How far can GWS go this season?

How far can GWS go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Their season has a bit of a sniff of Geelong 2004 about it - young, exciting, good building blocks in place but just a bit too raw for the prize. I think their ceiling is finishing 3rd to 5th and losing a preliminary final - unless they meet Sydney in Sydney on the way through, neutralising a home ground advantage.

Without paying too much attention to positions:

Traded/Delisted:

Bruce Boyd Lamb
Miles (McCarthy) Plowman
Adams Townsend ORoarke
Sumner Hombsch Hampton
Bugg Frost Jasckh
Phillips Tyson Treloar
Giles SEdwards Whiley

On the sidelines this week (round one draft picks and players who have performed well at AFL level)

Stewart Tomlinson Pickett
Smith (Mcarthy) Hoskin-Elliot
Hopper Ahern Griffen
Himmelburg Cohr Kennedy
Marchbank Mohr
Downie
...And apparently another couple of top ten draft picks from the academy from this years draft.

How far can they go this season? At the moment it looks like 3-5. What will their trophy cabinet look like in ten years? I don't want to know.

Without paying too much attention to positions:

Traded/Delisted:

Bruce Boyd Lamb
Miles (McCarthy) Plowman
Adams Townsend ORoarke
Sumner Hombsch Hampton
Bugg Frost Jasckh
Phillips Tyson Treloar
Giles SEdwards Whiley

On the sidelines this week (round one draft picks and players who have performed well at AFL level)

Stewart Tomlinson Pickett
Smith (Mcarthy) Hoskin-Elliot
Hopper Ahern Griffen
Himmelburg Cohr Kennedy
Marchbank Mohr
Downie
...And apparently another couple of top ten draft picks from the academy from this years draft.

How far can they go this season? At the moment it looks like 3-5. What will their trophy cabinet look like in ten years? I don't want to know.
Lol including Downie and Mohr makes you post nothing but a name dump

I know they pumped hawthorn on the weekend but I'm sure they did something similar last year or the year before, got a few wins in a row an upset or two (back then) and then the wheels fell of the cart

Lol including Downie and Mohr makes you post nothing but a name dump

You have a better knowledge of your list then me. I included names that have been talked up on these boards or mentioned in the media. Take them off if you feel like it...then there will only be two more drafts until you can field an entire second side!

They were very impressive on the weekend, however I'm still not sold on them contending this year or next year.

They played some brilliant footy last year as well, yet they faded badly in the second half of the season and missed the finals. I haven't seen enough ruthless footy from them to convince me they can come to the MCG and win a final. The round 1 loss was a prime example of how inept they can be when everything isn't going their way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a serious question but how can anyone stop Rory Lobb? I mean he is 206cm, and he isn't a ruckman who can play a bit in the forward line, he is a genuine marking forward, a player that can take massive marks, and has a very good kick on him, and he leads like a forward, not a ruckman.

At 206cm I can't think of anyone in my team that could go with him as our tallest defender is still giving away 11cm which is a huge number. If he continues to improve Lobb could be unplayable, in that no team has a realistic shot at stopping him, and all they could do is limit his supply and hope for the best.

Here is a serious question but how can anyone stop Rory Lobb? I mean he is 206cm, and he isn't a ruckman who can play a bit in the forward line, he is a genuine marking forward, a player that can take massive marks, and has a very good kick on him, and he leads like a forward, not a ruckman.

At 206cm I can't think of anyone in my team that could go with him as our tallest defender is still giving away 11cm which is a huge number. If he continues to improve Lobb could be unplayable, in that no team has a realistic shot at stopping him, and all they could do is limit his supply and hope for the best.

Somebody managed to in round 3 - very quiet game.

Jake Carlisle, Will beat him more often than not IMO.

They're a very good team. Prevailing wisdom would say they need a bit of finals experience before winning a flag but they're definitely a contender. Deceptively good midfield supported by a beast of a ruckmen in Mumford.

Cats have 198cm Lonergan, 196cm Henderson and 195cm Taylor. Thought we dealt with him quite well, it was Mumford and the midfield brigade that ripped us a new one.

The media overreact to any gws win

Ohh its coming watch out, take the concessions off them etc

Great win, developing nicely but they are not some super power on one win

If they lose to Freo this week they will jump off them

Remove this Banner Ad

How far can GWS go this season?

Back