Preview Hawthorn Vs Geelong - Monday 17 April @3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
CATS TO END HAWKS ERA

After starting the season undefeated Geelong enter round four brim full of confidence and up against modern day arch rival Hawthorn. After a tough tussle against Melbourne in which the Demons kicked themselves out of the contest and a narrow escape against Nth Melbourne a week earlier courtesy of a late goal by George Horlin-Smith, the Cats are running low on get out of jail free cards. With a reasonably clean bill of health and the possible return of Nakia Cockatoo and George Horlin-Smith after both missed last week with thumb injuries, the Cats will look to build on their start to the season by chalking up win number 4 and cementing their spot near the top of the table.

That task is made a whole lot easier with superstar duo Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood at the peak of their powers after yet another stellar display against Melbourne. With the support cast of Mitch Duncan and Cameron Guthrie auditioning to carry some of the load, Geelong have the firepower to trouble their nemesis and give in form duo Tom Hawkins and Daniel Menzel ample supply to kick a winning score.

The usually assured back half of the ground is where the Cats have been at their most vulnerable. Harry Taylor has been tried forward with limited success and both Andrew Mackie and Tom Lonergan aren't getting any younger. With the Tom Cats Ruggles and Stewart still learning the craft, the Cats haven't been at their measly best and must improve in this area if they're to contain the Hawks bevvy of forward weapons.

Can Geelong get off to a fast start and put the Hawks away early or will it be another case of playing catch-up to win?

Their opponent Hawthorn are coming off three successive defeats to start the year and will be hungry to atone and get their season back on track. With a host of stars either severely out of form or slowing down, a loss here and it's officially time to call the end of an era. The one thing we know with Hawthorn is that they're a proud group and won't go down easily without a fight. Simply how much fight left will be known on Easter Monday.

It's in the midfield where the Hawks have been soundly beaten to start the season and It was the youthful exuberance of the Gold Coast Suns who ran them off their feet and exposed their pace deficiency through the middle of the ground. How they'll improve in this area and win enough contested ball to trouble the Geelong superstar duo will give coach Al Clarkson headaches in the lead-up to the game. New recruits Jaegar O'Meara and Tom Mitchell have fitted in nicely but it's simply a case of too much left to too few as the Hawks desperately need to find some players to step up and help their overworked stars. Finding some outside speed to replace the recently departed Brad Hill will come as a nice gift to winger Isaac Smith who hasn't been the same since his wing partner left for the Fremantle Dockers, and gets more focus as a result.

The one shining light for the Hawks has been in defence with rising star nominee Ryan Burton the fresh legs desperately lacking in an ageing and shaky backline. With Grant Birchall out of the side with a jaw injury, the young gun has taken on the task as the new general in a team struggling to move the ball with any fluency and efficiency.

Has the old dog got any fight left?

WHAT TO EXPECT:

As always with these fierce combatants, a ruthless no holds barred contest likely to go to the death would be a fitting result. As good as Hawthorn have been over the course of the last decade, the Hawks are vulnerable and ripe for the picking. Expect the Cats to move the ball swiftly on the outside and try and expose the Hawks lack of pace. The key to the game lies with the Hawks defence limiting the effect of both Hawkins and Menzel and nullifying the impact that both Selwood and Dangerfield have on the contest. Whether that's through a hard tag or dropping an extra man back to help out the defence is something Al Clarkson will have to ponder. The one area the Cats seem to struggle with is containing quality small forwards and it could be a chance for both Luke Bruest and Cyril Rioli to return back to form. Both have struggled in the first three weeks of the season and both are too good to be down for too much longer. Ditto Jack Gunston.

Will Nakia Cockatoo recover in time and will Paul Puopolo's hamstring injury keep him out?

Expect James Sicily to return and expect him to play forward. Tough nut Kade Stewart is a likely inclusion to add more toughness to a brittle Hawthorn.

Tom Stewart may make way for Geelong as they look at a possible recall for emerging forward Nakia Cockatoo and he looks to have recovered from a fractured thumb suffered in round 1.

• Geelongs forwards to prove a handful. .
  • The respective midfield match-ups to decide the outcome of the match
  • Hawthorn to expose Geelong's small and inexperienced defenders.
  • Mackie to try and nullify Breust.
  • Tom Hawkins kicks his 400th career goal.

POSSIBLE TEAMS:

YSVXM7X.png

KEY MATCH-UPS

Zac Smith v Ben McEvoy - This is where it all starts. Smith was good in his first game of the year against Melbourne while McEvoy appears lost. Can McEvoy limit Smith at the centre bounce or will Smith give the Geelong mids first use of the ball? Hawthorn have struggled in the ruck and it's an area they seriously need to rectify If they're any chance to get their season back on track. Smith and Geelong have other ideas.

Selwood/Dangerfield/Duncan v O'Meara/Mitchell/Langford

The midfield battle. This is where the game is likely to be won and lost. Expect Langford to niggle Selwood all day and expect Dangerfield to dominate.

Can Mitchell and O'Meara both have enough influence to pose Geelong trouble? They have the talent, it's a matter of impacting the game and playing on their terms.

Tom Ruggles v Cyril Rioli

Rioli's due and Ruggles is still having nightmares from his last game against the Hawks. If Rioli gets off the chain he could well prove to be the match-winner. Ruggles has improved since last year and has Cyril in his sights.

VERDICT:

The Hawks are ripe for the picking and the Cats are licking their lips.

I can't see the Hawks containing the Cats midfield and slick ball movement which will see the Boys from Corio Bay salute and end what has been a magnificent era for the Hawks

Cats by 16 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Out - Murdoch, Stewart.
In - Cockatoo, Stanley.

*Taylor moves back
*Stanley CHF
*Smith/Blitz rucking

Menegola won't be dropped after that game, thought he was impressive.

GHS will be available so either:
-Parsons could be very very very unlucky and they bring GHS in for him (I don't want this btw).
OR
-If Tuohy's shoulder keeps him out for a week, move Guthrie down back, and GHS comes in and gets Guthrie's midfield time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who am I going to detest without Mitchell and Lewis around?
ding ding - correct; Luke Hodge.

Hawks will lift for this game, but we should have their measure this time around.

Zac Tuohy seemed to be struggling with a shoulder complaint against Melbourne, hopefully he'll get up.

The whole bloody lot of 'em. :mad: :)

I think the guys will appreciate the extended break after a tough couple of matches.

Not sure we'll see to many changes, especially with no vfl this weekend. If GHS is fit to return I can see him coming straight back in but I'm unsure who will make way - prior to yesterday's match I'd have said Parfitt but he earned his spot yesterday and unless he needs a rest I can't see him being dropped over the next few weeks. Parson's could be out in a case of last man in first man out but he would be unlucky as he put in a solid debut performance.

I know Murdoch wasn't great, but I see Cockatoo being his replacement more than GHS as I think we'd rather swap pace for pace than pace/outside player for an inside midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back