How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to how, had Pendlebury's goal been allowed, with 2:46 minutes to go, who's to say Geelong wouldn't of kicked another goal?
This is quite true. The difference only in the fact that Pendlebury did kick a goal which the umpires boss has since stated should have been allowed. It's a difference that may seem only slight but the words did and might tend to be fairly diametrically opposed on occasion. In any event the point is moot given that Collingwood played very poorly that day and only Geelong's inaccurate kicking allowed us to kick what almost certainly would have been the winning goal.

let them all injure themselves, like they are atm

this is unfortunately starting to ring very true. only injuries or bad luck on prelim or GF day can derail this collingwood campaign and they have been hit very hard this year by the former. consider the players to have missed varying chunks of the season - maxwell (x2), dawes, johnson, toovey, dick, n brown, didak, macaffer, jolly, wellingham, beams (and you can add shaw's suspension to the list)

then there's those that have played with niggles and/or missed a week or more due to niggles - swan thomas Lbrown buckley

the back 6 has rarely been settled all year, while the forward division has played the 2nd half of the year without its 2nd most important cog. it is a remarkable effort really to get to 18-1 considering the injuries they have had

this is unfortunately starting to ring very true. only injuries or bad luck on prelim or GF day can derail this collingwood campaign and they have been hit very hard this year by the former. consider the players to have missed varying chunks of the season - maxwell (x2), dawes, johnson, toovey, dick, n brown, didak, macaffer, jolly, wellingham, beams (and you can add shaw's suspension to the list)

then there's those that have played with niggles and/or missed a week or more due to niggles - swan thomas Lbrown buckley

the back 6 has rarely been settled all year, while the forward division has played the 2nd half of the year without its 2nd most important cog. it is a remarkable effort really to get to 18-1 considering the injuries they have had
it just goes to show how important a quality game plan and style is, as long as everyone does what they have to do things will still be fine. The hawks are a good example.

the pies and cats fans calling the GF matchup already get your hands off it. The cats have to get through us first. 6 in a row will mean jack if you cant get up for the QF. In fact it will mean absolutely nothing. We will find out tonight just how good and how threatening we are in the bigger picture but to declare it a 2 horse race is asking for trouble.

the pies and cats fans calling the GF matchup already get your hands off it. The cats have to get through us first. 6 in a row will mean jack if you cant get up for the QF. In fact it will mean absolutely nothing. We will find out tonight just how good and how threatening we are in the bigger picture but to declare it a 2 horse race is asking for trouble.
Really? I thought you were only playing Carlton! :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team is ever unbeatable. Footy is a two horse race and there's been plenty of team that have let a premiership slip when they should have had it in the bag.

1. You have two go in with two recognised ruckman. Collingwood rely heavily on Jolly. Your first ruckman must negate or ideally beat Jolly. Certainly can't let him get forward and kick goals and need to give your team first use of the ball as there midfield is the best in the business. Your second ruckman must own Leigh Brown. Handy utility who has made everyone eat humble pie, but a true ruckman he aint. Going in with only one ruck is playing into Collngwood's hands.

2. Their midfield is too good so pick one player to put a heavy tag and back your own midfield in against the rest. You can't be too defensive or you will never win. Need to make their midfield accountable by pushing forward and winning clearances. For mine Swan is a diificult guy to tagm not as damaging as the others and has had a poorer year. So either Thomas or Pendlebury.

3. With Dawes out and rumours of a calf strain they could be a quality big man out down forward. Need your best defender on Cloke and hopefully push him up the ground away from goals or double team him in the 50m arc. I see them relying on crumbers to get their goals rather than taking marks - Blair, Krakouer, Sidebottom all get good positions at a contest.

4. Attack their game plan. To me to beat the press is to go the shortest way to goal i.e. down the middle regularly from a kick in. Going away wide plays into their hands and allows them to chop off the next kick. Going long down the middle to either of your big ruckman with players running on can set up some easy forward entries and cherry picker is a must.

5. O'Brien, Maxwell and Shaw are their only rebounding backman. Maxwell out injured means one of these other two must be pulled deep into the 50m and the other guys opponent needs to do a number on him. They play loose and often unaccountable. The opponent must be a strong mark and lead up player who you can go to.

