List Mgmt. Hawthorn Trade and FA news discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just needed to remind myself of what I thought of Shiel before I got caught up in the trade hype.

Now I'm calm.

We missed out on a really good midfielder that we wanted. Not the GOAT.

And we didn't even have to fly him to Noosa on a private jet.
Does the jet trip still count in the soft cap for carltank? Hilarious if it does!

He wanted us, but we weren't prepared to pay what GWS wanted. Connors gave us a few days to work it out. Essendon came back into the frame late, and Connors could see that they were willing to pay the price that GWS were looking for, and directed his client that they were the easiest way to a new home.

Will be interesting to see what essendon Give up for him.

I'm happy enough that the club baulked at a 5/6 year deal and I think 2 x firsts is overs for Shiel (considering TOM was pick 14)…. however the idea of offering $1M-ish for this type of player that can make us better, even if he isn't the crème de la crème, is something we need to get used to. Doesn't matter that Buddy's contract was in that ball park and he's a generational player. The landscape has changed and the $1M of 2014 isn't the $1M of 2019 onwards.

In the end I think it was the trade price, rather than $$, that cost us. But as supporters, as I said, I think we need to get used to the idea of more and more players getting these contracts and sooner rather than later the Hawks will be signing someone on for these numbers.

Wow people on here seriously overrating Wingard

2x All Australian
Has kicked 50 plus goals in a season

can play as a forward or a mid

Clarkson is a fan - I'll go with his judgement over yours every single day of the week

That was exactly everybody said last year, too.

The fact you suddenly think we are suddenly going to spiral in the complete opposite direction to the one we have actually SHOWN, purely because we failed landing ONE player (that we did want) is a sad reminder about how people's perceptions in this place are so warped by this strange trade week hysteria.

No, we didn't get Shiel. But there is week to go, we have our first pick, we have options, and we have Clarkson. Such defeatism just isn't warranted.
Adelaide & Essendon both missed the finals last year after making it the year before.

I don't think it is unreasonable to say we may slip a bit next year with a harder draw and opposition teams improving.

With all the doom and gloom, everyone needs to look at what the hawks did in 2009/10 with player movement and drafting. This period is only part of the picture. No one thought Gibson was A grade when traded in. No one thought mature players like Stratton or Pup drafted past pick 45 would be premiership players. History might not repeat, but Hawks have a strong identification and development system and until they prove otherwise I’d back them in to make the right decisions

Back then though we had drafted a core such as Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughead, Lewis, Birchall and Rioli, so it was a lot easier to add B grade pieces around them.

Hope we have a left field target like a Cameron Rayner. Just what we need can be a bull in the middle and clunk marks and kick goals up forward. In a few more years could be even better than Dusty at his prime. Rate Rayner higher than Shiel who looked soft as butter outside player in the finals.

He wanted us, but we weren't prepared to pay what GWS wanted. Connors gave us a few days to work it out. Essendon came back into the frame late, and Connors could see that they were willing to pay the price that GWS were looking for, and directed his client that they were the easiest way to a new home.
I just find that hard to believe. Would be one of the first times in AFL history that a player cares more about the club they are wanting to leave then the club they want to go to.

Up until yesterday as Sam maclure said it was all hawthorn...essendon were not in the picture ...last 24 hours what’s changed for him to accept lowest $$ offer and go to Essendon ??...smells like AFL Influence, they do not want more hawthorn premierships and are desperate for essendon and Carlton to come up

Shiel is an idiot and Wingard is a lightweight. No place for them at Hawthorn.

I think Clarkson is a very big fan of Chad but his last couple of years have been ordinary as he says himself, going through some personal issues etc.

The fact is however the guy is an absolute gun if he gets the right mentors as Clarko would know better than anyone.

Go back a year or so and compare Shiel to getting Wingard would be laughable (like my posts) but seriously the guy can play big time if on song.

Would Port take pick 14 for him? Probably not. Throw in O'Brien? Done deal? Not sure? Schoenmakers I still like as a high half forward as is quite quick for his height. Superb kicking skills, can take a mark. Just play him wing and forward please and think he could be a valuable player. O'Brien I always saw something in him also, just bloody hold the marks. Yes, okay I have no idea.. It must be Barlow..lol.. I think this website has officially made me insane...

I have a feeling Chad may be a Hawk next year whatever the case.

If not let's trust in what we've got now and develop and bring in some young guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Up until yesterday as Sam maclure said it was all hawthorn...essendon were not in the picture ...last 24 hours what’s changed for him to accept lowest $$ offer and go to Essendon ??...smells like AFL Influence, they do not want more hawthorn premierships and are desperate for essendon and Carlton to come up

This is what was hinted to me from an inside source last night. Who would know.

We simply must get better at

Out of curiosity how many times has our 1st round pick produced a better player than Wingard in the last 10 years ?

I’ll play,

Rioli
Smith
Hill
Burton

That is the last 11 (had to fit Cyril in :)). We have traded 6 first round picks out. Missed one with TOB.

Hawks don’t miss - except TOB

Let’s go back to the draft.

Things aren't all lost - If we could snare Wingard and a Dom Tyson type we'd have improved our midfield and added some class up front. There's also Scrimshaw and Finlayson as possible HBF's to release Hardwick, Burton and Sicily to different roles

Chins up everyone

He's looked like a real plodder in the last 2 years.

I’ll play,

Rioli
Smith
Hill
Burton

That is the last 11 (had to fit Cyril in :)). We have traded 6 first round picks out. Missed one with TOB.

So you're saying Brad Hill is better than Chad Wingard ? I hope you weren't one of those posters that didn't mind the fact we only got pick 23 for a contracted Brad Hill then.

True if he really wanted to be a hawk then he would of nominated us. Not the end of the world though.

What I believe is we were his 1st choice but GW new we probably didn’t have enough to satisfy GWS in a trade so it was us that told Dylan not to nominate us so it wouldn’t look so bad when / if we pulled out. This way when we go to Plan B (Wingard) it doesn’t look as bad. I truly belive he wanted to come to us and would’ve nominated us but it came down to us giving up 2 x 1st rounders which we were not.

We’ll see if Chad nominates us and if he does then you’ll know it’s because he wants to come.

I’ll play,

Rioli
Smith
Hill
Burton

Hill wasn't a first rounder.

Other than Rioli yo'd be hard pressed to say the others were better than Wingard who is an out and out all Australian star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back