How good can Butcher be?

Remove this Banner Ad

So you would rather have Yarran than Franklin? Or Andrew Mcloud instead of Carey?

What?

So you would rather have Yarran than Franklin? Or Andrew Mcloud instead of Carey?

What?

Perfect example. Now Butcher is Franklin or Carey. How the hell can you blokes possibly understand reality from that platform? Answer is, you can't; hence the ridiculous comments in this thread.

To answer your question, I'd rather Franklin and Carey, but I reckon Adelaide wouldn't swap having had McLeod over Carey in their GF match.

Now ask me if I'd trade Yarran for Jack Riewoldt. I mean, KPF's like Reiwodlt are, after all, rare as hen's teeth right? Well the answer is no. Unless you're talking about the proven freak No.1 KPF in the league or even freak No.1 midfielder in the league, there's no way you'd trade Yaz.

I was just testing how much you overrate Yarran. I would trade Butcher for Franklin in a heartbeat, despite Franklin's age. On the other hand I would be disgusted if we traded him for Yarran. I mean seriously, the guy isn't even playing as well as Davis. Would you trade Yarran for Davis if they were the same age??? Would you trade Murphy or Gibbs for Davis if they were the same age?? Of course not. Davis up until half a year ago was a massive spud, which proves just how easy it is to play half back flank. If Yarran was doing what he does while playing in the midfield it would be a lot more impressive than it is now.

Anyway, this should be about Butcher and not about how much Carlton overrate their players so I'll try my very best to stop arguing with you.

I mean seriously, the guy isn't even playing as well as Davis. Would you trade Yarran for Davis if they were the same age???

Too bizarro world for me tbh. I'll just say that Yaz has been more impressive at the same age and that while Leon's season has been better, I'd say Yarran's best has been more impressive and he's had more moments of brilliance; which is really what you're looking for in a 20yo sub-50 game player, rather than measuring his consistency against that of a 200+ game player from the premiership favourites. Imagine if I took your above rationale and applied it to Butcher and Cloke for example; it's just silly.

But yes, this thread is about Butcher, who looks like a very impressive prospect. You can go back to talking about him and move on from taking ridiculous pot-shots at other exciting young talents.

I'm sorry, but I can't let this bullshit about Yarran go through to the keeper.

Perfect example. Now Butcher is Franklin or Carey. How the hell can you blokes possibly understand reality from that platform?

Butcher is a hell of a lot closer to Carey than Yarran is to McLeod.

Monkey King said:
Unless you're talking about the proven freak No.1 KPF in the league or even freak No.1 midfielder in the league, there's no way you'd trade Yaz.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Monkey King said:
You can go back to talking about him and move on from taking ridiculous pot-shots at other exciting young talents.

The General started it.

Now ask me if I'd trade Yarran for Jack Riewoldt. I mean, KPF's like Reiwodlt are, after all, rare as hen's teeth right? Well the answer is no.

YNndTO0.gif

What, quick linebreaking half backs with average to good kicking skills?

Johncock, Hanley, Leon Davis, O'Brien, Dempsey, Wojcinski, Harbrow, Motlop, Pittard, Deledio, Kennelly. And that's just off of the top of my head.

All of these players are 'like' Yarran, and the bolded ones are (or were in Kennelly's case) better.
Are all of these players plus Butcher more talented than Yarran?

Nice to see that you've pigeon holed a 20 year old player as just a flanker.
:D

Butcher has shown less than Trengove, Davis and Vickery who are very good, but were picked after Yarran for a good reason.

How do you ratify that Butcher is the more talented footballer purely because he plays a KPP and can take a mark?

It's the same bulltish that people presented before we took Lucas over BF's group think favourite Talia.

Jonathan Brown's best was better than Mcleod's.

Diesel was better than Sticks.
The General started it.
Why is it a knock on Butcher to compare him to another player?

Butcher would address one of our needs, but Gary Rohan will be a better footballer.

Jet.

The General said:
Are all of these players plus Butcher more talented than Yarran?

Lol. 'Who cares if they're better, are they more talented?'

Damien Cupido and Ashley Sampi were both more talented than Yarran :thumbsu:

The General said:
Butcher has shown less than Trengove, Davis and Vickery who are very good, but were picked after Yarran for a good reason.

Coming from a Port supporter, Butcher certainly has not shown less than Trengove. There was a poll on our board about which one we should keep and last time I checked the results were Butcher 18, Trengove 1. Davis is about as good as Trengove, so that answers that. And when Vickery was at the same stage of his career at Butcher there was a fair contingent of Tigers supporters who thought he was shit and wanted him delisted.

The General said:
How do you ratify that Butcher is the more talented footballer purely because he plays a KPP and can take a mark?

He doesn't have to be 'more talented', his talent is more important. Butcher has shown better contested marking ability in 3 games than plenty of successful AFL key forwards have shown over their career. Yarran has shown that he can run past a player or two and then kick the ball at the feet of whoever he was aiming at.

The General said:
It's the same bulltish that people presented before we took Lucas over BF's group think favourite Talia.

