Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Just a bit of fun. Who had the better career? Or if you were a junior, just joining the ranks of an AFL club, and could choose to have the exact same career as one of them, whose would you choose?
Both have 4 flags.
Both captained flags, but Hodge got 3 and Mitch 1.
Both have 300 games, but Hodgey was a one-club player.
Hodge got TWO Normies, Sammy got zip. But Sammy got a Charlie, albeit in odd circumstances.
Sammy got significantly more PCMs.
Both have 3 AAs.
I honestly can't decide.
What about you, and why?

Last edited:

Can't do it either. As soon as I settle on one of them, I'm reminded of something amazing the other has done.

EDIT : And I'll vote for Hodgey in the poll just to even up the numbers.

I voted Hodge in the end, purely because of the 'one-club' nature of his career. And even then it was less by choice on Sammy's part that his career was 2 clubs.

Your thread asked if I were a junior and could chose either career, whose career would I choose. Being a one club person, the choice was simple. I wouldn't have wanted to play for West Coast or anyone else, and to lift that cup three times when most don't get to do it at all, a dream come true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a bit of fun. Who had the better career? Or if you were a junior, just joining the ranks of an AFL club, and could choose to have the exact same career as one of them, whose would you choose?
Both have 4 flags.
Both captained flags, but Hodge got 3 and Mitch 1.
Both have 300 games, but Hodgey got them all at one club.
Hodge got TWO Normies, Sammy got zip. But Sammy got a Charlie, albeit in odd circumstances.
Sammy got significantly more PCMs.
Both have 3 AAs.
I honestly can't decide.
What about you, and why?
Mitch got 300 at the Hawks

I honestly can't choose.

tumblr_ne0wilp7HO1rwg7ino1_1280.png

Choosing from between your favourite kids?? Mmmmm which one is going to make more money, as I'll choose that one, as they will be able to afford the better nursing home when I'm older!
If I'm really pushed will go Sammy for his unbelievable work ethic and determination to succeed with limited skills.
Why Hodgey had the skills to Succeed but sacrifed personal achievement for team success. Both are great legends of the club, but just admire sam's work ethic and determination, which just edges him past Hodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge and Sammy

Back