How Can geelong be beaten

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2008
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos
Anyones opinions on how they can be beaten.
Now there will be some crack pot collingwood supporters saying they can do it again with hard tackling.
but the cats seem to have adjusted there game now and can get away with the hard tackles and still playing there game style.
i myself barrack for the mighty tigers, whom probably have a -99% chance of beating them within the next 2 years

Collingwood could do well against Geelong at full strength because it's forward line really pulls apart Geelong's backline. It's high kick ratio also reduces the chance of midfield turnovers through the middle and back.

Rocca, Cloke, Didak, Medhurst, Thomas, Davis - and whatever mix gets thrown through there forces some nice mismatches for the Pies. Given Geelong aren't actually a clearance winning beast the midfield turnovers that the Cats backline feast on usually can get diluted by the Pies forward line. A few nice match-ups on the other end such as O'Brien on Johnson are also pivotal. That's the best I can come up with for now.

pressure all the teams that have kept up with them for a half or 3 quaters, have put them under intense pressure opposition skills would have to be really clean aswell. but noone keeps up with them for a whole game and get punished big time their too good

If they have a weakness then it's probably their forward line.

Their forward line is a strength. They don't rely on bags of goals from one or two players. They had 11 goalscorers on Sunday and regularly share the goals around in large numbers. They are the highest scoring team in the competition. Sorry, try again.

They are the best team because they all know the game plan back to front while they are hard and disciplined. They are solidly built and run in numbers. They have set plays whether they get first touch in the middle or not. They are a well organised team. It takes 4-5 years for a group of players to get the game plan running at it's peak. The Hawks are probably 2 years away from being a dominant team who can win 20+ games out of 22. A champion team beats a team of champions. In 2-3 years, i believe we will be playing a similar brand of footy. That's if we keep Wallace :cool:

Their forward line is a strength. They don't rely on bags of goals from one or two players. They had 11 goalscorers on Sunday and regularly share the goals around in large numbers. They are the highest scoring team in the competition. Sorry, try again.
From what I've seen alot of theirs occur due to opposition turnovers, which will generally cause a large variety of goalkickers. Collingwood's high kick ratio can potentially negate this, and if Collingwood can stem the tide from the midfield; Geelong's lack of a key dominant forward can really hurt the Cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their forwards feast on quick ball movement and plentiful supply so should be able to kick goals. You need to shut down Geelong's run to beat them. That means pressure from your forwards and midfielders all game.

Easy.

Whoever plays them in the Prelim, has to roll over. That on top of the fact that the had a bye, and that they did not get much of a fight from St.Kilda, will mean that they go into the Grand Final with out match practice. In fact it will be four weeks since their last serious hit out. They will probably not have the fitness to run out four quarters.

Now the hard part. Convincing the Bulldogs or Swans to play dead in the Prelim.

Easy.

Whoever plays them in the Prelim, has to roll over. That on top of the fact that the had a bye, and that they did not get much of a fight from St.Kilda, will mean that they go into the Grand Final with out match practice. In fact it will be four weeks since their last serious hit out. They will probably not have the fitness to run out four quarters.

Now the hard part. Convincing the Bulldogs or Swans to play dead in the Prelim.
You mistake and easy win for an easy game. We had 20 players from half-time onwards, and 21 from pretty much the get-go. The players were worked hard, as shown by the last quarter, where we were just about out on our feet, playing for the siren.

play a 6man forward line so that geelong cant offord to add an extra man in defence without the risk of not scoring enough.
get in to gary ablett, he can get distracted and start goin for the players instead of the ball and then just plays sub standard.
you have to win the clearances.
but most importantly BUDDY FRANKLIN

The teams that have done well on us traditionally are those that have a predominantly small forward line. Collingwood match up well because we have trouble matching up on all of Didak, Medhurst, Davis and Thomas. They really are the only team that sets their forward line up with the 4 smalls. They provide great forward pressure and are all quick.

To me they potentially pose more of a problem than Hawthorn. Hawthorn have a more traditional structure which we are adept at overcoming. Our backline are expert in helping each other out when they have to counter a power forward such as Brown, Riewoldt or even Franklin. Scarlett, Harley, Milburn and Mackie all know each others games so well and read the play so well.

Anything can happen on any given day (injuries etc), but it is hard not to be confident as a cats fan that we won't go back to back.

play a 6man forward line so that geelong cant offord to add an extra man in defence without the risk of not scoring enough.
get in to gary ablett, he can get distracted and start goin for the players instead of the ball and then just plays sub standard.
you have to win the clearances.
but most importantly BUDDY FRANKLIN

Pin your hopes on one man.

You are in for disappointment.

i wasnt pinning my hopes on one man at all. cant you read.
i was just saying that you need somebody who can break the game wide open. the ball still needs to get to him, without winning clearances wich i clearly stated is another main importance. and clearly franklin isnt doing that,
stupid comment from a stupid person.

Anyones opinions on how they can be beaten.
Now there will be some crack pot collingwood supporters saying they can do it again with hard tackling.
but the cats seem to have adjusted there game now and can get away with the hard tackles and still playing there game style.
i myself barrack for the mighty tigers, whom probably have a -99% chance of beating them within the next 2 years

If they all start now :confused::confused:

The only reason why Collingwood and Hawthorn shut down our forward line is because they push and shove them around and unfairly hold them!
The Umpires don't give a damn, but, Collingwood and Hawthorn Supporters, don't count chickens before they hatch, because things like this can come back and bite hard.
Stop living in the past, this is what causes you to fall behind!

(P.S.- How can our forward line be our weakness you bunch of twits!:thumbsdown:)

The only reason why Collingwood and Hawthorn shut down our forward line is because they push and shove them around and unfairly hold them!
The Umpires don't give a damn, but, Collingwood and Hawthorn Supporters, don't count chickens before they hatch, because things like this can come back and bite hard.
Stop living in the past, this is what causes you to fall behind!

(P.S.- How can our forward line be our weakness you bunch of twits!:thumbsdown:)

People call your forward line your weakness because its compared to your other areas. Its hardly a weakness when compared to some other teams forward lines but when compared to the strength of your midfield and backline your forward line is in last place.
It just highlights the strength of the team, not a bad weakness when you look at it, could be worse - it could be dependency like some other top teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

How Can geelong be beaten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back