List Mgmt. Hawthorn Trade and FA news discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the smart thing to do is to review the strategy after the fact (after the trade period) and say "It's not achieving the results we want so let's changing".

The dumb thing to do is to revise on the run and get drawn into deviating from the strategy you went into the trade period with.

The challenge though, is that if you go in with an unsuccessful strategy and you miss out on the annual opportunity to improve your list you can really leave a hole in your list.

I agree with most of what you said but missing out on that so called annual opportunity to improve your list only hurts if you miss out o that solid A grader type talent. Missing out on Shiel would suck but not if you miss out on him at 950k-1mil annually over 7 years. The focus also has to be set when Sic and others come out of contract. If we end up over paying Shiel we just might end up losing one of our young and up and comers further down the line.

Tom Mitchell was getting held back by Sydney, Dylan Shiel has a starting midfield spot. We've seen what Shiel can do but Titch had a largely unexplored amount of potential and is now performing to that level.

Completely different.

Agreed that there is a diff in terms of one player not always being a regular vs one playing every week however I wouldn’t quite go as far as saying “unexplored potential”. He played 65 games for the Swans, plus he was arguably their best player in the 2016 GF, there was enough there to have a fair degree of confidence that he would come in and do the job, the Swans would have known it as well, they just had their other guys ahead of him at that stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you would see SoS jogging around the streets up there not an uncommon sight, I believe he has property up there so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to try and impress, show what Carlton cash looks like.
Ahh, it all makes sense because I actually saw his better half on the flight up.

I'd rank Wingard somewhere 30-50 in regards to current players in the competition, he has the potential to be better than that but as things stand based on output that's where he'd be.

Me too. Clarko knows where not far off when you look at the Pies list. Then you look at the Tiges shitting the bed. The comp is so even. We just have to nail this trade period.
Tigers really did shit the bed.
Totally overawed by a less talented opponent.

Just goes to show how difficult it is to go back to back. EXTREMELY rare.

I'd rank Wingard somewhere 30-50 in regards to current players in the competition, he has the potential to be better than that but as things stand based on output that's where he'd be.

We can't be left behind, we have to nail a few A-Graders, if Wingard is the one most attainable then lets get the deal done. No more news on it though which is odd considering players are starting to make noise about club preferences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't be left behind, we have to nail a few A-Graders, if Wingard is the one most attainable then lets get the deal done. No more news on it though which is odd considering players are starting to make noise about club preferences.

Yeah I do agree we need to nail 2-3 A graders over this off season and next and hopefully we can be in a position to win it in 2020.

FWIW Shiel did visit Waverley yesterday.

Source: club employee who saw him there.

As for Gaff, not having made up his mind at this stage is nonsense. He is leaving but does not want to derail Eagles' preparation (this is just my opinion but it makes no sense that he would stay and not have signed by now). Where he is going is anyone's guess. Given free agency status, he should be our #1, but there has been no suggestion anywhere that he is.

FWIW Shiel did visit Waverley yesterday.

Source: club employee who saw him there.

As for Gaff, not having made up his mind at this stage is nonsense. He is leaving but does not want to derail Eagles' preparation (this is just my opinion but it makes no sense that he would stay and not have signed by now). Where he is going is anyone's guess. Given free agency status, he should be our #1, but there has been no suggestion anywhere that he is.
There was an AGE article a while ago saying we were there chasing him with Shiel as a back up, and Tiger71 posted a little snippet that Gaff would turn his back on North’s offer in favor of us....but otherwise that bolded part is classic Hawthorn.

Never does his hair, rare from a footy player not to love himself a bit.
That's the look.

Gaff has had more than enough time to re-sign with the Eagles. Clear he is waiting til after Saturday to announce he is returning to Melbs for family reasons. Wore the Hawk colours as a kid for Kew Comets. Just sayin..

I don't understand drumming up hope about Gaff. I'd love to get him, but has there really been any strong mail or indication that we're interested at all?
A BF poster said he and Clarko had coffee on Glenferrie road a few weeks back just prior to the Dees Elimination final. That's the only thing I've seen.

Gaff seems as though he will take the North offer.

Even though he hasn't made the mind up, surely it's just to appease the GF build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back