How did Melbourne get so bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How in gods name did Melbourne become so insipid the past few years? I can understand the competition works in rotations with the way you are rewarded draft picks for generally being a poor side but how did they manage to get so incredibly bad?

Carlton has a valid reason... They cheated and the AFL tore them a new one setting them back years.

What is Melbournes reasoning? It's not like you had any shock retirements/trades of superstars leaving the club either. I dare say Melbournes list (minus the talented youngsters they've recently drafted) has got to be THE worst I've ever seen in my time of watching the AFL.

What's gone wrong with this once proud club?

Was it Wowoedins brownlow win that set the tone that mediocrity will be rewarded?

Something is seriously wrong in Casey. Melbourne supporters please enlighten me as to how you got in such a horrendous predicament.

Well let's see... how did the Demons get to where we're currently at...

Firstly, we went from $5 million in debt to less than $1 million, within 18 months. Carlton, St Kilda (I think), the Bulldogs, Port Adelaide & North Melbourne all have more debt (substantially more in 4 of those cases) than us.

Secondly, we set consecutive membership records in the last 2 seasons, and are currently 3,500 ahead of where we were even last year, meaning we have a damn good chance to break 35,000 in 2010.

Thirdly, we got that new deal with the MCG, meaning that, from what I can see, we're guaranteed $1 million profit on the gate each year now. And the Darwin deal, guaranteeing us a similarly large additional cash flow.

Fourthly, we secured new sponsorship deals which now put us in the upper tier of AFL clubs when it comes to sponsorship revenue.

And finally, and very importantly, we built a group of young players in our squad of such quality that even many opposition supporters around here acknowledge that we have the best list of young talent of any AFL club right now.

Sure you don't want to go back and CHANGE the topic of this thread Daz?

LOL at the OP being a Bulldogs fan by the way, they don't even come close to us off the field... check out the financial schemozzle they've been in for such an extended period now.

2010 is arguably their last hope for real on-field success. The sunset side of the mountain beckons for the Bulldogs- again!

15220-17129.gif

Our lawyer ****ed us

When will people learn that teasing Melbourne is like giving shit to the kids on the special school bus, it's easy to do but you just don't do it.

I think the thread is more about wins and losses, not how much money they have in the bank, cause really, do supporters give a flying? Supporters want premierships, a team that wins, and if it doesnt win, then at least give hope that before the bounce they might win. Melb is just down right shithouse on the field simple as that.

Went downhill after they stupidly voted out that Jewish guy (sorry, can't remember his name) who was getting the club back on the right path. Was his Gutnick or something?

LOL about that comment on Naita re reading and marking of the ball... that wasn't a very good predictive call in the end...
24.gif

PS- This is one of those ironic threads yes? (Particularly given that, as already said, even many opposition fans acknowledge that we've built a group of young developing talent which, after this draft, will undoubtedly be better in all respects than can be said for the young list of any other club.)

And "losing" Nathan Carroll certainly was a good step towards creating the squad we currently have, and the significantly stronger squad we'll have after this draft :)

Maybe WCE might like to resurrect his career perhaps...? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well let's see... how did the Demons get to where we're currently at...

Firstly, we went from $5 million in debt to less than $1 million, within 18 months. Carlton, St Kilda (I think), the Bulldogs, Port Adelaide & North Melbourne all have more debt (substantially more in 4 of those cases) than us.

Secondly, we set consecutive membership records in the last 2 seasons, and are currently 3,500 ahead of where we were even last year, meaning we have a damn good chance to break 35,000 in 2010.

Thirdly, we got that new deal with the MCG, meaning that, from what I can see, we're guaranteed $1 million profit on the gate each year now. And the Darwin deal, guaranteeing us a similarly large additional cash flow.

Fourthly, we secured new sponsorship deals which now put us in the upper tier of AFL clubs when it comes to sponsorship revenue.

And finally, and very importantly, we built a group of young players in our squad of such quality that even many opposition supporters around here acknowledge that we have the best list of young talent of any AFL club right now.

Sure you don't want to go back and CHANGE the topic of this thread Daz?

LOL at the OP being a Bulldogs fan by the way, they don't even come close to us off the field... check out the financial schemozzle they've been in for such an extended period now...

^^^Relevance?

Did you want me to change the topic to make your reply logical? I don't think you understood my original post. This is ON FIELD issues.

