Preview Hawthorn v Melbourne - MCG, 9 August 2014, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Melbournes entire forward line will be inside the Hawks F50 for the whole match what exactly was Litherland going to do do all day anyway?
Maybe kick a few goals without worrying about leaving his man unaccounted for?

Hodgey late out for Lithers? Hodgey gets a rest before 3 tough games to build up for Finals.

No player has played every round this season. The maximum games played are 18 by the following:

Birch
Suckers
Burger
Breust
Poppy

We don't want to be cocky but this is our last chance to freshen up some of the older/tired legs. On another note we also need to get some run into the likes of Sewell and Lake(when back from suspension) before the finals.

Hodgey late out for Lithers? Hodgey gets a rest before 3 tough games to build up for Finals.

No player has played every round this season. The maximum games played are 18 by the following:

Birch
Suckers
Burger
Breust
Poppy

We don't want to be cocky but this is our last chance to freshen up some of the older/tired legs. On another note we also need to get some run into the likes of Sewell and Lake(when back from suspension) before the finals.
They had a rest 2 weeks ago. No need to rest unless there is a legit injury that will be benefited by a rest. You also need to look at the way we play, we have no midfielders ranked in the top 15 for average disposals yet we lead the AFL in disposals because we share the workload on the field meaning we aren't flogging our players.

Resting just because the opposition isn't as strong is fraught with danger. Rest because it's required and for no other reason.

If we beat Freo & Cats we can rest players v Pies.
In the unliley event that we have no new injuries, I doubt we will see Lithers again untul 2015.
Sewell in for Langford
Rioli for Hartung
Lake for Spanger
Gunston for Duryea

We will end up with
McEvoy for Bailey
Suckers for Goo
Shoe for Buddy
from our first 21 from the 13GF.
Simpkin likely sub again.

Not saying this is my preference, just my prediction of what Clarko will do.

Hartung I think is in because of recent injuries to Cyril, Smith and Hill. I think the coaches need to figure out if he can come in - if we lose one of them for September.

The fact that a first year kid is forcing his way into the senior team at this time of year speaks volumes for the Lad....His run & carry is the crucial ingredient necessary to breaking up any attempted choke hold on behalf of Roosey's Demons.....It's the one factor which could see him get the Subs vest come finals.

Birch
Suckers
Burger
Breust
Poppy

Those players have played every game Hawthorn have played this season. The first bye only makes it look like some players haven't played every game if comparing the round number to games played.

Let's face it, most of our senior players have had a rest (or two) due to injury and/or, ahem, suspension already. As we still have a few out due to said injuries and suspensions I don't think there will be any pure resting going on this week. There may be a player with a niggle we don't know about though.
Take your ridiculous logic and begone with you. Just because it seems the coaches agree with you it means nought!

Don't mind the outs except for gunners
Think lither was tiring or carrying a niggle as he was down in his last two games - could also be a late in
Hale needs a big dose of "finding form" this week
Looking forward to hartung getting back and was gladdened to hear that Sewell will play at BH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birch
Suckers
Burger
Breust
Poppy
I don't think you've taken into account the bye. 18 games played would mean they have played every round!

IMO there is only 2 positions for Litherland, Duryea and Stratton. I am a big Stratts fan - but would mind seeing him under the pump. Seems to do well under pressure.
While Stratton is not playing his best footy atm he has Litherland covered purely because Stratton is so much better in the air, this will keep Stratts in.

I love Litherland but his biggest weakness is he is very poor in the air. For a guy of his height he doesn't seem to be able to play tall, its strange I've seen short players be able to play tall but don't think I've ever seen a tallish player only be able to play small before.

IMO Litherland needs to be played as a small defender, giving Betts a bath is evidence of this. So him and Duryea look to be playing for the same spot and Duryea put his nose in front on the weekend.

While Stratton is not playing his best footy atm he has Litherland covered purely because Stratton is so much better in the air, this will keep Stratts in.

I love Litherland but his biggest weakness is he is very poor in the air. For a guy of his height he doesn't seem to be able to play tall, its strange I've seen short players be able to play tall but don't think I've ever seen a tallish player only be able to play small before.

IMO Litherland needs to be played as a small defender, giving Betts a bath is evidence of this. So him and Duryea look to be playing for the same spot and Duryea put his nose in front on the weekend.
Its weird people think Strats with Lithers. I think Birch. To me he is a rebounder.

I would rather have a few late changes here as in resting guys who've had blocks of playing & have everyone ready to go from the Freo game.
Not a fan of resting a few players in the Collingwood game Rd.23. Remember the last round 2011 v Gold Coast. We rested heaps of players, just scrapped a win & were very flat in the Qualifying V Geelong.
No if players need a break give it to them this week & then charge towards the main prize.

Okay, let me get my checklist out:
  • Playing at the MCG - CHECK
  • Weather will be nice, not cold at all - CHECK
  • No chance of rain or hurricane wind - CHECK
  • Prime time Saturday game for a 2:10pm start - CHECK
This sounds like perfect conditions for the elite running player in the competition to return.

Isaac 'The Flash' Smith is an exciting 'IN' for this week! :thumbsu:

Okay, let me get my checklist out:
  • Playing at the MCG - CHECK
  • Weather will be nice, not cold at all - CHECK
  • No chance of rain or hurricane wind - CHECK
  • Prime time Saturday game for a 2:10pm start - CHECK
This sounds like perfect conditions for the elite running player in the competition to return.

Isaac 'The Flash' Smith is an exciting 'IN' for this week! :thumbsu:

Sorry to burst your bubble man, but its a 4:40pm start Saturday.

Don't agree with positional changes but I think we'd be foolish not to rest a few of our senior players. The real season begins next week and it's then any injuries could prove catastrophic.
If someone is not 100%, they get a rest. We had a bye a few weeks ago, the players should be right to go. Not to mention half the team has had time off through the year with extended injuries. We need the team playing as much time together as they can. We have already had too much time with makeshift teams. They need to start to gel as a unit in my view, so that, combined with the bye and injuries, is why I think we don't tinker at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back