6. Tarrant's not half the player he used to be so you need a strong FF or CHF.

So to me the key is some quality marking big men in your team to 1 win the ruck, 2 allow you to go attacking against the press and 3 make the most of their rebounding half backs. Then it's a matter of matching the midfield. Outside of Cloke no one puts the fear into me up forward.

From an Eagles perspective I see us having the rucks and big men to do this, just not sure if we have the midfield quality to score an upset. Geelong I see as outside of Ottens having too week a big man department. Hawthorn has the forward line to worry and the midfield to match but weaker down back. Carlton has the midfield but forward line is a worry

No team is ever unbeatable. Footy is a two horse race and there's been plenty of team that have let a premiership slip when they should have had it in the bag.

1. You have two go in with two recognised ruckman. Collingwood rely heavily on Jolly. Your first ruckman must negate or ideally beat Jolly. Certainly can't let him get forward and kick goals and need to give your team first use of the ball as there midfield is the best in the business. Your second ruckman must own Leigh Brown. Handy utility who has made everyone eat humble pie, but a true ruckman he aint. Going in with only one ruck is playing into Collngwood's hands.

2. Their midfield is too good so pick one player to put a heavy tag and back your own midfield in against the rest. You can't be too defensive or you will never win. Need to make their midfield accountable by pushing forward and winning clearances. For mine Swan is a diificult guy to tagm not as damaging as the others and has had a poorer year. So either Thomas or Pendlebury.

3. With Hall out and rumours of a calf strain they could be a quality big man out down forward. Need your best defender on Cloke and hopefully push him up the ground away from goals or double team him in the 50m arc. I see them relying on crumbers to get their goals rather than taking marks - Blair, Krakouer, Sidebottom all get good positions at a contest.

4. Attack their game plan. To me to beat the press is to go the shortest way to goal i.e. down the middle regularly from a kick in. Going away wide plays into their hands and allows them to chop off the next kick. Going long down the middle to either of your big ruckman with players running on can set up some easy forward entries and cherry picker is a must.

5. O'Brien, Maxwell and Shaw are their only rebounding backman. Maxwell out injured means one of these other two must be pulled deep into the 50m and the other guys opponent needs to do a number on him. They play loose and often unaccountable. The opponent must be a strong mark and lead up player who you can go to.

6. Tarrant's not half the player he used to be so you need a strong FF or CHF.

So to me the key is some quality marking big men in your team to 1 win the ruck, 2 allow you to go attacking against the press and 3 make the most of their rebounding half backs. Then it's a matter of matching the midfield. Outside of Cloke no one puts the fear into me up forward.

From an Eagles perspective I see us having the rucks and big men to do this, just not sure if we have the midfield quality to score an upset. Geelong I see as outside of Ottens having too week a big man department. Hawthorn has the forward line to worry and the midfield to match but weaker down back. Carlton has the midfield but forward line is a worry
Pick apart the press by kicking to targets leading up through the zone is just as an effective way to do it, this will than make them accountable and if they refuse too they will get punished. It relys on elite skills, knowing where to run to and decision making, all teams that have a desire to win the flag should be elite at these areas otherwise they are kidding themselves. People saying it wont work (pies supporters mainly) are assuming no side is skillful or smart enough to pull it off, time will tell. The key to beating them is to force them to play your style of play, it might not neccessarily be 1 on 1 situations, something different to what they are used to. handballing more than kicking, losing focus and getting sucked in to niggle (it might happen, teams arent doing enough of this) if this happens you are going to win.

Pick apart the press by kicking to targets leading up through the zone is just as an effective way to do it, this will than make them accountable and if they refuse too they will get punished. It relys on elite skills, knowing where to run to and decision making, all teams that have a desire to win the flag should be elite at these areas otherwise they are kidding themselves. People saying it wont work (pies supporters mainly) are assuming no side is skillful or smart enough to pull it off, time will tell. The key to beating them is to force them to play your style of play, it might not neccessarily be 1 on 1 situations, something different to what they are used to. handballing more than kicking, losing focus and getting sucked in to niggle (it might happen, teams arent doing enough of this) if this happens you are going to win.

Yeah this is going to be Hawthorns chance. Enough great kicks in the team, but perhaps lack the lead up guys outside of Buddy. Could have done with an in form Roughhead

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back