How do West Coast always bounce back so quickly as a club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

top 4? lulz

eta, i agree with the person above. 3 years with good recruiting is all it takes to be back up and running.

and they dropped really quickly after judd and cousins left. if they had stayed they would probably be bottoming out now/last year.
Facepalm
We would be third at the moment if we had knocked off swans at home like we should have...

We tend to really bottom out when we do, but not for any great length of time. (00-01 and 08-10)
Then we're the surprise finalists (02 and maybe 2011). Once we start winning, home ground advantage is often enough to get us close to finals, with a few wins on the road.

And a super professional club.

I think that is called tanking

Pretty much same personell as last year

Yeah bullshit

We have nothing like the same lineup as last year week to week, when you consider who was actually fit (

I dont know how you can say we ALWAYS bounce back quickly. It was 11 years in between GF appearances (94 - 05) which is about right if you rebuid well enough. We are still a couple of years away from challenging again I would of thought and that would make it around 7 years since 06. It should only take 3-5 years to rebuild an ageing club into making finals. I really dont understand what clubs like Richmond have been doing.

Not really. If we were tanking we wouldn't have won 4 of our last 5 in 09, or finished last the one year it doesn't get you pick 1 (unless you trade it for Croad). Had huge injury problems last year and pumped a lot of games into the younger players.
And not really. Got most of our best players back and fit.

Cox was injured most of the year, Glass played a handful, Shuey and Kerr and playing terrifically, Butler and Hurn missed a bunch as well.

So quickly? We were crap in 2008 2009 2010 - felt like a eternity. Still a few holes in our team when the older brigade eventually move on but there is a lot of talent developing nicely in the WAFL.

So quickly? We were crap in 2008 2009 2010 - felt like a eternity. Still a few holes in our team when the older brigade eventually move on but there is a lot of talent developing nicely in the WAFL.

If u compare WCE bottoming out compared to Carlton and Melbourne's time at the bottom, they have done it quicker and more impressive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As i hate the west coast fans, this is hard to say

A fantastic, professional and throw as many "franchise" words at them, incredible winning culture and are as strong of a football team as anyother.

Add in $$$, players willing to play for them at less then open market value (fact that football is huge over W.A. and only two clubs, personal sponcership over here is incredibly easier to gain then anywhere else)

Again, as much as i hate the fans, and a few former/current players, you cannot question that they do not accept a mediocre season, whether you throw in the "re-building" tag around while other clubs do

If u compare WCE bottoming out compared to Carlton and Melbourne's time at the bottom, they have done it quicker and more impressive

It's true, we were pretty gutted at the end of '07 and even '08 for quality.

this is only our 2nd bounce back though, and this season is not even half way through. Eagles fans really need to keep a lid on it, myself included :)

Premature thread. Have we won a final, got into a GF or won a fourth flag yet?

Would like to see us take some moves to sure up some more quality depth in our playing squad. Being agressive and going after
a Rich, Matera or O'Meara would be a good start.

I don't think this year means much, unless we win the flag!

A lot of improvement is on the back of the return to form or lack of injury to senior players. Youngsters have stepped up too, but they probably only account for 35-40% of the improvement.

If we don't win a flag with these senior players, we'll need to keep developing the next generation to slot into their positions.

I think we're actually pretty good for coverage for those guys, but it's not really a case of plug-and-play for the replacements. They'll take time to find their feet.

The chances of winning the flag in 2011 or 2012 are ridiculously slim, so this bounce-back might not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I certainly appreciate the respect thrown our way in this thread, but the chances of this season being a spring-board into another flag assault are extremely limited and rely on our senior players remaining fit and healthy, and having longer careers than the guys in the 25 years before them.

Good core of young talent, the veterans who were down on form/injured last year have stepped up and been impressive. TBH they underachieved last year massively.

A lot of money also helps.

That said, it's round 12 and they've been impressive so far but they could drop off in the latter half of the year, let's not count our chickens...

I think it is partly just an indication of how many things went wrong at the same time in 2008/09. In the space of two years, we lost Judd, Cousins, Hunter and Braun permanently, and then had Cox, Kerr and Glass, cop serious, career threatening injuries. If you extracted 6 or 7 of the top 10 players in any team in the competition, they will hit rock bottom very quickly, which in the AFL helps.

It means young kids get much more minutes and responsibility, and if you draft okay things turn around very quickly. Add to that Cox, Kerr and Glass all returning to close to their best this year, and it looks a lot more rosy.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do West Coast always bounce back so quickly as a club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back