Head coach 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Burns or Brenton Sanderson? Goodwin seems to be getting rave reviews at Essendon. Would also like to see Bass and Kris Massie as assistants.

I think there's a fair bit more to Collingwood than Mick Malthouse... if we think he's going to come in and turn it around we really are dreaming.

Roos.

Then who knows, some newbie who will make mistakes cutting their teeth leading to another lean 5 or 6 years.

I think Craig should go. This has a Shaw Ayres feel about it amongst the fanbase. Very unhealthy. Whether he can turn it around or not hes had plenty of time and this bagage does us no good. Its time to have someone new so that when we lose no one will bang on about massie on frankin.

Its unlikely to be a quick fix. We are in a similar mould to Melbourne, Richmond and North. Banking on young talent, skinny in the 100 game area. They all have fairly new coaches. Their appointments were refreshing, had a bit of a buzz among supporters who were tired of the previous coach.

None look like playing finals any time soon.

agree about the baggage.

we have a moderate, bordering on mediocre, mid range coach living off very scant former glories
and we have become a moderate, bordering on mediocre, mid range team living off very scant former glories.

time to change things up before Craig becomes the worst coach we've had this side of Robert Shaw

agree about the baggage.

we have a moderate, bordering on mediocre, mid range coach living off very scant former glories
and we have become a moderate, bordering on mediocre, mid range team living off very scant former glories.

time to change things up before Craig becomes the worst coach we've had this side of Robert Shaw

Well its the time thing. Its a bloodly long time for no cup. He may have been unlucky. He may have been shit. Doesnt matter.

Alot (like myself) point to a lack of development and good drafting under ayres and how that has hurt us for many years. He was coach for what four years??

The longer craig stays, the longer he will be blamed for future failings. Threads in 2015 about how Paul Roos cant get the crows up because of something craig did way in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos.

Then who knows, some newbie who will make mistakes cutting their teeth leading to another lean 5 or 6 years.

I think Craig should go. This has a Shaw Ayres feel about it amongst the fanbase. Very unhealthy. Whether he can turn it around or not hes had plenty of time and this bagage does us no good. Its time to have someone new so that when we lose no one will bang on about massie on frankin.

quote]

Peter Jonas did this in 2007 and we haven't seen him since, I think he is still locked in the Crows basement. So too Tood Viney and he is gone too. We are stuck with Craigs yes men.

agree about the baggage.

It's amazing the faith some people have in Craig to deliver.

I'm not sure what it's founded on, though as long as he still has the job he has a chance to belatedly improve and perform up to his reputation.

But as it stands he has indeed been an average coach with so many well documented deficiences, poor choices, finals chokes etc yet he still retains a great reputation in the broader footy community for some reason?

What about the fact that Malthouse is going to be a free agent in about six months? Wouldnt/shouldnt that come into a CEO's forward thinking?

Among many things, this announcement has effectively ruled out that possibility. Which for mine, borders on negligence.

What about the fact that Malthouse is going to be a free agent in about six months? Wouldnt/shouldnt that come into a CEO's forward thinking?

Among many things, this announcement has effectively ruled out that possibility. Which for mine, borders on negligence.

But he's not. He will be contracted to the Collingwood Football Club in an alternative role to that of senior coach. Just because he is not contracted as senior coach, doesn't mean he is not under contract.

A contract is a contract and he will have to break it to coach us or anyone else for that matter. And i'm also sure, he has said his life in in Victoria now and will not be moving.

But he's not. He will be contracted to the Collingwood Football Club in an alternative role to that of senior coach. Just because he is not contracted as senior coach, doesn't mean he is not under contract.

A contract is a contract and he will have to break it to coach us or anyone else for that matter. And i'm also sure, he has said his life in in Victoria now and will not be moving.

Fair enough.

I still reckon Mick will want to coach somewhere next year though.

The chance of Malthouse or Roos coming to Adelaide is zero. Goodwin looks like being the perfect fit, in 2 years, not now.... Our list will be top 6 material in 2013 and getting better as will Goodwins coaching ability.... To me it looks the obvious choice with Nathan Bassett assisting and Craigy as a Head of football operations....

The chance of Malthouse or Roos coming to Adelaide is zero. Goodwin looks like being the perfect fit, in 2 years, not now.... Our list will be top 6 material in 2013 and getting better as will Goodwins coaching ability.... To me it looks the obvious choice with Nathan Bassett assisting and Craigy as a Head of football operations....

Playing the devil’s advocate card for a moment.

If we look like being a top 6 sides in 2013, meaning we have shown enough improvement in 2011 and then more improvement in 2012 to suggest this is a possibility, why would they fire or move Neil Craig sideward? It doesn’t make sense.

Saying that, if we don’t show any improvement over the next 18 rounds, I’d suggest Neil Craig would have lose the players and him going on in 2012 is very slim. If he hasn’t lost the player, there is no reason why he cannot get more improvement out of the squad next year and beyond. If he has, he won’t be coach in 12 months’ time.

Playing the devil’s advocate card for a moment.

If we look like being a top 6 sides in 2013, meaning we have shown enough improvement in 2011 and then more improvement in 2012 to suggest this is a possibility, why would they fire or move Neil Craig sideward? It doesn’t make sense.

Saying that, if we don’t show any improvement over the next 18 rounds, I’d suggest Neil Craig would have lose the players and him going on in 2012 is very slim. If he hasn’t lost the player, there is no reason why he cannot get more improvement out of the squad next year and beyond. If he has, he won’t be coach in 12 months’ time.

If he loses the players then he has to go, no doubt. But as much of a Neil Craig fan as I am, I would hope he will step down after 2012 and hand it over to Goody who will be prime to lead us through our next premiership window and beyond. I am sure Craig will aswell, he is that type of man... And the reason why is Goodwin will hopefully be that high in demand the club will either make the move or risk losing him. It would be the perfect fit and Im sure Craig would put the club before himself.

It's amazing the faith some people have in Craig to deliver.

I'm not sure what it's founded on, though as long as he still has the job he has a chance to belatedly improve and perform up to his reputation.

But as it stands he has indeed been an average coach with so many well documented deficiences, poor choices, finals chokes etc yet he still retains a great reputation in the broader footy community for some reason?[/quote]

one reason could be his win/loss record which despite last year is still the third best in the comp (behind Chris Scott (4:0) and Ross Lyon)

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?sort=p&status=A&type=

If he loses the players then he has to go, no doubt. But as much of a Neil Craig fan as I am, I would hope he will step down after 2012 and hand it over to Goody who will be prime to lead us through our next premiership window and beyond. I am sure Craig will aswell, he is that type of man...

Not if he honestly believes he has unfinished business as a senior AFL coach he won't be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Head coach 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back