News Hawthorn Racism Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you call compensated very well? the average award payment is less than $20k not exactly a cash grab IMHO. And even then they consider the financial loss of the applicant, i can't see how Cyril Rioli will be flying that flag, the others might, and good luck to them that is probably the least they deserve. But do you think $20k is a massive cash grab for what they will endure??
That would be what the court would deem appropriate but if you think that it would only be 20K you've got rocks in your head.
I personally think that this will end with some kind of apology to the players and an undisclosed settlement as Hawthorn and the AFL will want this swept away asap.

That would be what the court would deem appropriate but if you think that it would only be 20K you've got rocks in your head.
I personally think that this will end with some kind of apology to the players and an undisclosed settlement as Hawthorn and the AFL will want this swept away asap.
But we aren't talking about a court, we are talking about the HRC. Take a look at what they award in compensation and prove me wrong.

How NBA handles racism: actively kicks someone out no matter what status of (search Donald Sterling)

AFL: Burries the incident and actively helps a club hire the accused
Only after being presented with actual recordings of his racism that everyone had known about for 30 years, but had been able to plausibily deny until that point.

What do you call compensated very well? the average award payment is less than $20k not exactly a cash grab IMHO. And even then they consider the financial loss of the applicant, i can't see how Cyril Rioli will be flying that flag, the others might, and good luck to them that is probably the least they deserve. But do you think $20k is a massive cash grab for what they will endure??
ThTs chicken feed really.
That’s why fagan pisses me off. I can see contrition in the others but not him

Most official Instagram accounts turn comments off for posts that deal with racially sensitive topics like this one.

But many unofficial AFL accounts don't, and I can safely say that I made myself really sad after reading some of the disgusting things people said.

Long time Hawks fans calling Cyril a traitor and a greedy money seeker, which is similar to some of the comments that Crows fans made about Eddie Betts after he published his book last year.

It's scummy footy fans like them that make my blood boil.

ThTs chicken feed really.
That’s why fagan pisses me off. I can see contrition in the others but not him
The whole reaction that came out from the start of this, was how could everyone's grandpa Chris Fagan be involved in the events that are described.
Every response I've seen from Fagan to this, to me reads as someone who's actual belief is that he was involved with this, and he believes he did nothing wrong.

Most official Instagram accounts turn comments off for posts that deal with racially sensitive topics like this one.

But many unofficial AFL accounts don't, and I can safely say that I made myself really sad after reading some of the disgusting things people said.

Long time Hawks fans calling Cyril a traitor and a greedy money seeker, which is similar to some of the comments that Crows fans made about Eddie Betts after he published his book last year.

It's scummy footy fans like them that make my blood boil.
Even reading the Hawthorn board there's a few whose parents should have got thee same advice as Clarko/Fages gave those families

The whole reaction that came out from the start of this, was how could everyone's grandpa Chris Fagan be involved in the events that are described.
Every response I've seen from Fagan to this, to me reads as someone who's actual belief is that he was involved with this, and he believes he did nothing wrong.
And Fagans lovely legal letter that ended the afls enquiry seems to be the trigger for the this HRC escalation.

Ive asked this before, but is the poor behaviour of Clarkson and company only directed at indigenous players?
I doubt it has been looked at in depth.

I could imagine Clarkson being ruthless enough to train his activities on people, independent of race.

The "We're bastards to everyone" card is grubby, but would defuse the racist angle.

Ive asked this before, but is the poor behaviour of Clarkson and company only directed at indigenous players?
I doubt it has been looked at in depth.

I could imagine Clarkson being ruthless enough to train his activities on people, independent of race.

The "We're bastards to everyone" card is grubby, but would defuse the racist angle.
In one of the footy shows this week they read something out that stated that there was at least one family involved that was not indigenous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In one of the footy shows this week they read something out that stated that there was at least one family involved that was not indigenous.
Yes, one of the families involved was of Maori descent. Not really what you'd be going for as a defence though.

But we do have the history of the multiple times of him being a campaigner to Sam Mitchell.

If they get proven to be correct they will rightfully be compensated very well. Whatever happens it's going to be a very long process with no real winners at the end of the day.

