Certified Legendary Thread Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to upgrade this to Certified Legendary.

The man is a CHEAT CODE.

2024 and just casually add Dempsey and Humphries from more late picks and they look at home.

Dempsey and humphries are great and wells definitely made the right call with mannagh (glad the coaches finally saw the light just before it was too late).

Time to upgrade this to Certified Legendary.

The man is a CHEAT CODE.

2024 and just casually add Dempsey and Humphries from more late picks and they look at home.
The best thing I think to emanate from your soul

Done.

Go Catters

Humphries picked at 63 is extraordinary.

Our long term scout, Liam Woodland was poached by Freo earlier this year after 10 years at the club. I wonder if he helped uncover Lawson
Losing Woodland will hurt.

I get you train them to replace you - but that one who's been around the knows the game.

Good get for Freo.

GO Catters

The 2 kids they took late both look promising. Not just Humphries but Wiltshire also looked very useful too prior to injury.

And stevens looks pretty good.

And mannagh although he is an obvious pick will super for the next 3-4 years.

I also sometimes think that our development program is massively underrated. I mean it seems that the GFC can almost make anyone (with certain physical and mental attributes) into a very good footballer. Contrast our successes with other clubs with access to higher end talent.

I also feel that Chris Scott isn’t given enough credit for the development program that he leads.

Having said that, in Wells we trust ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The 2 kids they took late both look promising. Not just Humphries but Wiltshire also looked very useful too prior to injury.
Wiltshire is my watch for 2025. My mates who played against him a lot are still adamant he won't make it and will be back at BHFC in a year or two.

Keen to see if they're wrong.

I also sometimes think that our development program is massively underrated. I mean it seems that the GFC can almost make anyone (with certain physical and mental attributes) into a very good footballer. Contrast our successes with other clubs with access to higher end talent.

I also feel that Chris Scott isn’t given enough credit for the development program that he leads.

It’s been long debated if it’s the development program or the drafting team that is behind the succcess …much like the chicken and the egg question

It’s been absolutely amazing to witness what the club has achieved over the last 20 years , I am a old man now and I feel blessed to have spent my 20’s and 30’s watching the club be so successful when growing up we were an absolute joke.

Long may it continue and hopefully for my future grandkids when they come along in the future so I can brainwash them into following this great club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seconded! We develop players to their styles as well but in a team structure. Love it!

Humphries picked at 63 is extraordinary.

Our long term scout, Liam Woodland was poached by Freo earlier this year after 10 years at the club. I wonder if he helped uncover Lawson
To be fair, Liam discovered both Lawson and Dempsey (who met wells for the first time at day 1 training!).

Miers has also said that when he was injured in 2021 he did some recruiting work for Liam (Gyan wants to do it post footy) and got the assignment to review a Carey game with Dempsey playing).

No doubt Wells has set the right and so hopefully someone else steps in to do the scouting roles (I tbink the old VFL coach is now doing recruitment?)

To be fair, Liam discovered both Lawson and Dempsey (who met wells for the first time at day 1 training!).

Miers has also said that when he was injured in 2021 he did some recruiting work for Liam (Gyan wants to do it post footy) and got the assignment to review a Carey game with Dempsey playing).

No doubt Wells has set the right and so hopefully someone else steps in to do the scouting roles (I tbink the old VFL coach is now doing recruitment?)
I would so love to read a big fat facts book on Stephen Wells’ career once he retires. I’m sure it will never happen but it would be phenomenal reading for most footy people interested in recruiting.

Noticeable absentee recently in this (and trades) thread, hope all is ok and he’s just sunning himself on a deserted island somewhere.

Last edited:
I would so love to read a big fat facts book on Stephen Wells’ career once he retires. I’m sure it will never happen but it would be phenomenal reading for most footy people interested in recruiting.

Noticeable absentee recently in this (and trades) thread, hope all is ok and he’s just sunning himself on a deserted island somewhere.

He didn't give much away in his interview with Ling

If Wellsy chooses to write a book (long after he retires; don't want the secrets out too soon), it would be legendary. An AFL version of the legendary Michael Ovitz at identifying talent.

Countering the huge data-mining trend, he seems to "intuit" the innate Drive/Talent/Upside from sparse data.

There should be a chapter on Corey Enright in that book.

P.S: Why I love the "Trouble with the Curve" movie..

Last edited:

Certified Legendary Thread Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

Back