How has Dean Bailey escaped the axe?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was half going to agree with you until that part. Watts has taken time but he's certainly much better than the last 2 years and he is showing signs of developing in to the forward we want him to be. You just threw that in there as if it was going to back up your point, yet it's completely wrong.

Nothing wrong with the kids - it's the coach and some of the senior players that need to lift.

I watched him very closely yesterday and he did nothing to tell me he'll ever be anything but decent. FFS, they had to chuck him loose across half back to get a kick.

I watched him very closely yesterday and he did nothing to tell me he'll ever be anything but decent. FFS, they had to chuck him loose across half back to get a kick.

Yeah, yeah, we hear that all the time. The kid is barely 20 years old - if he was 24/25 years old then I'd be inclined to agree. He has shown through the season that he has the talent and ability to really step up in the coming years. You are basing your views on one game.

Yeah, yeah, we hear that all the time. The kid is barely 20 years old - if he was 24/25 years old then I'd be inclined to agree. He has shown through the season that he has the talent and ability to really step up in the coming years. You are basing your views on one game.

I hope for your sake he does. But he really seems to lack a level of intensity or even interest.

I hope for your sake he does. But he really seems to lack a level of intensity or even interest.

So do we. I agree he looks as though he lacks intensity at times but the kid is coming along at a decent pace and showing enough to suggest he can live up to the hype.

Stop talking about Watts. Seriously get over it. You use it to showcase Melbourne's woes. Fact is, the guy is competing against a hoard of kids all at his age, and he is not longer the best school boy in the team anymore. He'll be fine. Move on and accept it. Melbourne supporters have. I think most logical supporters know that and are quite happy with his progression.

That said, you're talking about a team that kept Daniher for 4 years too long. But Bailey won't be coach in 2012.

Did you actually watch the game? He moved to the backline when Garland was injured? I thought you would have recognized that SLF? You certainly aren't an idiot (not reflected in that post btw)

And I thought he showed some good signs winning some contested ball and one on one contests in the forward line

It's hard to imagine him being very inspiring. I can't envision him giving a really good 3 quartertime team-lifting speech.

Probably can fill out a mean tax return though.

Funny, I would have said exactly the same thing about J Riewoldt before last year

Except maybe not so good at the tax returns :p

True, but he didn't actually man up in too many contests back there.

That's true, but he was apparently being used as 'the loose man', I didn't like the decision tbh, it was akin to throwing him in the deep end

Did you actually watch the game? He moved to the backline when Garland was injured? I thought you would have recognized that SLF? You certainly aren't an idiot (not reflected in that post btw)

And I thought he showed some good signs winning some contested ball and one on one contests in the forward line
He was sent back as a loose man in the second quarter. Macmillan went to follow him but was told to go back to the wing. Watts ran loose a fair bit, dropping in the hole from time to time and pretty played a quite loose role.
He picked up a bit of the ball, did some nice things in traffic and moved very well around the ground.

He had a nice game for a 6'5 wingman.

Yeah, I thought Watts was okay. Didnt look too lost and competed okay. Hadn't really watched him before, but thought he might be better behind the ball.

Certainly wasnt the worst out there, that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was sent back as a loose man in the second quarter. Macmillan went to follow him but was told to go back to the wing. Watts ran loose a fair bit, dropping in the hole from time to time and pretty played a quite loose role.
He picked up a bit of the ball, did some nice things in traffic and moved very well around the ground.

He had a nice game for a 6'5 wingman.

Which isn't what we want him to be, nice parting shot, despite what you say he can't control where he plays... you can't expect him to play like a KPF when he is being used as a stop gap in defence

as much as plenty on BF like taking the urine out of Dees supporters over Watts FWIW I hope he makes it, he may take a while like a Lachie Hansen.

On Bailey I think simmering in the background will be the powerbrokers positioning for a Malthouse takeover.....if they Dogs dont beat them to it.

Bailey did was he was supposed to do, it's a bit early to give him the ass now. Wait till Trengove, Scully, Jamar & the rest are playing regularly and see how they go eh?

I love a good Melbourne shitcan like anyone but this is true. Bailey got the job because of what he agreed to do and what was needed to be done. You don't bail on the guy just because you're yet to see the benefits. In time they'll be a good side, as we will.

The Collingwood bloke highlighting the players in red is either stupid or taking the piss. The only one you "may" make an argument for is Buckley.

Which isn't what we want him to be, nice parting shot, despite what you say he can't control where he plays... you can't expect him to play like a KPF when he is being used as a stop gap in defence
Couldn't resist TPM.

