. Absolutely pathetic and the true definition of sook. Ken Hinkley has been the biggest defensive sook I've ever seen through out this season in his press conferences.

Pathetic.

As for Kane Cornes. His usually sensationalist shit. Completely glossing over the fact we were about to pinch it off them. You know, "his hawks", a post away from stealing it.

Pathetic.

Kenny strawmaning all his issues on Ginni. Happy for Sicily to remonstrate with him but use language showing kens immaturity.
,’ can you just remember where you are mate, we are showing sportsmanship for Bruest’

Hawks had 42 inside 50's and most of them were shite. Forwards barely had a chance. Against the Bulldogs the Hawks had 59 inside 50's.

Agains the dogs the Hawks allowed 39 inside 50's, against Port it was 51. The defence did an amazing job to restrict Port's scoring.

This game was all about Port stopping Hawthorn's ball movement going forward. This meant the game was played in Ports attacking half which made things very difficult for Hawthorn.

It was a good coaching performance by Kenny - right up until he overshadowed himself.

Hawks definitely need high half forward marking targets. We have very few target options when forced into a kick down the line game/scenario.

Kenny going man on man exposed this.

Oh it definitely wasn't Ken's behaviour that caused the fine.

Even though he started his press conference, (a press conference after a historic win for his club) with an acknowledgement that he said and did some things he shouldn't have done.

But yes - it was the ex hawk players in the media that did the wrong thing here and Ken is a victim.

Ken also said "it shows I'm still learning"
$20k will teach him something I'm sure.

Dickhead.

Today we've been blamed for Ken's fine, and for having guys like Hodge and Lewis supposedly having a whinge in the media.

Headfkd.
It's funny that for all Hodge's years of effort to distance himself from Hawthorn in his media role to avoid accusations of being biased, as soon as he tries to share a view as a neutral media commentator he is immediately dismissed and accused of being another Hawthorn sook.

Today we've been blamed for Ken's fine, and for having guys like Hodge and Lewis supposedly having a whinge in the media.

Headfkd.

You do wonder when having such an emotional coach that bangs on the windows, stands on the boundary and goes bananas when his side wins a close one and then comes on after the siren carrying on like a pork chop is a bit of a reflection to Ports footy over the years.

Let’s be honest, a little like Ken their performances have been very inconsistent.

Have really enjoyed watching you guys all season , great list ( Barass and Battle huge additions) and excellent coach.
Game plan is both exciting and so right for this era. Love the personality aspect of the players and the Club.
Congrats on a great season, looking forward to renewing our rivalry over the years to come.

We as a club need to shut up shop. Go away from all things football and no explaining or anything to do with footy for the remainder of the season. Let these flogs keep mouthing off and talk amongst themselves with crickets coming back their way. Have a nice deserved holiday come back nice and fresh of mind and body to get stuck into 2025. Show that we'll do the talking on field. In the meantime, sleepy , who has awoken, to get to do his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back