How do West Coast always bounce back so quickly as a club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Good core of young talent, the veterans who were down on form/injured last year have stepped up and been impressive. TBH they underachieved last year massively.

That's a big part of it - last preseason a lot of scribes were predicting us to push up towards the 8...

I can see them win another flag within 2 or 3 years. I am glad the club didn't listen to media and fan pressure and sack Worsfold last year.

Money can't just be a factor, Adelaide and Essendon have just as much money, if not more then WCE but the Eagles have overtaken them,

Great club with a great culture

:D

Ok, you keep believing that .... its inaccurate but you keep believing...

Yep, 15th, 11th, 16th with a compromised draft is top shelf tanking.:thumbsu:

We'll be amazing in a few years when Cotchin, Martin, Scully & Swallow come on... wait, what?

That's the interesting thing isn't. It hasn't been an injection of top draft picks (or big recruits that have got us here) except NicNat.

Worsha knows what is required to build premiership teams and the club hates losing.

Still a while to go this time around though.

That's the interesting thing isn't. It hasn't been an injection of top draft picks (or big recruits that have got us here) except NicNat.

Worsha knows what is required to build premiership teams and the club hates losing.

You're kidding right? You've had 7 top 20 draft picks since 2007. The only club with more is Melbourne.

Fair play to West Coast on developing their players and playing a good contested game style, but it's not like you missed out on decent picks.

Since we won the flag our first round picks have been:

2006: Brown (16)
2007: Masten (3), Ebert (13)
2008: Naitanui (2)
2009: Sheppard (7)
2010: Gaff (4)

With the exception of Naitanui, none of those guys have played major roles in 2011. It's not an array of duds, but it's not like we replaced Judd & Cousins with Martin/Cotchin or Scully/Trengove etc.

You're kidding right? You've had 7 top 20 draft picks since 2007. The only club with more is Melbourne.

Fair play to West Coast on developing their players and playing a good contested game style, but it's not like you missed out on decent picks.

Melbourne have had 10 top 20 picks since 2007 with two #1s, a #2 and a #4 amongst them.

West Coast have had 8.

What impressed me more than anything was that during it all, the club was clearly trying to maintain that winning culture.

Even in 2009, during their down period, they finished the season strongly to rule out both a priority pick and a higher placing in the draft.

Then you compare that with other clubs (we know who they are) that "arguably" set out to lose games and seasons of football to get higher draft picks.

Respect, West Coast. Respect.

When you guys eventually get back up there and win another premiership, I'll be cheering you on. If these other unsaid clubs ever achieve that, they will have nothing but my contempt.

Wow.

Great post from a non West Coast fan.:thumbsu:

Cheers:thumbsu::thumbsu:

With the exception of Naitanui, none of those guys have played major roles in 2011. It's not an array of duds, but it's not like we replaced Judd & Cousins with Martin/Cotchin or Scully/Trengove etc.

although its not as though you got junk for judd. Added kennedy and masten which accelerated your rebuild. So essentially you can add pick 5 and 3 on to that list not to mention pick 20 odd.

It's been good recovery this year.

To be a serious finals contender you MUST beat sides lower than you at their ground. So far we're doing a bit of this.

But as for why do we bounce back so quickly - Money and massive support, not always financial but the Eagles have HUGE psychological support in WA. There is a real desire to see them do well. You have a very large percentage of the community wanting success for them. This is why the Dockers are a little left behind, because they were second cab off the rank.

The division of community loyalties to a footy side is not the same in WA ( or SA ) as it is in Vic. QLD and NSW do not compete in the community in the same way for supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly - and i mentioned Naitanui.

Some people should think before they post.

I'm sure they do it just just to piss myself and the other non wc supporters in WA off, can't read the paper any more or listen to the talkback on the radio!

On a more serious note though, wc have always seemed to draft really well. They have great facilities and as other people have said, the whole club seems to have a winning (almost arrogant, no, scratch the almost) attitude.

IMO this years improvement has come largely from the players believing in the change of game plan from the crap one they've persisted with last few years.On Broadbridge,to me he didn't make the good kickers bad,he just couldn't improve anyones kicking.

Let me state the obvious, a common occurence on Bigfooty.

- Strong winning culture
- Exceptional recruiting
- Exceptional management of injured players
- Home field advantage magnified when team is in form.

IMO this years improvement has come largely from the players believing in the change of game plan from the crap one they've persisted with last few years.On Broadbridge,to me he didn't make the good kickers bad,he just couldn't improve anyones kicking.
I agree on Broadbridge. Some of our fans have way overestimated his influence....

I feel the various off field dramas after the 06 flag set the Eagles back a couple of years, but they got that sorted over time and now have got a strong and disciplined playing group. Picking up Jack Darling was also an unexpected bonus

This is the first year Woosha has beem allowed to Coach the Club , the past three seasons have been about re establishing the off field culture . Plus Alan Cransberg as Chairman , high achiever who doesnt accept failure well :footy:

Pleasantly surprised and may it continue for little longer

Remove this Banner Ad

How do West Coast always bounce back so quickly as a club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back