How Can geelong be beaten

Remove this Banner Ad

lots of pressure on the ball carrier is a must, also need to get numbers down the middle where they tend to want to move the ball to most times when going forward.Best team to do this? sadly i must say Collingwood, there man on man hard tackle game is the only way Geelong will be beaten not only this year but also next season.

You bring in a final year player (hack or not, doesn't matter). All he does basically for the first quarter is run around taking blokes heads off. Put em down with a 0 man bench. Done.

play a 6man forward line so that geelong cant offord to add an extra man in defence without the risk of not scoring enough.
get in to gary ablett, he can get distracted and start goin for the players instead of the ball and then just plays sub standard.
you have to win the clearances.
but most importantly BUDDY FRANKLIN

Geelong don't add an extra man in defence. Geelong's midfield run back to create extra numbers in defence. Then when the opposition turn the ball over, they run the ball with numbers.

Get the ball in quickly and you negate their numbers. That's the only way to beat Geelong. Beat them at their own game ie. midfield pressure plus run and carry.

Play loose men in corridor and force them wide. If you slow there supply and run they are ordinary. People say collingwood did it with hard tackling which is quite true but the effect of the tackling was to slow the supply same as clogging the centre.

Play loose men in corridor and force them wide. If you slow there supply and run they are ordinary. People say collingwood did it with hard tackling which is quite true but the effect of the tackling was to slow the supply same as clogging the centre.

nah it is still man on man, no zoning off and intense pressure on their ball holders, and try and keep the contest out of the corridors, which is where they kill you with their run thru and delivery. Push 'em wide when they do have it.

The more i think about it, the more i believe that ,Geelong are only playing in second gear,and once they make the grand final they'll switch to THIRD gear,and it's all over .Back to back for the cats.

Their forward line is a strength. They don't rely on bags of goals from one or two players. They had 11 goalscorers on Sunday and regularly share the goals around in large numbers. They are the highest scoring team in the competition. Sorry, try again.

That's mainly due to the dominant midfield. If the midfield can even be matched the forward line will start to look mediocre. Steve Johnson and Paul Chapman are stars, no doubt about it. But Cameron Mooney has had an average year and Tom Lonergan is a good player but no where near a star forward, same goes for Matthew Stokes. All in all, if you could stack up all the tall forward pairs in the AFL Mooney and Lonergan wouldn't exactly be at the top of the list.

Don't take that the wrong way, Geelong have a good forward line, but there are better including Hawthorns. If we were to match the midfield (which i believe we can on our day) then it will be much less effective.

everyone keeps quoting all these various tactics that they believe will be the key to defeating geelong. but really, if it was all just down to some tactical maneuver, don't you think opposition teams would have caught on to that by now? I'm sure everything that is being suggested here has been tried and has, on the whole, failed.

part of geelongs strength, like the dominant essendon team of 2000, is that they are versatile and adaptable. they know how to react to any tactical gameplan that is tried on them. the players and coach are smart and can counter pretty much any swifty that their opponents can pull on them.

is geelongs fantasic record over the past two seasons as a result of some tactic? the answer is no. since that is the case, then I believe that you will not find the key to their defeat by travelling down that road. like many things in life, the real solution is much more simple, much less glamourous and requires much more hard work. basically, you have to be able to match their skill level.

about 3 or 4 years ago geelong dropped out of the finals early on. a lot of people criticesed the coach for their "underperformance", but really it was due to the fact that he had an axtremely green team. I was particularly impressed with the clean hands of their players, especially their ability to take one grab, overhead marks under pressure in defense. at the time, no one was even attempting that. the defensive spoil was the default option.

look at geelong now. they never fumble, be it overhead, on the chest, or gathering the ball at ground level. it is in this area that I rate them as being far superior to any other team, and I'm sure that there must have been a coaching emphasis put on hand/ball co-ordination from the early days. everything else is built on that.

that is just one area that I have chosen to highlight, but the point remains clear. it doesn't matter where you put your players on the ground or what you tell them to do. if they can't execute the basic skills as well as geelong they are very unlikely to prevail...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BH&B you ar espot on i look at footy just like you, the rest follow the media.
lets imagine nonoe of us have tv / internet or radio and we just watch the match we start to learn that regardless of tactics this team is better at ... .... ... .... etc.
We have all heard the tactic retoric at 3rd grade football level they are getting slow , nobody on the bench, will run out of legs etc.... to an extent true, but never do you hear our skills aren't matching theirs.
this is the area where all teams are ultimatley judged at .
i allways say to the umpire excuse supporters - "good teams always win, regardless of who umpires" that is because they are better at playing and don't relyon gifts to win. it is very rare when grat teams loose due to 1 decision.
there are teams who shouldn't have won, but 95% of the time it is the best tem awho wins through ..... class & ability.
so how do you beat the best team (geelong) injuries, lull in form or YOU ARE MORE SKILED! just my 20c worth .

BH&B you ar espot on i look at footy just like you, the rest follow the media.
lets imagine nonoe of us have tv / internet or radio and we just watch the match we start to learn that regardless of tactics this team is better at ... .... ... .... etc.
We have all heard the tactic retoric at 3rd grade football level they are getting slow , nobody on the bench, will run out of legs etc.... to an extent true, but never do you hear our skills aren't matching theirs.
this is the area where all teams are ultimatley judged at .
i allways say to the umpire excuse supporters - "good teams always win, regardless of who umpires" that is because they are better at playing and don't relyon gifts to win. it is very rare when grat teams loose due to 1 decision.
there are teams who shouldn't have won, but 95% of the time it is the best tem awho wins through ..... class & ability.
so how do you beat the best team (geelong) injuries, lull in form or YOU ARE MORE SKILED! just my 20c worth .

my goodness! two supporters from different clubs just saw eye to eye on an issue relating to one of the clubs!

it can happen!! :D

Any team can be beaten in elite sport and history is littered with examples of "Unbeatable" teams losing the playoff. The New England Patriots are a prime example, just last season. Geelong are a top class outfit but the main reason for their recent sucess is the confidence they have gained from playing together as a unit and the expectation of winning that comes with that. Forget the hype, Geelong's playing list is not some grouping of supermen. How for example how have players like Millburn and Harley suddenly become all Australian players after years of being only average? Reckon blokes like Mooney,Hunt,Wojinski,Ottens ( yes him too ),Egan and Mackie are any better than blokes at other clubs drafted aound the same stage? Of course not. If an opponent is able to sustain pressure throughout a complete match and keep the clanger count well down they are a chance of being more then competitive.If their gun players also fire the Cats are as beatable as any of the dozens of "unbeatable teams" in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

How Can geelong be beaten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back