News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL can pin us for the leak they’ll use that as the basis for the sanction.

The reality is that what has really pissed Gill off happened a few months earlier.

The reality is both Clarko and Kennett stand up to Gil routinely and he hates that.

Gil also hates that he was humiliated during Grand Final week. And further humiliated when his investigation fell apart.

I would bet all my money that these things weigh on him far more than the claims made by the former players.

I think all of the players, the coaches, the club and the afl would have been best served by a menginful mediation conducted behind the scenes.

17 players responded to the review and only 3 (or maybe only 2) talked to Jackson. Those that talked to Jackson talked only of their own experiences. Leaking the report exposed the experiences of the rest of the players who chose to remain silent. So leaking the report didn’t serve the interests of all the players at very least and I believe those that did talk to Jackson, didn’t want to drag the others into the spotlight.

Leaking doesn’t serve anyone’s good purpose. Whoever leaked likely either vastly miscalculated what the impact would be or instead they wanted to cause this chaos (just wanted to watch the world burn, perhaps). It could be some other reason but those two seem most reasonable to me.

If it’s the first, my guess is the leaker will keep his/her mouth shut for a long, long time.

If it’s the second, then I expect we’ll get some new fireworks as this fades, maybe this year or maybe the week before Hawthorn plays it’s first game back in the finals next season.

Leaking doesn’t serve anyone’s good purpose. Whoever leaked likely either vastly miscalculated what the impact would be or instead they wanted to cause this chaos (just wanted to watch the world burn, perhaps). It could be some other reason but those two seem most reasonable to me.

If it’s the first, my guess is the leaker will keep his/her mouth shut for a long, long time.

If it’s the second, then I expect we’ll get some new fireworks as this fades, maybe this year or maybe the week before Hawthorn plays it’s first game back in the finals next season.

ABC knew about the claims before anyone other than the players making the claims.

It was going to be a mess from the very beginning, so you are right about the scorched earth theory.

Relocation Stories: experiences of Indigenous Footballers in the AFL
Campbell, Emma E (2008) Relocation Stories: experiences of Indigenous Footballers in the AFL. Other Degree thesis, Victoria University.

Abstract
Moving away from home to embark on a career at an elite level involves the individual within a broader social ecology where a range of factors influence the dynamic transition. In 2000, Indigenous and non-Indigenous past and present AFL footballers and AFL administrative staff suggested that relocation was one of the issues faced by Indigenous AFL footballers. The focus of the current study was to learn about relocation and settlement experiences from the perspectives of 10 Indigenous Australian AFL footballers, examining the social, cultural, organisational, and psychological challenges. Five participants were drafted to the AFL within 12 months, and five participants were drafted to the AFL prior to 2002. Participants were listed players from seven Victorian AFL clubs. Interviews were also conducted with eight representatives (Indigenous and non-Indigenous) from organisations associated with the AFL. Players were asked questions about their own relocation and settlement experiences. Secondary informants were asked questions about their involvement with Indigenous players relocating and their perception of the relocation process for Indigenous players in the AFL. Interviews were semi-structured and conversational in style and analysed for unique and recurring themes using Interpretive Phenomenological Analysis (IPA). Each of the stories reflected subtle differences experienced during relocation, highlighting the importance and value of using a phenomenological and qualitative framework to understand each player’s perspective and experiences of relocation. The findings demonstrated both facilitative and barrier factors influencing the relocation, settlement, and adaptation experiences. These included opportunity and social mobility, social support and kindredness, culture shock, and racism and homogeneity. Each player’s story about relocation and subsequent settlement and adaptation, highlighted the importance of family, connection, and kindredness as an overarching theme. The findings emphasise the need for receiving environments, in this case the AFL, to treat every player on an individual basis rather than grouping them into a collective. It is essential that a player is understood in relation to his socio-cultural context. The AFL has implemented significant changes to welcome cultural diversity, but as a mainstream organisation, it has been developed within mainstream values. Just as society in general needs to acknowledge Australian history and the overall discrepancies between Indigenous and non-Indigenous opportunities and living standards, the AFL has to continue to de-institutionalise stereotypes and increase the cultural awareness of all groups to continue being a forerunner of progressive race relations. The current study represents an important initial step in the identification and description of the relocation processes from the vantage point of Indigenous footballers.

Thesis submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the Doctor of Applied Psychology degree.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://vuir.vu.edu.au/1993/1/emma_campbell.pdf

Rocket72

Gowers has been doing lots of work behind the scenes, I hear.

Met up with Fagan when Lions were in town, and had been speaking to Clarko too about a catch up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gowers has been doing lots of work behind the scenes, I hear.

Met up with Fagan when Lions were in town, and had been speaking to Clarko too about a catch up.
What? A President who doesn't broadcast every action and thought on Twitter? Madness.

Accused have been cleared, all think they have done nothing wrong, they should be at work and performing at their optimum then. Simplistic take following a very rocky time for all but the trajectory is there for life to move on...

What are the thoughts there?
You would expect that anything short of glaring evidence of a leak from hawthorn, hill will wait until an opportune time and announce no findings against the club or some findings worth a small sanction. It will be easier for the aggrieved to swallow later on once the emotions have cooled.

You would expect that anything short of glaring evidence of a leak from hawthorn, hill will wait until an opportune time and announce no findings against the club or some findings worth a small sanction. It will be easier for the aggrieved to swallow later on once the emotions have cooled.
Im more asking around the dead silence on this

Seems that if it was us, it would be all out in the open

I think a lot of the radio silence is around Gowers statement which stated that he'd be disappointed if the HFC were subjected to any penalties (monetary or draft picks) and that we wouldn't rule out the possibility of legal action if that were to occur.

I think a lot of the radio silence is around Gowers statement which stated that he'd be disappointed if the HFC were subjected to any penalties (monetary or draft picks) and that we wouldn't rule out the possibility of legal action if that were to occur.
It was subtle enough, but carried the point well I hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back