NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Sam Mitchell, David Hale, Monkhurst were all at Hawthorn at the time, and still are.

As well as multiple board members.

I think we let Monkhorst go in the last week or two? Is there a suggestions players were kept in the loop on this? Seems reasonable to assume the leadership group might have been, but haven't seen that reported on yet. Burgoyne has just come out and said he wasn't aware of the incidents, so if Burgoyne wasn't informed as a senior first nations player, I'm not sure Mitchell would have been either.

In what world would Hawthorn have to compensate North Melbourne?

North Melbourne didn't poach Clarkson from Hawthorn. Ties were cut with the club and he was free to walk anywhere he wants.

This is a baffling take.

Maybe.
However Hawthorn definitely deserve massive draft and financial sanctions/penalties at any rate

Admittedly I haven't seen anything other the club statement from the Lions, but my understanding is that Fages has taken a leave of absence to focus on helping the AFLIU in their investigations, as he was never spoken to by the Hawthorn independent review people.

There's a distinct difference in stepping down and taking leave. It might eventually lead to him stepping down or being sacked, but he still holds coaching position for now.
Stepping down suggests that he has left the role.

I used the incorrect term, but yes that's what I meant. The fact that Fagan has decided to take leave to allow the investigation to take place by Brisbane is positive but that it puts heat on Clarkson, because he hasn't done so (yet at least).

Never heard of a joke?

I was only joking about giving it to North (the pick)

Definitely serious that Hawthorn should be stripped of it (and maybe more picks too)

There has to be serious repercussions for the footy club, even if it happened years ago and the people responsible are gone

I really hope moving forward Hawthorn can remould themselves into a club that champions the rights of First Nations peoples and promotes a safe and healthy space for all supporters, staff and players of all backgrounds.

This is rock bottom for a club which has had a very shitty history with how it dealt with First Nations peoples. Can and must improve.

There are plenty of Hawthorn supporters who will likely walk away from the club but I hope plenty stick around to try and be the change that we need to be. Hopefully the board and the footy department follow suit.

Any thoughts on the timing of this? A week after the long-term TV rights were signed. Coincidence, or not?

AFL had the report during the negotiating period.

There will surely be a warranty in the TV rights contract about the AFL not knowing about anything that could damage the AFL brand in anyway at the time of contract execution. If they were sitting on this then Seven would have the right to terminate if they wanted to.
Seven employ Wayne Carey. Js

I remember how Tim Paine and others have been slaughtered in public when one just viewpoint gets shared. There are 3 viewpoints here and they all shared a damning assessment of a leadership that has failed them. Still, justice and "the law" need time for a rebuttal or differing views(if there are any). I think the heat of the moment, right now, is not the time to make decisions or punishments or whatever.

It is just disappointing and sad that these players had little or no support. I hope that doesn't happen again. No job is worth the amount of pain they have suffered and no leader or boss should inflict this type of suffering.

Yes I know that and that was my trap. AFL coaches will do anything in the hope of a premiership, including telling players black white or blue what to do in their personal lives.

Just that it seems Clarko was particularly comfortable about pushing his control too far with Indigenous recruits, just a coincidence?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your dreaming you think a major network would run with this without doing there homework Your in fairyland.
And Russell Jackson is one of the best in the business, this wasn’t just published without checking everything over multiple times and lawyer’s approval.

In what world would Hawthorn have to compensate North Melbourne?

North Melbourne didn't poach Clarkson from Hawthorn. Ties were cut with the club and he was free to walk anywhere he wants.

This is a baffling take.

Yes we did, infact, he remains your employee to this very second.

As Jeff Kennett reminded him 2 weeks ago of his contractual obligations to Hawthorn until November 1st.

I'm surprised your CEO didn't mention he would be stood down without pay for the remainder of his employment contract pending the results of the AFL integrity investigation.

Despite it being my club, considering this was Hawthorns own review and handed to the AFL integrity unit following it's completion, as well as the fact that none of the accused work there anymore, I'm having a hard time concluding what a CLUB punishment could possibly look like 10 years on. You would be punishing innocent players, footy departments and supporters.

Other clubs have been punished for historical transgressions, Melbourne, Essendon & Carlton to name but three.

I think we need less punishment because that may prevent what is really needed, a come to Jesus moment. Like it or not, footy often reflects and amplifies general community views and practices, but can also influence them. If they can use this as a real driver of change they at least get growth out of it, compared to punishing and moving on.

And yes, I acknowledge it should have been obvious to people involved that this was s**t behaviour, but I don't think it's that far from the attitudes a lot of people hold, and can be a real teaching moment around the trauma some people in our community carry and aren't properly listened to about.
What if they punish it and get growth? One doesn't preclude the other.

I really hope moving forward Hawthorn can remould themselves into a club that champions the rights of First Nations peoples and promotes a safe and healthy space for all supporters, staff and players of all backgrounds.

This is rock bottom for a club which has had a very shitty history with how it dealt with First Nations peoples. Can and must improve.

There are plenty of Hawthorn supporters who will likely walk away from the club but I hope plenty stick around to try and be the change that we need to be. Hopefully the board and the footy department follow suit.

I am more worried clubs will go back to the past now and stop drafting indigenous players. that Would be a sad day.

Sam Mitchell, David Hale, Monkhurst were all at Hawthorn at the time, and still are.

As well as multiple board members.

Players were not implicated as far as the ABC report goes. Only coaches and management.

Burgoyne was there too, BTW. I doubt too many would assume he turned a blind eye to literally anything untoward.

I am strongly in favour of stripping Hawthorn of their first round pick this year and giving it to North Melbourne as some kind of compensation for Clarkson.

They definitely deserve to be hit with severe penalties for bringing the game into disrepute.
Let me get this straight: Clarko allegedly behaved in a racist/inappropriate manner at Hawthorn. Hawthorn sacked him. He is hired by North.

So, you want to punish the Hawks and then REWARD Clarko for his alleged racist/inappropriate behaviour with a free 1st round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back