How does Tom Hawkins...

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon I would of kicked more goals than Hawkins with the delivery he gets and how often in comes in. Another goaless effort tonight, seems to be pretty good at handballing on the edge of the 50.

Also his goal kicking is very suspect, even the ones he gets. The good 5metres of drift he gets with the kick surely can not be Hawkins himself doing it.

Geelong however won't drop him as Bay13 would go into meltdown.

The worrying thing for Hawkins is that you won;t get much better service that the Geelong midfield and he still looks very ordinary.

If he stays in the side and they win the flag, I think he might be a contender for the "Spuds that have premiership medallions" club.

Footy has changed, hawkins would be a gun in the 80's but not now, he is just too big and slow to succeed. A modern day dinosaur.

He would be struggling for a a game let alone a kick at a poor club.
I agree with most of this, I have not seen Hawkins every game so im not the best judge but the few i have watched he has looked pretty dull to me. Even the young guys will normally show something to get excited about but while i was watching i did not see anything from him.

Tom Hawkins : 27 Games, 37 Goals
Jonathan Brown : 27 Games, 27 goals

A bit of perspective.
He is a young KPP who is gradually learning how to play the toughest position on the ground.

A bit of perspective.
He is a young KPP who is gradually learning how to play the toughest position on the ground.
fair point but he will never be a jon brown ,,,... and we all no it

You gotta love ignorant opposition supporters.

Gamble was dropped for not doing the team thing in Round 2. Since then his form in the VFL has been average at best - was BOG playing through the middle in Round 5 but on either side of that was ordinary. If form in the twos was the sole requirement, Djerkurra would have been in ahead of him.

Meanwhile Hawkins has been excellent this season. He hasn't kicked a bag - so what? The massive raps on him have always been coming from outside. Anyone who has actually watched Geelong in the past six weeks would know he's been playing really well and doing his job. We look a much better side with both he and Moons leading up out of CHF and dishing off to guys running past; note he didn't do that tonight nearly as much because we needed a tall presence deep. Getting beaten by Lake is no great embarrassment, either. As for his kicking action - was kicking fine last week. He's got the yips but that's not much of a cross in a team that sprays them regularly.

Bottom line is he's doing fine, people talking about 'giving him one more year' are on another planet. He'll play 200+ games, barring injury, and will be at CHF/FF when we're next making a tilt.

Maybe, but they arent that good. Hawkins could be good, but Gamble is unbalanced and has an average kick. I'd definitely take Hawkins, but wouldnt want Gamble. I can see why Geelong dont play him often.
Gamble played a fair bit last year, didn't he? I think they just need to figure out who they want in the forward line with a long term view. Mooney, Johnson and Stokes are certainties at the moment. Chapman floats around the ground but probably considered a HF flanker. That leaves 2 spots for Hawkins and Gamble. Yes Geelong have enough talent to disguise a poor game by either but they should both play. They are both good players when up and about.
F: Matthew Stokes; Tom Hawkins; Steve Johnson
HF: Paul Chapman; Cameron Mooney; Ryan Gamble

For a team whos supposed weakness is their forward line, it's a pretty good weakness.

A bit of perspective.
J brown did a hell of a lot more than kick 27 goals in those games. If i recall correctly Lynch had the goalsquare to himself and the goals were being well shared.
Comparing the 2 is ridiculous.

I reckon I would of kicked more goals than Hawkins with the delivery he gets and how often in comes in. Another goaless effort tonight, seems to be pretty good at handballing on the edge of the 50.

Also his goal kicking is very suspect, even the ones he gets. The good 5metres of drift he gets with the kick surely can not be Hawkins himself doing it.

Geelong however won't drop him as Bay13 would go into meltdown.

I reckon I could kick 50 with the cats too. All you have to do is throw yourself forward in a tackle and bingo, shot on goal.

Funny how they introduce a forward with a dodgy kick after choking in a GF with a bunch of chokers in front of goal.