Seriously though, I personally don't think that there's much else that can be done until he develops the strength and aggression that is required to play the KPF role. He is very nimble and quick for a guy of his size, he has a really nice skill set and will be a difficult match up for any midfielder. Until that strength and aggression is developed having him play a number of roles might just be best for his development and the teams chances of moving up the ladder.

I like the idea of having him play wing and drifting forward. He could be very dangerous in that role when the team is playing well.

Funny, I would have said exactly the same thing about J Riewoldt before last year

Except maybe not so good at the tax returns :p

What does J Riewoldt have to do with your coach? :confused:

And as to your previous post about making the Finals in 2-3 years time, surely you aren't serious are you? Damien Hardwick is expected to make Finals next year, that will be his 3rd year as coach, and now you're saying Bailey isn't expected to male Finals for another 2-3 years, sheesh a coach at the helm for 5-6 years before he takes his team to Finals after bottoming out for so long.

The bar is set way way to low at Melbourne, time to raise the bar a little me thinks.

Couldn't resist TPM.

Seriously though, I personally don't think that there's much else that can be done until he develops the strength and aggression that is required to play the KPF role. He is very nimble and quick for a guy of his size, he has a really nice skill set and will be a difficult match up for any midfielder. Until that strength and aggression is developed having him play a number of roles might just be best for his development and the teams chances of moving up the ladder.

I like the idea of having him play wing and drifting forward. He could be very dangerous in that role when the team is playing well.

Haha fair enough, his agression and strength have definitely improved this year, his mark against the Hawks a couple of don't argues against Adelaide and West coast, some good contested marks in general and some good tackles (including one against K. Hunt)

It certainly didn't come naturally to him without a competitive body size, but he is rectifying that

What does J Riewoldt have to do with your coach? :confused:

And as to your previous post about making the Finals in 2-3 years time, surely you aren't serious are you? Damien Hardwick is expected to make Finals next year, that will be his 3rd year as coach, and now you're saying Bailey isn't expected to male Finals for another 2-3 years, sheesh a coach at the helm for 5-6 years before he takes his team to Finals after bottoming out for so long.

The bar is set way way to low at Melbourne, time to raise the bar a little me thinks.

I thought he was contributing to the Watts bagging, my bad if I was wrong

I meant being COMPETITIVE in finals in 2-3 three years, I have also said in this thread numerous times that I expect finals NEXT year

Pay attention before having a go at me bud.

Correct me if I'm wrong but during Bailey's tenure, Melbourne have only beaten two Victorian clubs (Richmond and Essendon). Overall, he has a 4-41 record against Victorian clubs and has won only 18 games, 12 of which have been at the MCG against interstate teams.
I think he's on his last legs.

Haha fair enough, his agression and strength have definitely improved this year, his mark against the Hawks a couple of don't argues against Adelaide and West coast, some good contested marks in general and some good tackles (including one against K. Hunt)

It certainly didn't come naturally to him without a competitive body size, but he is rectifying that
Good to hear but it will take a few more years I think. Anyway, a powerful key forward is exactly what you guys need, a reverse Frawley to be precise. How's Cook developing?

Geelong won 11 games in 2002 and in 2004 they played in a PF.

Geelongs 2004 Prelim side had 1900 games experience, 600 games more than Melbournes on the weekend

Collingwood played finals in 2006, and a PF in 2007.

Collingwoods 07 Prelim side had 2431 games experience - 1100 games more experience than the Melbourne side on the weekend

St.Kilda won 11 games in 2003 and in 2004 played in a PF.

St Kildas 04 Prelim side had 2445 games experience - 1100 games more than Melbournes side on the weekend

Basically those teams were playing in a PF after 3 or 4 years.

They also had nearly double the experience. Melbourne had 1320 games experience on the weekend - only established side lower was Richmond.

The way some people are talking you'd think Melbourne hadnt won a game yet.

The reason Bailey has escaped any heat is b/c he coaches a club that stands for little made up of a beige membership base who are content with failure. As a wonderful story that Jim Stynes is, there seems to be an unhealthy faith him & Cameron Schwab.

Good to hear but it will take a few more years I think. Anyway, a powerful key forward is exactly what you guys need, a reverse Frawley to be precise. How's Cook developing?

Frawley was not dissimilar to Watts in his early years tbh, and he was at least a competitive size in his early years

Cook is doing well, unfortunately he is spending a bit of time in the backline due to Fev. But from reports he took a great pack mark in the game on the weekend.

I think we should see some good signs later this year, and next year he will have a good year (Watts)

I'm happy to be patient

Remove this Banner Ad

How has Dean Bailey escaped the axe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back