Preview Hawthorn v Melbourne - MCG, 9 August 2014, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much all roos has done at the club was recruit some ready to go mids that could compete and then got them all to play around the footy. Genius! They average 60 points per game which is 6 points per game less than last year. They do average 40 points less against per game this year however that is largely a result of greater effort and the rubbish congested game style. The points for tells the real story - they are no better than last year.
yeah, it aint gunna be pretty....but we should be able to open them up

%%%% will be important, so lets not take it lightly...they have pushed a few decent teams this year, but do now look like they are out of puff

Ins: Mitchell - Smith - Sewell and Cegs
Outs: Woodward (omit) - Burgoyne (rest) - Hale (omit) - Gunners (Injured / rest)

B: Doc - Jesus - Stratts
HB: Beaver - Gibbo - Litherland
C: Hill - Mitch - Smith
HF: Schoenmakers - Roughy - Lewis
F: Poppy - Cegs - Breust
R: McEvoy - Shiels - Hodge
Int: Langford, Sewell, Suckers - Simpkin

The only issue I see on that lineup is forward pressure, but Melbourne are not lightning out of defense. Give Sewell a game back against the Dees instead of BH. Ceglar to come in for Hale, though Hale may get a second chance but he had better dominate as those 2 are swap for swap for mine at the moment. See who wants a finals spot more out of Doc and Liquourland at the moment. Same for Spangh and Schoenmakers. Alternate those 2 forward and back and see who shines. We have so much competition for best 25, let alone 22, at the moment that it all bodes VERY well. If we played this team, we would still have to fit Lake, Rioli, Burgoyne and Gunston into it this year. As well as Anderson and Whitecross, it is very scary.

He played both ends mate. Slow as a Mack truck wherever you put him, and his decision making isn't where it was early last year.

Kid needs a few weeks to monster people in the VFL and get some confidence in backing himself 1 on 1, and decision making.

When did he play back yesterday? As far as I could tell he was up forward the whole game until he was subbed off in the last quarter.

Schoey did rotate through defense, not often but 4-5 times for a few minutes, and seemed to be picking up the ruckman when he was down there.

Played a periphery role for most of the game, and seemed intent on getting his opponent away from Roughy to let him have one-on-ones.

It's a hard way to play the game, as you go against your natural instincts to hunt the ball, and play "dumb" football by leading to dead pockets, or into congestion, etc.

Schoey's much better when he's chasing the ball, than when he's thinking. Whether in defense or in the 3rd tall role, once he has to weigh up multiple options his slow reactions hurt. Against the Saints he played like a genuine tall, called for the ball and lead into space.

yes l think shoey played a sacrificial game as clarkson said after the game a couple of forwards were decoys. He played between the 50 arcs all day- rarely was even in the forward 50 and rarely was in the contests- when he was he did ok- halved most of them, didnt get outmarked either, does look slow though.

Melbourne have averaged a score of 80 points in their 4 wins this season.

Hawthorn have averaged a score of 87 points in their 4 losses this season.

Even when we lose we score more than them when they win.

Beautiful stat !!

The Dees were terrible yesterday and I just can't see them getting up.

We need to ensure everyone is fully fit the week after for our 8 week finals campaign (thanks AFL).

Rest anyone not 100%.

Geez, I hope we're all not being blase about Gunner ("give him the week off"). If he's really hurt his ankle, that is a critical blow to our structure. He's a damn clever player, kicks goals and kicks straight.

Geez, I hope we're all not being blase about Gunner ("give him the week off"). If he's really hurt his ankle, that is a critical blow to our structure. He's a damn clever player, kicks goals and kicks straight.
Also cops a fair bit of defensive attention, which helps out other forwards.

Here's hoping he is all good!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beautiful stat !!

The Dees were terrible yesterday and I just can't see them getting up.

We need to ensure everyone is fully fit the week after for our 8 week finals campaign (thanks AFL).

Rest anyone not 100%.
Melbourne we able to keep Brisbane at their level for the first 3 qtrs but eventually the lions willingness to score won out as they strung a few passages of play together. I can't imagine Melbourne doing that to us for more than a qtr.

Would love to see James Sicily make his debut this week replacing Gunston in the side. Obviously they are different type of players but there's a spot in our forward line and he could be one that may fill that void while Gunston is out. Thoughts?

Played a periphery role for most of the game, and seemed intent on getting his opponent away from Roughy to let him have one-on-ones.
It's a hard way to play the game, as you go against your natural instincts to hunt the ball, and play "dumb" football by leading to dead pockets, or into congestion, etc.
yes l think shoey played a sacrificial game as clarkson said after the game a couple of forwards were decoys. He played between the 50 arcs all day- rarely was even in the forward 50 and rarely was in the contests- when he was he did ok- halved most of them, didnt get outmarked either, does look slow though.
Now you 2 I'd like as my coach.

At least you understand football more than some other 'coaches' on here

When you ask me to sacrifice my game for the team, you'll know whether i have or not.
Whereas, these other coaches will drop me back to the 2's

Would love to see James Sicily make his debut this week replacing Gunston in the side. Obviously they are different type of players but there's a spot in our forward line and he could be one that may fill that void while Gunston is out. Thoughts?

Based on his recent form at Box Hill I can't see him getting a call up at the moment.

I have a feeling that Cegs or Luke might get a go. I know that is top heave, but it would be a good chance to compare our rucks on the same ground.

I have a feeling that Cegs or Luke might get a go. I know that is top heave, but it would be a good chance to compare our rucks on the same ground.

I hope Ceglar was just rested last week rather then being dropped for one bad game. I'm not sure if we will see three rucks playing on Saturday as we did that earlier in the year against Port Adelaide and it didn't work and it left us exposed going the way. I personally would rather see us bring in a smaller running type like Hartung who I think is due for a call-up.

I hope Ceglar was just rested last week rather then being dropped for one bad game. I'm not sure if we will see three rucks playing on Saturday as we did that earlier in the year against Port Adelaide and it didn't work and it left us exposed going the way. I personally would rather see us bring in a smaller running type like Hartung who I think is due for a call-up.

I would love to see Billy back also. Have a sneaking feeling he could be an X factor come September. I'm sure having Billy, Smith and Hill running onto the MCG in September will send shivers up opposition spines.

I would love to see Billy back also. Have a sneaking feeling he could be an X factor come September. I'm sure having Billy, Smith and Hill running onto the MCG in September will send shivers up opposition spines.

Exactly right. Look back earlier in the year when Hartung was playing and how much run and pace we had threw the midfield back then and how we would kill teams on the spread with quick ball movement and having Smith and Hill + Hartung meant that you can't shut down all three players. Yesterdays game highlighted just how important Isaac Smith is to our team.

Saw Rioli training with Jack today....coming along nicely.

Several Box Hill boys out there too......Sewell, Lowden, Tung, Sicily, TOB....no Cegs.....just seemed to be blowing out the cobwebs from the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back