List Mgmt. Hawthorn Trade and FA news discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Gaff snippet tells me he's overwhelmingly likely to leave. Even if he genuinely wasn't sure, he would just say something along the lines of 'we're working with the club to get something done, we're pretty close' etc. You wouldn't leave it open on the eve of a grand final unless you knew you were going.

He would be a fantastic target if we did land him. Smith and Hendo ain't getting younger and we could work off that elite midfield core of Mitch, Jags, Shiels and Gaff to challenge over the next 5 or so years. We might be short one centre square inside player (and Gaff has upped his centre square time this year, mind you) but I think we're in more need of runners. Players that can spread from the contest and use their leads to open up uncontested marks like Collingwood have managed so effectively this finals series. Our weakness against Richmond in the midfield was obvious. They didn't mind much if we got first use because they packed the defensive side of the contest and we were more than happy to put the ball into that area once we got it.

Our ball movement from half back through the wings and half forward was poor at times this year, to say the least. Too many kicks to contests on the wing for my liking. Ideally we should really be kicking to packs (if at all) inside 50 to slow the game down and get those repeat stoppages. Gaff and a big preseason from Harry go some way to fixing that.

This is ridiculous that we are still holding on to the notion of the t.l trade falling thru.

We may miss out on d.shiel carlton are very confident now his whole family is blues.

What is also concerning me is r.lobb is a certainty to return to perth and if shiel out the door there is the cap space they need to not lose any more players I.e cogs!

I back the club in and they must be secreatly confident that the deal is falling thru or a plan b to secure a different a grade mid. Maybe a.gaff.

Time to act now and throw a decent offer at a player who wants to come to us. Not a player who choose us as a 2nd option.

I don't see how we can find the draft picks or players to satisfy teams to part with both Shiel and Wingard or whatever two A graders we target.

Therefore to get two A graders one of them has to be Gaff because we don't have to give up anything for him.
Agreed.

I think we’re going to make a few changes to our list.

Gaff, Wingard & a few b grade filler upsiders please (forward & back).
C.Moore and Finlayson would be ideal.

Geez you guys don't ask for much.

The fact that we get linked to pretty much everyone gives me a feeling we are going to get no one.
The fact that other clubs have to pay way overs to attract talent is a reality of the current market place. Dylan Shiel chasing 7 year deals (if this is true) and 8/900k is an example.
I expect that we have interest but not at those numbers - Gaff is a much better option if the deals are similar.

Purely speculation I assume here Wizz?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Not speculation that he used to wear Hawk colours as a junior, and that he supported the Dees.
His father told me about 3 yrs ago that the plan was to one day return to Vic. The constant travel was the concern as he felt it would reduce the longevity of his career. At that stage Essendon and Richmond were in regular contact with his manager. That is the fact part.

Speculation is that he will return, otherwise he would have signed by now. And what a great boost for the Eagles it would be if that happened during GF week, even though Gaff would not be in the 22.
So he will return and will go to a good club, not a third tier Norf or Saints.
But there have been zero leaks. Whoever does have him is good at keeping it 100% quiet. Modus operandi of you know who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that other clubs have to pay way overs to attract talent is a reality of the current market place. Dylan Shiel chasing 7 year deals (if this is true) and 8/900k is an example.
I expect that we have interest but not at those numbers - Gaff is a much better option if the deals are similar.
The current market place is a strange place, there’s no real history to suggest what long term effects rewarding B+ to A- players such as Shiel with such wreckless contracts will cause. A struggling club like Carlton will struggle to retain young improvers if they keep paying top dollar to those they bring in from other clubs and trying to change their culture.
For a club like us, paying overs will no doubt cause unrest amongst players, some 3 time premiership players no less, and it just creates problems when existing players renew their contracts, expecting more and deservedly so if they’ve been at the club for years, performing and taking us to finals/ flags for probably less than market rate.

The current market place is a strange place, there’s no real history to suggest what long term effects rewarding B+ to A- players such as Shiel with such wreckless contracts will cause. A struggling club like Carlton will struggle to retain young improvers if they keep paying top dollar to those they bring in from other clubs and trying to change their culture.
For a club like us, paying overs will no doubt cause unrest amongst players, some 3 time premiership players no less, and it just creates problems when existing players renew their contracts, expecting more and deservedly so if they’ve been at the club for years, performing and taking us to finals/ flags for probably less than market rate.

People need to forget the fanciful dreams of getting Gaff, facts are other clubs will be offering a shit load more cash than us and it's becoming increasingly more common that players value the dollar over team success. We aren't paying 1m a season or more for either Gaff or Shiel, where that leaves us I have no idea.

People need to forget the fanciful dreams of getting Gaff, facts are other clubs will be offering a shit load more cash than us and it's becoming increasingly more common that players value the dollar over team success. We aren't paying 1m a season or more for either Gaff or Shiel, where that leaves us I have no idea.

Unless you're Tom Lynch who has supposedly chosen Richmond on less money than all other offers.

That leaves us in a position to get a really good player from those clubs once they run into trouble. EG A Dow or McKay from Carlton or a Uniake-Davies from Norf. This is a waiting game for the right player at the right time not a shoot your load at the first thing you see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back