Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally anyone, a clear existing record of failure vs an unknown potential for failure isn't the nightmare predicament people make it out to be.
Not saying it's a nightmare predicament, just merely asking the question.

The problem is as a club we tend to turnover the head coach without the rest.

That rarely works

Keep Nicks - 90% chance of continuing to be shit.

Sack Nicks - 50% chance of replacement being shit.

I know which odds I'd take.
Sack Nicks but the same people in charge choose the next coach = we'll still be shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but most of them have been there for a long time. Id be stunned if they were all removed.

Roo technically gone until they stupidly put him into a paid role. But I reckon that evaporates if Nix proves to fail enough to warrant sacking. Kellly I reckon will be gone with Silvers likely surviving for a year or two and being given the influence that Roo previously held.

I won't count West Coast because its permanent coaching position is vacant, but of the 17 active coaches, 7 are premiership coaches. 9 have at least made grand finals. Yze and Nicks are the only two who have never made finals. Yze has had 1 attempt with a rapidly declining list and Nicks has had 5.
And Didn’t the tigers beat us at AO this year

Surely van berlo can't linger too much longer...

They all need to go, but Burns moreso than anyone IMO

Never have I heard a more uninspiring man in a coaching panel.
Just come out that the clubs have got their way and the soft cap is finally being increased for next season, so it’s great to see Burns and van Berlo are finally going to get those raises they fully deserve 🤪

This is why Nicks job is untenable and the AFC should have moved him on this year. Nicks has completed 4 incredibly shit years as coach of the club out of 5 and is best year he couldnt even get us over the line for finals in a top 8 system that the 8th team is the best mediocre team in the comp.

Forget all the rebuild shit. How is the AFC going to pass off not making finals next year. Or we fluke it next year but miss out the next year. Or maybe we make finals both years, who knows. But we are not even close to a top 4 side. Thats 7 years invested into a coach. We arent premiership material with holes in our midfield, soon to be gaping hole in our forward line with Tex and no Ruckman aside from ROB. The other issue that is sneaking up on us is Dawson will be 30 at the end of Nicks next contract. 30.

I predict the call to extend his contract will go down as the worst call in AFC history.

This is why Nicks job is untenable and the AFC should have moved him on this year. Nicks has completed 4 incredibly shit years as coach of the club out of 5 and is best year he couldnt even get us over the line for finals in a top 8 system that the 8th team is the best mediocre team in the comp.

Forget all the rebuild shit. How is the AFC going to pass off not making finals next year. Or we fluke it next year but miss out the next year. Or maybe we make finals both years, who knows. But we are not even close to a top 4 side. Thats 7 years invested into a coach. We arent premiership material with holes in our midfield, soon to be gaping hole in our forward line with Tex and no Ruckman aside from ROB. The other issue that is sneaking up on us is Dawson will be 30 at the end of Nicks next contract. 30.

I predict the call to extend his contract will go down as the worst call in AFC history.

Like what I said in 1997 when Blight started Shane Ellen at full forward.
The difference Blight was a genius, Nicks is anything but.

Like what I said in 1997 when Blight started Shane Ellen at full forward.
The difference Blight was a genius, Nicks is anything but.
Blight didnt care how he won he just wanted to win

Nicks is more interested in processes, systems, grunt, shape, very complex gameplan that nobody understands and is very reliant on out-fitnessing the opponent

whilst being more competitive away from home is encouraging this year we had to come from behind a lot more to win as well and that isn't sustainable

Blight didnt care how he won he just wanted to win

Nicks is more interested in processes, systems, grunt, shape, very complex gameplan that nobody understands and is very reliant on out-fitnessing the opponent

whilst being more competitive away from home is encouraging this year we had to come from behind a lot more to win as well and that isn't sustainable
With Nicks, its all well and good to be those things, indeed a lot of newer coaches are similar, but theres very little feel for the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back