List Mgmt. Hawthorn Trade and FA news discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current market place is a strange place, there’s no real history to suggest what long term effects rewarding B+ to A- players such as Shiel with such wreckless contracts will cause. A struggling club like Carlton will struggle to retain young improvers if they keep paying top dollar to those they bring in from other clubs and trying to change their culture.
For a club like us, paying overs will no doubt cause unrest amongst players, some 3 time premiership players no less, and it just creates problems when existing players renew their contracts, expecting more and deservedly so if they’ve been at the club for years, performing and taking us to finals/ flags for probably less than market rate.

Trying to think of examples similar to the Shiel situation of a good player going to a shit club for cash but nothing else. Maybe Dale Thomas?

People need to forget the fanciful dreams of getting Gaff, facts are other clubs will be offering a shit load more cash than us and it's becoming increasingly more common that players value the dollar over team success. We aren't paying 1m a season or more for either Gaff or Shiel, where that leaves us I have no idea.
That’s the reality. As much as people here want us to pull every top free agent/ trade in this offseason, reality is we have little to no surplus in players/ picks. If we land Shiel or Wingard don’t be suprised if we have to say goodbye to someone we wish we didn’t.
We are effectively not going to land a big free agent unless we change our payment/contract strategy, unfortunately money talks, and we no longer have the dream list of 5 years ago to attract players.

Gaff seems as though he will take the North offer.

Even though he hasn't made the mind up, surely it's just to appease the GF build up.
Exactly what is he doing that makes it seem that he'll take the norf offer?

He's as good as ours, only thing worth discussing is what number we give him.

That’s the reality. As much as people here want us to pull every top free agent/ trade in this offseason, reality is we have little to no surplus in players/ picks. If we land Shiel or Wingard don’t be suprised if we have to say goodbye to someone we wish we didn’t.
We are effectively not going to land a big free agent unless we change our payment/contract strategy, unfortunately money talks, and we no longer have the dream list of 5 years ago to attract players.

That's something we need to get better at rather quick as you did have to give up assets to land them, we haven't really worked out the free agent game yet.

Trying to think of examples similar to the Shiel situation of a good player going to a shit club for cash but nothing else. Maybe Dale Thomas?
It’s a little different now when players such as Shiel are getting godfather offers. I’m tipping the club believes he would be a valuable piece to add but hardly a Dusty or Franklin that’s worth the reported offers he’s getting from other clubs.

People need to forget the fanciful dreams of getting Gaff, facts are other clubs will be offering a shit load more cash than us and it's becoming increasingly more common that players value the dollar over team success. We aren't paying 1m a season or more for either Gaff or Shiel, where that leaves us I have no idea.

If we want to be in the market we will have to pay more than in the past and remember the salary cap seems to rise every year. We might not be the highest bidders and throwing numbers around unlike some other clubs but we will always be a destination club known for it's Success, Strong values, Good administration, Coach's, Fitness and Medical team that should attract players.

That leaves us in a position to get a really good player from those clubs once they run into trouble. EG A Dow or McKay from Carlton or a Uniake-Davies from Norf. This is a waiting game for the right player at the right time not a shoot your load at the first thing you see

Pfft, cheh, yeah.. I mean, who does that.. pff, so lame....

Tell me some players that have gone for these godfather offers 1.3 million dollar a season to a weaker side. I will tell you some in recent season who have turned down substantially less.
D.martin
J.kelly.
P.dangerfield.
R.sloane.

Whats your list ? ( dangerfield is a bit different he had the go home factor)

Incorrect. I’ve been banging on that TL was always going to Richmond. FWIW can’t see how TL and Richmond can’t nut out a deal relatively soon.

When a player such as TL says he wants to come to you, can’t see how Richmond can’t make it happen one way or another. I hold pretty much zero hope of the two not working something out.

I believe what Top is saying about progress stalling between the two camps but seriously, Richmond would have to be dead set incompetent not to work something out, you just do whatever it takes I.e what we did to get JOM across....

It’s Richmond. Every no w and then they fluke it and get something to work. Mostly it’s just chicken manure and microwaves, with a lot of WTF’s happening.

If we want to be in the market we will have to pay more than in the past and remember the salary cap seems to rise every year. We might not be the highest bidders and throwing numbers around unlike some other clubs but we will always be a destination club known for it's Success, Strong values, Good administration, Coach's, Fitness and Medical team that should attract players.

I agree 100%, we simply need to be in the "ball game"... whether that's 900-950k for Shiel in lieu of the 1.1m being touted then so be it. Before posters crack up about paying, we all need to understand that we are living under a forever increasing salary cap which increases the value of deals we do now as they get older.

From reading Wrights comments on the draft I feel he doesn't rate it as highly as some, he mentioned the 1st 6-7 guys are exceptional but after that it's very even. What that days to me is we are, without doubt moving our 1st rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to forget the fanciful dreams of getting Gaff, We aren't paying 1m a season or more for either Gaff or Shiel, where that leaves us I have no idea.
I agree 100%, we simply need to be in the "ball game"... whether that's 900-950k for Shiel in lieu of the 1.1m being touted then so be it. Before posters crack up about paying, we all need to understand that we are living under a forever increasing salary cap which increases the value of deals we do now as they get older.
Well that’s embarrassing

From reading Wrights comments on the draft I feel he doesn't rate it as highly as some, he mentioned the 1st 6-7 guys are exceptional but after that it's very even. What that days to me is we are, without doubt moving our 1st rounder.

No doubt, that pick is gone now.

In terms of paying the dollars, we have to meet in the middle here. We can't keep getting blown out of the water by minnow clubs, and we do need to acknowledge the changing landscape of FA and increases in cap limits.

I'm not saying going all "Crazy Vossy", but we need to get with the program. We are no longer "the destination club", and we are now competing with the likes of Richmond, Melbourne and Essendon for the types we want. We can't offer the promise of flags like we could during the 3 peat. Clubs are building world class facilities. Coaching and fitness departments are similar now.

It's an arms race, and some clubs have caught up. We're in the fight with them. And it means upping the ante with coin.

Move with the times Hawthorn, or get left behind.

My first post re Dylan Shiel. Been waiting for clear intent and some reliable information. It appears to be between us and Carlton. Same informed money is on us.

If we do happen to get Shiel, what is the general feeling on deals outside of that ? Or would the Shiel trade handcuff us for obvious reasons regarding any other A graders.

If we do happen to get Shiel, what is the general feeling on deals outside of that ? Or would the Shiel trade handcuff us for obvious reasons regarding any mother A graders.

I still believe GWS have interest in Cegs. I would be surprised if he was not involved should it go ahead. Should this transpire, Cegs involvement, you would expect we will retain picks for more activity.

My genuine want to gain Cogs and my understanding of a commitment we have given him, leaves me confused.

Last edited:
Well that’s embarrassing

Why? Being around the mark is what we need to do, being 5-10-15% off the mooted offers keeps us under the 1m mark which Clarko is insistent on doing.

Tell me hows that embarrassing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back