Preview Hawthorn v Melbourne - MCG, 9 August 2014, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a team like Hawthorn, there is no shame in being dropped IMO. Doesn't mean you're not good or haven't been playing well, it just means you're not best 22 for that week. Plenty of time for Gus to be a regular in the Hawthorn line up in years to come, meanwhile he'll continue to get valuable experience in a good VFL side at Box Hill.

Omitted is a harsh way when we mean rested, or squeezed out. All the year our fringe players have kept us in the best position to finish top 2, now when some top players return, someone has to make way. If this weren't the case, we wouldn't be in the position we are in today. Some players will be very disappointed finals time. I don't believe Gus will be one.

Hard call on Lithers but he looked a little tired last week and Doc played a great game. Might have come down to a decision between the 2, based on how they shaped up against the Dogs. He has had a great taste, lets hope he continues to press to get back in before September.

Good to see Billy back in. It will be a good chance to see if he will take part in September. Good to see that we went with a strong line up and no real resting of players for the sake of saving them for the run home.

Its weird people think Strats with Lithers. I think Birch. To me he is a rebounder.

I don't think players are so one dimensional.

Sure Suckling, Duryea and Birch are rebounders. Stratton and Litherland (190cm) IMO are defenders but both can move the Ball out of defence. Duryea is a good defender too - but he's short.

While Stratton is not playing his best footy atm he has Litherland covered purely because Stratton is so much better in the air, this will keep Stratts in.

I love Litherland but his biggest weakness is he is very poor in the air. For a guy of his height he doesn't seem to be able to play tall, its strange I've seen short players be able to play tall but don't think I've ever seen a tallish player only be able to play small before.

IMO Litherland needs to be played as a small defender, giving Betts a bath is evidence of this. So him and Duryea look to be playing for the same spot and Duryea put his nose in front on the weekend.

These are good points. Against say Sydney (lots of talls) though - would Duryea still get the nod?

These are good points. Against say Sydney (lots of talls) though - would Duryea still get the nod?

funilly enough, Duryea is better than Litherland in the air and is only an inch or 2 shorter, so probably, i would say if a team plays short forwards Litherland might get the nod.......whereas Duryea can play on tall or small forwards

of the backmen we have

Lake/Gibson/Schoey/Spangher play as KPD's (theres only room for 2 imo - example is Schoe playing forward last week)

Birchall/Duryea/Litherland/Suckling play as hbf's on the smaller forwards or play the rebound loose man

Hodge/Burgoyne are basically the champions that float through the backline when needed

Last edited:
I don't think players are so one dimensional.

Sure Suckling, Duryea and Birch are rebounders. Stratton and Litherland (190cm) IMO are defenders but both can move the Ball out of defence. Duryea is a good defender too - but he's short.

I wouldn't say Duryea offers too much rebound. Is a good shut down defender though. Sure they are not one dimensional but if you were to rate the 5 players you mentioned in order I would have

Shut down defending
Stratton
Litherland
Duryea
Birchall
Suckling

Rebound
Birchall
Suckling
Litherland
Stratton
Duryea

13cm is a pretty big difference...

yea it is, but Litherland grabs at his opponent and i havnt seen a spoil from him all year, he has great attributes with his speed and ability to use the ball and he monsters small forwards in all areas, but Duryea is very strong in the air, not only a good spoiler, but a intercept marker and very strong in his core, they are different defenders, i liken Litherland to Birchall Mk II, as Birchall uses his speed ect on defending smaller forwards, because he has trouble spoiling and defensive marking

i believe its between Birchall and Litherland and im sorry to say Birchall has him covered......

from the way they play Duryea takes that role played by Guerra, tough, strong core and can play well in the air for a small bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say Duryea offers too much rebound....

That was my knock on him at BHH. The times he does rebound he goes well. Doc has a sneaky long leg on him. Would like to see him use it more often but this team is so well drilled he would be under instruction on when to go and when to stay.

Any chance Gus could become that big bodied mid so many are calling out for. He turns 22 later this year, is 192cm and 90kg. so he has the right body. We do talk about him like he is getting on to 50 games, when in fact he's only played 12. I see a great future here, and I was over the moon when we extended his contract.

That was my knock on him at BHH. The times he does rebound he goes well. Doc has a sneaky long leg on him. Would like to see him use it more often but this team is so well drilled he would be under instruction on when to go and when to stay.

Would Ben interesting to see metres gained on our back men. Anyone know where we can get the stat?

Would Ben interesting to see metres gained on our back men. Anyone know where we can get the stat?

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/2014.html

Not metres gained - but there is not much difference between Gus and Duryea in rebound 50's and inside 50's. Both average around 2 a game - with Gus slightly ahead on rebound and Duryea slightly ahead on inside 50's.

Not the most perfect stat though as it ignores hit up kicks on the wing. Hence metres gained better I think.

Without joking, I would give us a chance of a win if we fielded a decent Box Hill team.

B: Heatherley Brand - Litherland

HB: Kelly - Cheney - Mira

C: Billy - Hallahan - Ross

HF: Tobin - Sicily - Murphy

F: Grimley - Ceglar - O'Brien

R: Lowden Sewell Woodward

Int: Illes - Wanganeen - Kennedy
Sub: Webster

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/2014.html

Not metres gained - but there is not much difference between Gus and Duryea in rebound 50's and inside 50's. Both average around 2 a game - with Gus slightly ahead on rebound and Duryea slightly ahead on inside 50's.

Not the most perfect stat though as it ignores hit up kicks on the wing. Hence metres gained better I think.
Litherland would do very well on meters gained as he tends to get the ball, run forward and kick long a lot. Duryea uses the ball short and long and laterally.

yea it is, but Litherland grabs at his opponent and i havnt seen a spoil from him all year, he has great attributes with his speed and ability to use the ball and he monsters small forwards in all areas, but Duryea is very strong in the air, not only a good spoiler, but a intercept marker and very strong in his core, they are different defenders, i liken Litherland to Birchall Mk II, as Birchall uses his speed ect on defending smaller forwards, because he has trouble spoiling and defensive marking

i believe its between Birchall and Litherland and im sorry to say Birchall has him covered......

from the way they play Duryea takes that role played by Guerra, tough, strong core and can play well in the air for a small bloke

C'mon man that's a croc...Litherland hasn't had a spoil all year?
Dureya is strong in the air when played on a player his height (small/medium forward ) which is the type Litherland should be playing on, Litherland has been left one out on Franklin Stringer etc of late, before that he was taking the smalls and in doing so taking them to the cleaners. He has speed agility and height over Dureya.
Litherland should not be fighting with Birchall in the side. He's fighting with Dureya. We have two rebound options that we want left unchecked and are our preferred options to have ball in hand Suckling Birchall, 2 KP players defenders third tall in Stratton, someone has to be playing a lock down job on the small/medium forward that's between Litherland or Dureya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back