A planned and deliberate process of instilling a losing culture.To enable Melbourne first access to hopefully great young talent.
After this years draft the problem will be to try and teach a winning mentality to the playing group.That and hang on to the drafted young talent,who after a couple of seasons of crapness will want to get away from the club.

PS- This is one of those ironic threads yes? (Particularly given that, as already said, even many opposition fans acknowledge that we've built a group of young developing talent which, after this draft, will undoubtedly be better in all respects than can be said for the young list of any other club.)
I'm sorry, which part of a minority of users rating you as having among some of the best young talent(but not as good as west Coast's), means that your young talent is undoubtedly better in all respects than any other club?

I mean you guys don't even have a decent ruck prospect, hell you had Meeson
rucking for parts this year. I guess they are pretty hard to come by. Oh wait...

I mean you guys don't even have a decent ruck prospect

You mean you weren't watching when even PJ matched Cox more than well enough at Subi, or when the Russky completely dominated the Eagles in the ruck last time out...?

Part of a virtually unblemished record for the Russky in ruck matchups this year whenever he was available, incidentally...

You mean you weren't watching when even PJ matched Cox more than well enough at Subi, or when the Russky completely dominated the Eagles in the ruck last time out...?

Part of a virtually unblemished record for the Russky in ruck matchups this year whenever he was available, incidentally...

Naming specific incidents is pointless. I could name instances were Matt Priddis dominated games this year but that doesn't make him a good prospect.

Your rucks are average.

Im glad I spotted your post Wonaemirri33, utter shit like this cannot go unchallenged in Bay 13 :thumbsdown:

Melbourne are a charity case, nothing more. Of this $4 million how much was generated through the regular AFL club revenue streams such as sponsorhip, memberships and ticket sales? In order to survive long-term Stynes is going to need a business plan other than begging to the members.

Carlton have a debt, but we also have the best training facilities in the country. What do Melbourne have to show for their debt...?

35,000? You are a minnow club. Of those members are actually ticket holders? With one of the worst attendance records out of all clubs i'd say not too many. Can't survive too long on $60 memberships Wonna :eek:

All the Melbourne clubs got a new deal. Carlton, Esssendon and Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong all have FAR better stadium deals than Melbourne.

No-one goes to your games or watches you on Foxtel. Either you are lying or there are some shithouse companies out there willing to just throw their money away. What happened to the Red Cross anyway, I thought they were your "sponsor"?

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/players/tabid/7849/category/senior/season/2009/default.aspx

Naming specific incidents is pointless. I could name instances were Matt Priddis dominated games this year

True in the first point (although it is a fact that Johnson performed well against WCE at Subi, and against the Bulldogs at the 'G, and matched Sandilands in Round 20)

Jamar came out ahead, often well ahead, in his ruck matchups this year. He was 13th in our B&F after only playing 7 games.

I don't need to play up specific matches where he's concerned.

utter shit like this cannot go unchallenged in Bay 13 :thumbsdown:

On this point I agree, which is why the following "utter shit" shall indeed be challenged:

35,000? You are a minnow club.

Compared with who exactly? The 5 clubs who currently have lower membership numbers than us, or the larger number who will have lower membership than us in 2010 perhaps?

Of those members are actually ticket holders?

Since membership invariably guarantees entry to home games, the answer would be all of them, yes?

Currently our 2010 membership numbers are as follows:

2010-tally.jpg

As I said, over 3,500 above where we were at the same point last year.

No-one goes to your games or watches you

Really? Then where did our 2009 crowd figures come from exactly, you goose?

Leaving aside the convenient or pretended ignorance about the fact that the vast majority of our games were on Sundays (including twilight games), and many against interstate opposition, of course.

Either you are lying

Ah, so I'm LYING am I?

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/73473/default.aspx

MELBOURNE has landed a second major sponsor with Russian IT company Kaspersky Lab signing a three-year deal to back the club.

It comes just a week after the club landed tyre company Hankook. The two companies will be joint major sponsors with the Kaspersky logo on the back of the Melbourne jumper and Hankook on front.

The two companies will pump a combined $5 million into the club’s coffers over the next three years.

True in the first point (although it is a fact that Johnson performed well against WCE at Subi, and against the Bulldogs at the 'G, and matched Sandilands in Round 20) - but I'd love to hear about examples of Priddis dominating games this year mate ;)

Jamar came out ahead, often well ahead, in his ruck matchups this year. He was 13th in our B&F after only playing 7 games.

I don't need to play up specific matches where he's concerned.

2 brownlow votes against the Hawks and 3 votes against North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Melbourne get so bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back