Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a little disappointed in Amon as well but he will still be getting use to his team mates and that skinny ground would help a wingman looking for space.

Surprised with the yearly rebuild of the stadium they couldn't at least make the ground bigger.

Amon would be a better player in a better team.

Granted you could say this about most players, but his style in particular would be more effective in a strong team that can win the ball out of the middle. He may find it tougher this season compared to his last few at Port.

Worpel
Nash
Kosi
Frost

Enough exposure now to confirm these guys need replacing. Frost will need to play this season as DGB not ready and no one else on the list as a KP defender. It's a major hole.

Finn is borderline due to his kicking.
Chad looking old.

Butler not ready yet.
Lynch behind Meek and Reeves who both look ok.

Jeka has more ability than Kosi so he should be first option up fwd.

Have found one with Fergus. Hustwaite too looks an AFL player. OSullivan Bennett's should be fast tracked into the seniors got something. BMac got something too but not ready yet.

Ward looks terrific. Daisy looks good as a mid.

Agree that Scrim was awful and Sic not interested.

These games mean nothing for season performance for the team. But the same patterns for players that have question marks over their heads showed up again. I think big list changes again at the end of this season. Need talls.

Future fox commentators no doubt

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
C7 more like it

As for the game.
Kardinia Park is a nightmare for starters.
Geelong was pretty much at full strength and not trying too much new gameplan wise, whilst hawks were experimenting with a developing gameplan.
Hawks weren't bad between the arcs, it was the last 20m or so which hurt - about the extra length of the ground

We will surprise many

One observation I had was our players looked exhausted a lot of the time. Hands on legs hobbled over gasping for breath. Maybe when you are chasing a lot it takes it out of you, I hope that is the case and we are not underdone.
Think you nailed it. When there's no synergy amongst the team it must feel like you have to work a lot harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worpel
Nash
Kosi
Frost

Enough exposure now to confirm these guys need replacing. Frost will need to play this season as DGB not ready and no one else on the list as a KP defender. It's a major hole.

Finn is borderline due to his kicking.
Chad looking old.

Butler not ready yet.
Lynch behind Meek and Reeves who both look ok.

Jeka has more ability than Kosi so he should be first option up fwd.

Have found one with Fergus. Hustwaite too looks an AFL player. OSullivan Bennett's should be fast tracked into the seniors got something. BMac got something too but not ready yet.

Ward looks terrific. Daisy looks good as a mid.

Agree that Scrim was awful and Sic not interested.

These games mean nothing for season performance for the team. But the same patterns for players that have question marks over their heads showed up again. I think big list changes again at the end of this season. Need talls.

Yes, 'match simulation' against the reigning premiers in February is certainly enough exposure...

Far out.

In the first practice match of 2021 against the Western Bulldogs, Oli Hanrahan kicked 3 goals in a quarter and looked like a star while Dylan Moore struggled and barely touched the footy 10 times. Guess what happened come seasons end? One finished top 5 in the B&F and the other was delisted.

Nash has played one full season as a midfielder and now finds himself as one of the leaders in there. He's still adapting to that role. I say all of this despite having been one of his decorators in recent years.
Frost was in fantastic form early last season then missed the second half of the year through injury. He's building back into match fitness.

Have SOME patience, please.

There was no point mentioning it for obvious reasons, but the umpires had the least impressive performance on the ground last night. Some horrific missed calls and this 50m penalty in particular was just bizarre.
For Hawks and Geelong, it was a simulation. For the umpires, it was a rehearsal. Expect a lot worse when the 4th umpire gets introduced.

From what I saw yesterday our team defence seemed completely non-existent. Hoping that won't continue throughout the season or it will be a pretty long one
Yep - on nearly every turnover (of which there were plenty) Geelong seemed able to get forward entries quite comfortably.

Probably a combination of quite a few new faces in the midfield and a desire to attack and create, but not necessarily to set up to defend on turnover. Hopefully that improves significantly in the next couple of weeks.

Many here believe our backline is top notch (which I think is a bit of a stretch) but they PLAY VERY LOOSE and this was clearly exposed last night.

Plenty of defensive “learnings” came out of that hit out.

Tell you what, Finn was impressive today. His strength is incredible but he was also able to open up the game with his handballs multiple times. Been able to hit players 20m outside the area of pressure is very valuable. Newk the other one who can do it (but we know he is already a star
His repeat efforts were also impressive. There was at least one chain of play where he got touches at half back, on the wing and again on half forward.

Also, his talk stood out. Especially around stoppages and the 1st quarter CBAs, he was doing a lot of talking and organising.

I am not sure Sic Dimma and Frost were that interested to be honest no real intensity it is a practice game. Still it wasn't a good look and its never good to be thrashed especially with the kids in there as they lose confidence quickly

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back