7.1 Section 46PO(4) of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986 (Cth)​

Section 46PO(4) of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986 (Cth) ('HREOC Act') provides:
"If the court concerned is satisfied that there has been unlawful discrimination by any respondent, the court may make such orders (including a declaration of right) as it thinks fit, including any of the following orders or any order to a similar effect:
  1. an order declaring that the respondent has committed unlawful discrimination and directing the respondent not to repeat or continue such unlawful discrimination;
  2. an order requiring a respondent to perform any reasonable act or course of conduct to redress any loss or damage suffered by an applicant;
  3. an order requiring a respondent to employ or re-employ an applicant;
  4. an order requiring a respondent to pay to an applicant damages by way of compensation for any loss or damage suffered because of the conduct of the respondent;
  5. an order requiring a respondent to vary the termination of a contract or agreement to redress any loss or damage suffered by an applicant;
  6. an order declaring that it would be inappropriate for any further action to be taken in the matter."

Literally three words into that and it's already irrelevant. The Human Rights Commission isn't a 'Court', genius. If we really were the master race you think we are we wouldn't have idiots like you among us.

Last edited:
hat I think happened is what happens all the time in life - a fundamental difference between what is said and intended on one side and what is heard and interpreted on the other. There is no winner or loser to be found here. And no universal truth for a civil court to uncover either.

Really good paragraph.

But miscommunication has responsibles. Specially if people were approached and haven’t dealt properly with it.

Really good paragraph.

But miscommunication has responsibles. Specially if people were approached and haven’t dealt properly with it.
And part of that is admitting it happened but, it was a misunderstanding.

They aren’t doing that.

I have never been a fan of Clarkson as a bloke so there may be too much bias in this opinion, but his ostrich style reaction to the whole sorry mess could suggest they were that of a bully who couldn't cop the heat when it came back the other way.

Really good paragraph.

Yep. Bear in mind I wrote that before the families issued their statement.

A half a day later and my comment looks like one of those twee quotes you see hand etched into a piece of polished wood that they sell in craft stalls.

We still don't know the details of course. But my comment (like most others) clearly has no relation whatsoever to the pain and hurt the families have briefly described in a few words and what they want to have the chance to say in the Human Rights Commission process.

Literally three words into that and it's already irrelevant. The Human Rights Commission isn't a 'Court', genius. If we really were the master race you think we are we wouldn't have idiots like you among us.
Why are you so angry all of the time, you'd think with your recent holidays you'd have chilled a bit but no, you're still a self righteous idiot.
I never said the commission would hand the penalty BUT if they do find in the favour of the players it would certainly open the door for (righful) compensation - is that really that hard to understand or do I need to use crayons for you?

Why are you so angry all of the time,
Because I don't like racists, of which you are blatantly one. Awful people like you deserve to have other people angry at them wherever they go.

I have never been a fan of Clarkson as a bloke so there may be too much bias in this opinion, but his ostrich style reaction to the whole sorry mess could suggest they were that of a bully who couldn't cop the heat when it came back the other way.

Clarkson might be a good coach, but he's always come across as a ruthless bully with short man syndrome. That dog hit during an exhibition game gives a good insight into his character.

Because I don't like racists, of which you are blatantly one. Awful people like you deserve to have other people angry at them wherever they go.
Lol - you are such a minnow.
You throw around terms like 'racist' in an attempt to gain some kind of moral high ground on a football forum to gain a feeling of superiority, good for you buddy :D

It was one of the accused - Jason Burt - who did that on his Facebook account on Wednesday with this statement:

“I also think it’s important to clarify that “Zac” and “Kylie”, who continue to make allegations to the media, are not indigenous Australians.”

The person he was referring to was Māori, not Australian Indigenous. But he didn't mention that did he - because that wasn't the point of his little 'gotcha' moment was it? And of course it doesn't change the nature of the allegations and their consequences one little bit.

This, from a guy who was Hawthorn 'Player Welfare Manager' at the time the incidents are said to have occurred.

Draw your own conclusions.

But make no mistake - Burt's attempt to set a particular narrative and 'out' the players involved, just like Fagan's threat to name the players in Supreme Court action, played no small part in the issue and wording of the statement by the families yesterday.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back