Gamble played a fair bit last year, didn't he? I think they just need to figure out who they want in the forward line with a long term view. Mooney, Johnson and Stokes are certainties at the moment. Chapman floats around the ground but probably considered a HF flanker. That leaves 2 spots for Hawkins and Gamble. Yes Geelong have enough talent to disguise a poor game by either but they should both play. They are both good players when up and about.
F: Matthew Stokes; Tom Hawkins; Steve Johnson
HF: Paul Chapman; Cameron Mooney; Ryan Gamble

For a team whos supposed weakness is their forward line, it's a pretty good weakness.
Varcoe is a much better player than Gamble.

Much better.

Jarryd Roughead has played games like Hawkins did tonight this year and he is an established gun player.

Sounds like he was absolutely woeful but drawing any conclusions on the basis of that performance is just stupid. He has been excellent over the past month.

He was on a very good player as well and didnt handle it, he'll learn. We'll happily take him down to Geelong. I bet the dogs would love to have him.

Speaking of being on a very good player, is Scarlett's battle with Welsh the most embarrassing one sided personal contest in history? He has literally been best on ground in nearly every game he has played on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absoloute hack who is being dragged along in geelongs tremendous wake. He is basically a big lumpy who would struggle to get a kick at another club. Too big, too slow, too stupid for modern footy.

He's not THAT bad. Remember that he is a big guy with not allot of experience. One thing that is a little concerning for Geelong though, and i do stress "a little" is that he doesn't seem to have too many tricks up his sleeve. That is to say, normally when a young player is starting out, you can tell that he has the talent from small pieces of play that he produce that make you sit back and say "this guy looks like he could be a player". Up till this point, i can't say i've seen much of that from Hawkins. But once again, he hasn't played a whole lot of footy so it's unfair to judge him too harshly.

I agree with most of this, I have not seen Hawkins every game so im not the best judge but the few i have watched he has looked pretty dull to me. Even the young guys will normally show something to get excited about but while i was watching i did not see anything from him.

I would take taylor walker in a heart beat over the big sloth hawkins.

buddy/ tredders/ brown/ all the GUN forwards were playing well at that age. Geelong are so good as a team its difficult to gauge how good each individual in the machine is, I honestly think that hawkins and 3-4 other geelong players would really struggle for a game at an average club.

Footy has changed, hawkins would be a gun in the 80's but not now, he is just too big and slow to succeed. A modern day dinosaur.

He would be struggling for a a game let alone a kick at a poor club.

You haven't watched Geelong over the past month have you?

Tom picked a Friday night match to have a poor game, but he has been good for them lately.

Looking over your posts in this thread, it's clear you're trolling anyway.

Went to a mates place to watch the game with a few Geelong supporters and when they were honest with me they admitted they were gutted that he couldn't stand up when the heat was on. Last night was make or break for mine, he shows flashes and spurts and then goes missing. The potential is still there, no question. But how long can you carry a KPF that can't reach his potential in front of that midfield?

Tom has been good this year and showed some very good signs over the past month. Presenting well and creating plenty of goal scoring opportunities.

People dont realise that this is probably the first game has played with a defender the quality of Brian Lake on him. Usually Lake would have gone to Moons. Tom was smashed last night but he will have learned alot and will be better because of it.

Went to a mates place to watch the game with a few Geelong supporters and when they were honest with me they admitted they were gutted that he couldn't stand up when the heat was on. Last night was make or break for mine, he shows flashes and spurts and then goes missing. The potential is still there, no question. But how long can you carry a KPF that can't reach his potential in front of that midfield?

When you're winning every game, as long as it takes I guess. How long did you carry Roughead when he didn't look much chop? And you guys were getting spanked as well. I don't see too much difference, they would be crazy to do otherwise.

When you're winning every game, as long as it takes I guess. How long did you carry Roughead when he didn't look much chop? And you guys were getting spanked as well. I don't see too much difference, they would be crazy to do otherwise.
Point taken on the winning games. But Roughead had no competition for his spot and still doesn't get the service of Geelong's midfield. I Just reckon a kid with Hawkins' promise should be performing a lot better than he does.

Truely, i believe he is on level with Mitch Thorp, only difference is, Geelong have a free osition for a developing KPP.

Waits for Lunch Lady Doris and other geelong posters to chuck a hissy fit

Remove this Banner Ad

How does Tom Hawkins...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back