Preview Hawthorn v Melbourne - MCG, 9 August 2014, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without joking, I would give us a chance of a win if we fielded a decent Box Hill team.

B: Heatherley Brand - Litherland

HB: Kelly - Cheney - Mira

C: Billy - Hallahan - Ross

HF: Tobin - Sicily - Murphy

F: Grimley - Ceglar - O'Brien

R: Lowden Sewell Woodward

Int: Illes - Wanganeen - Kennedy
Sub: Webster

From another thread, if Melb 2014 would beat Hawks 1989, then would this side beat Hawks 1989 as well.o_O

Sorry for the intrusion but is Billy Hartung likely to play in the kermit suit tomorow?

C'mon man that's a croc...Litherland hasn't had a spoil all year?
Dureya is strong in the air when played on a player his height (small/medium forward ) which is the type Litherland should be playing on, Litherland has been left one out on Franklin Stringer etc of late, before that he was taking the smalls and in doing so taking them to the cleaners. He has speed agility and height over Dureya.
Litherland should not be fighting with Birchall in the side. He's fighting with Dureya. We have two rebound options that we want left unchecked and are our preferred options to have ball in hand Suckling Birchall, 2 KP players defenders third tall in Stratton, someone has to be playing a lock down job on the small/medium forward that's between Litherland or Dureya.

good points, maybe i undervalued Litherlands spoiling and defensive work, i just feel that Duryea should've played in last seasons finals series and i would be disappointed to see him miss another finals series as there is little between Duryea and Litherland......only that Duryea has had 2 great seasons and if he gets screwed over twice for finals i would not understand that treatment of a player that hasn't done anything wrong in 2 years....

Cheers, dream team dilemma

Just to make it harder for you - I reckon Hartung will be Sub. Simpkin has earnt a full game.
In my view Hartung will only play after this game if Smith or Hill are reinjured (or late outs?)

It's feasible that he is there to take Cyril's role... but I don't know that Cyril really has a 'role' in the team. His role is go out there and be Cyril. Hard to really replace that.

good points, maybe i undervalued Litherlands spoiling and defensive work, i just feel that Duryea should've played in last seasons finals series and i would be disappointed to see him miss another finals series as there is little between Duryea and Litherland......only that Duryea has had 2 great seasons and if he gets screwed over twice for finals i would not understand that treatment of a player that hasn't done anything wrong in 2 years....

Dureya should have played ? someone else was in our squad in a defensive post that was less deserving ?! Dureya is a good player and can potentially be a very good player. But if someone is better..... then they get the spot, its not about getting screwed over.
Litherland has limitations, his kicking and in the air against KP height players. Dureya on the other hand has a nice kick yet his decision making lets him down..... I'm going to go as far as to say that Dureya is the worst decision maker in our side when it gets a little tight and space is at a minimum...he makes some woeful clangers.

It comes down to who is the most equipped to take the best small forward out of Litherland or Dureya. I personally think its Litherland, he has the speed, agility, recovery time and height in the air over Dureya. Most of all he brings an ingredient to our back half that it genuinely lacks....... speed.

Last edited:
Any chance Gus could become that big bodied mid so many are calling out for. He turns 22 later this year, is 192cm and 90kg. so he has the right body. We do talk about him like he is getting on to 50 games, when in fact he's only played 12. I see a great future here, and I was over the moon when we extended his contract.

I like to see this happen too. He has too much grunt to qualify for a test in the middle. But may not see it happen even for a try this year. Good call TH...

Just to make it harder for you - I reckon Hartung will be Sub. Simpkin has earnt a full game.
In my view Hartung will only play after this game if Smith or Hill are reinjured (or late outs?)

It's feasible that he is there to take Cyril's role... but I don't know that Cyril really has a 'role' in the team. His role is go out there and be Cyril. Hard to really replace that.

I might just roll the dice with him anyway, I am not in a knockout final and really don't want to use a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that a first year kid is forcing his way into the senior team at this time of year speaks volumes for the Lad....His run & carry is the crucial ingredient necessary to breaking up any attempted choke hold on behalf of Roosey's Demons.....It's the one factor which could see him get the Subs vest come finals.
That wouldn't be utilising the guys skill set. The beauty of Hartung is he has an engine and can run at pace an entire game. In terms of fitness he is only behind Hill and Izzy. My guess he was named as insurance for Izzy.

The sub needs to be an impact player as well as a runner. If we had 2 Cyril's one would have the sub vest.

Last edited:
That wouldn't be utilising the guys skill set. The beauty of Hartung is he has an engine and can run at pace an entire game. Only behind Hill and Izzy. My guess is either Izzy or Hill are under an injury cloud and one of will be a late withdrawal.

The sub needs to be an impact player as well as a runner. If we had 2 Cyril's one would have the sub vest.

Your forgetting one thing....His size..... In a big final with larger bodies Hartung would be brushed aside & crunched with ease....Not until late in the second half when all the other players have tired & lost the ability to catch/hurt him, would I want to utilize his run & carry asset. It would be at this stage where his weapons would be at a premium!

As for Cyril....If he is fully fit then he would never wear the subs vest, even if we had 2 of him!....We can all dream.

Your forgetting one thing....His size..... In a big final with larger bodies Hartung would be brushed aside & crunched with ease....Not until late in the second half when all the other players have tired & lost the ability to catch/hurt him, would I want to utilize his run & carry asset. It would be at this stage where his weapons would be at a premium!

As for Cyril....If he is fully fit then he would never wear the subs vest, even if we had 2 of him!....We can all dream.
True, but he's not too dissimilar in size to Hill v2013 who played full games in the back half of the year. In theory he should impact a game in the last quarter but just hasn't with the opportunities he's had so far.

Dureya should have played ? someone else was in our squad in a defensive post that was less deserving ?! Dureya is a good player and can potentially be a very good player. But if someone is better..... then they get the spot, its not about getting screwed over.
Litherland has limitations in his kicking and in the air against KP height players. Dureya on the otherhand has a nice kick yet his decision making lets him down and is too small for KP height players, I'm going to go as far as to say that Dureya is the worst decision maker in our side when it gets a little tight and space is at a minimum...he makes some woeful clangers.

It comes down to who is the most equipped to take the best small forward out of Litheland and Dureya. I personally think its Litherland, he has the speed, agility, recovery time and height in the air over Dureya. Most of all he brings an ingredient to our back half that it genuinely lacks....... speed.

at least try and spell his name right, Duryea......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back