And how's that working out for you?

I've decided to make a helpful little breakdown of where Carlton supporters do rate players and where they should:

Where Carlton supporters rate players:
Future superstar who you wouldn't give up for anyone - Chris Yarran
Promising youngster who's done some nice things - Kane Lucas
Has been in the AFL system for two years and done three fifths of **** all -

Where Carlton supporters should rate players
Future superstar who you wouldn't give up for anyone -
Promising youngster who's done some nice things - Chris Yarran
Has been in the AFL system for two years and done three fifths of **** all - Kane Lucas

I've also got a pop quiz for you, just to see how far your bias extends. Who would you rather, Butcher or Henderson?

I'm sorry, but I can't let this bullshit about Yarran go through to the keeper.

Same reason I chimed into this thread.

What, quick linebreaking half backs with average to good kicking skills?

Johncock, Hanley, Leon Davis, O'Brien, Dempsey, Wojcinski, Harbrow, Motlop, Pittard, Deledio, Kennelly. And that's just off of the top of my head.

All of these players are 'like' Yarran, and the bolded ones are (or were in Kennelly's case) better.

It's your method that fails you mate. No point pigeon-holing Yarran as this-that type of player and then listing off a bunch of guys who play that role. Watch footy; none of those blokes play anything like Yarran. It's seriously been years since I've seen anyone play like Yarran. I assume you haven't watched too much of the boy, so grab yourself a copy of the Carlton vs North game if you think I'm stark raving mad.

Nonetheless, I've already played this rare as hen's teeth game with another Port poster - Cloke, Dawes, Tarrant, Hurley, Franklin, Henderson, Clarke, Tippett, Walker, Sam Reid, Lynch, Mooney, Hawkins, J Riewoldt, N Riewoldt, Vickery, Kennedy, Darling, Gumbleton, Hall, Roughhead, Petrie ...

Not as rare as most people tend to make out :cool:

:confused::eek:

Amazing then isn't it that nearly everyone I've watched Carlton games with - including strangers at the pub - and many commentators, say how Yarran resembles McLeod. Have yet to hear anyone other than Port posters make the Carey-Butcher link.

Butcher is going to have some horror shows kicking for goal during his career no doubt. But as a tall focal point prospect, he ticks virtually every other box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the Port Adelaide v Melbourne game. So that was Butcher huh? I guess from the 2 or 3 times he got near the ball today I can certainly see why you guys think he's going to be a superstar :rolleyes:

So that was Butcher? As in this was the first time you have seen him play?

Good work :thumbsu:

Saw the Port Adelaide v Melbourne game. So that was Butcher huh? I guess from the 2 or 3 times he got near the ball today I can certainly see why you guys think he's going to be a superstar :rolleyes:
He's not going to play on a Rising Star winner every week. :thumbsu:

I feel sorry for you cause you are just a bitter bitter old man. Do you ever post anything positive at all? All you ever do is post things bagging out judd or karmichael or a guy playing his 4th game. Give it a rest and yeah sure some of the posts in this thread are a bit over the top but anyone can see he does have talent and sure he is going to have a quiet one every now and then like every player does.

you missed his first few games? where he kicked 6 in one from 6 kicks? wow. and you live in adelaide... Living under a rock champ? wow. Just wow. What a douche. Butcher will be a star. Whoever he ends up going to will build a forward line around him.

Quiet match today but you'd kind of expect that, didn't get a whole lot of delivery coming his way because ebert, schulz and westhoff were working really well. In fact, Butcher probably ended up being excess in terms of marking targets up forward.

Should have been paid a mark in front of goal, though which was called play on. Also, didn't get a lot of delivery directly his way, but did a lot of good pressuring work and made contests on a number of occasions.

Probably just needs to learn how to work himself into a match when the ball's not coming his way. Would love to see him leading up onto the wings ala travis cloke and taking down some big contested marks.

Didn't get great delivery today but was comfortably beaten by Rivers. Doesn't change his value much.

What will affect his value though is his kicking. He almost drops the ball from eye level. That definitely needs work.

Problem is that goalkicking is hard to fix via skype... he needs to get oout of that joint as fast as his lanky legs will carry him...

If only presenting, contested marking and desperation to chase were teachable by skype, tomahawk might not be lolworthy by now. :)

To be fair though, you have jpod, a true tall forward for the next decade!

Has kicked more than double the amount of goals at the same stage of his career as Lance Franklin :thumbsu:

Don't think Franklin had enough of an impact in his first 3 that the opposition felt the need to double team him either.

If only presenting, contested marking and desperation to chase were teachable by skype, tomahawk might not be lolworthy by now. :)

To be fair though, you have jpod, a true tall forward for the next decade!

i lol'd... Go have a look at Tommahawk's instrumental work in the 09 GF... that is the GF that we won 2 years after the 119 point debacle that your rabble of a club still havent recovered from. Failing that, go watch a replay of his hang from Friday night. Still, don't know why you're passionately defending someone who has absolutely played his last game for Port...;)

Remove this Banner Ad

How good can Butcher be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back