How high can Carlton go in '08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just getting out of the bottom four will be some sort of achievement, I'll take 12th and be extremely happy with that !!

Happy with 12th? :confused:

Back to the Casbah for you Sheik, do you even remember what it's like to be a Carlton supporter FFS!?! :mad:. Your expecatations for the team are way too low! :thumbsdown:If you aim for 12th you'll finish last. Always aim for #1 even if it is unrealistic and they may well finish top #4 with a bit of confidence! Get it into the kids heads that they CAN achieve and they WILL! :cool:

Back to the Casbah for you Shiek, do you even remember what it's like to be a Carlton supporter FFS!?! :mad:. Your expecatations for the team are way too low! :thumbsdown:If you aim for 12th you'll finish last. Always aim for #1 even if it is unrealistic and well may finish top #4 with a bit of confidence! Get it into the kids heads that they CAN achieve and they WILL! :cool:

You actually raise a very valid point, these young players do need a confidence boost, that is far more important than the arrival of one C.Judd (although I do see how the two could go hand in hand). I am not having a go, but most of your players have lived with a losing culture for their whole careers, and don't say every team goes through a rebuilding phase, just look at Brisbane, Collingwood and Port. (BTW resist the temptation to bring up anything to do with Sydney's youngsters and the fact that we probably will have to rebuild Richmond style, as it has little to do with the thread topic)

You actually raise a very valid point, these young players do need a confidence boost, that is far more important than the arrival of one C.Judd (although I do see how the two could go hand in hand). I am not having a go, but most of your players have lived with a losing culture for their whole careers, and don't say every team goes through a rebuilding phase, just look at Brisbane, Collingwood and Port. (BTW resist the temptation to bring up anything to do with Sydney's youngsters and the fact that we probably will have to rebuild Richmond style, as it has little to do with the thread topic)

you cannot deny that we needed it. The way the AFL reprimanded Carlton for the salary cap breach was ridiculous. If they ever do that to another team again i'll be suprised. We got nothing (Mick Martyn) for nearly three years. Sometimes you need to re-build.

Ok I'll lay of Sydney, but you had it coming with the Ratten thing. :)

I do blame Pagan for our youngsters lack of confidence, playing Walker and Gibbs in negating roles or in the back line watching waves of goals sailing over their heads hasn't done their development or confidence any good IMO.

I remember an intra club game a couple of years ago (in Bendigo I think) where Walker ripped it up and had 50 or so possies playing in the centre. A few bad games by the youngster in the season proper with 9-10 possies and Pagan had him tagging.

I suppose he didn't have a lot of choise with our lack of senior players, but when I see guys like Thomas having a quiet game with the same sort of numbers and no influence, don't see Malthouse send him to the back pocket to tag. The luxury of having other more senior players (Judd & Stevens) who can take the load off when the younger mids are having an inconsistant spell and still leave them in attacking midfield roles, is a luxury I hope we can afford next season.

Carlton will shine this year. Judd will give the young mids a lot of leadership. Add Stevens and the midfield looks good. My main concern is their backline and the toughness of their in and under players. Overall, they will vastly improve and will come close to sneaking in the 8. Provided Fevola doesn't destabilize the team.

It's an incredibly even comp. When teams like the Saints, Bulldogs and Freo don't make finals it shows how tight it is. Injuries will play a huge part in who does well or not. Especially with the likes of Carlton and Hawthorn who have talented but inexperienced youth.

Carlton will shine this year. Judd will give the young mids a lot of leadership. Add Stevens and the midfield looks good. My main concern is their backline and the toughness of their in and under players. Overall, they will vastly improve and will come close to sneaking in the 8. Provided Fevola doesn't destabilize the team.

It's an incredibly even comp. When teams like the Saints, Bulldogs and Freo don't make finals it shows how tight it is. Injuries will play a huge part in who does well or not. Especially with the likes of Carlton and Hawthorn who have talented but inexperienced youth.

That's why Ratt's is the man for the job. Was our best in and under player of his era. No noncense types like this generally make excellent coaches over the long haul. Hopefully he can teach our young in and under mids (even the outside mids and defenders) a thing or two about toughness, winning their own ball and feeding it out effectively. :thumbsu:

we will make the 8....

team2rz5.jpg

We have judd, stevens and hadley coming in.

Murphy, walker, carrazzo, simpson, scotland, gibbs are going to reap some serious havoc while the opposition concentrate on the above mentioned three.

Live in the past all you want, but the issue is not will we make the 8, but how can we not.

I for one would like to wish everyone with short term memory issues the best of luck, because your going to need it when the blues come back.

we will make the 8....

team2rz5.jpg

We have judd, stevens and hadley coming in.

Murphy, walker, carrazzo, simpson, scotland, gibbs are going to reap some serious havoc while the opposition concentrate on the above mentioned three.

Live in the past all you want, but the issue is not will we make the 8, but how can we not.

I for one would like to wish everyone with short term memory issues the best of luck, because your going to need it when the blues come back.
Good Midfield, Servicable forward line (And if Fevola has another year like this year I'd say below average), Shizen backline. Yes....how could you probably miss the finals?

Good Midfield, Servicable forward line (And if Fevola has another year like this year I'd say below average), Shizen backline. Yes....how could you probably miss the finals?

Judd, stevens, walker, hadley, carrazzo, murphy, gibbs, .......is better than good mate.

Fevola , fisher, waite are more than just serviceable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would just like to ask who is responsible for your losing culture? If you guys had actually tried to win a few games in the last 4 years you may have been able to do a kangas and make the finals this year.

I am not the biggest fan of the Kangas (mainly their fans on BF) BUT I can respect the spirit that they have shown over the last few years to always try and win and especcially this year finishing top 4 with no real quality to speak of.

It is because of teams like the Kangas, Brisbane, Collingwood and Port Adelaide - who have rebuilt without tanking - that people now despise Carlton and hope like hell you lose miserably this year.

And before you point out the Hawks, we had two years of very average performances but only in 1 year did we get a priority pick. We have rebuilt from scratch in 3 years by trading well and not tanking.

I have no respect for Hawthorn, you are just a bunch of whingeing wannabes, and I know a heap of people who hope that you lose miserably ..... so I guess that doesn't make you much better than Carlton.

And you have Jeff Kennett as President who did more damage to this state and cost people more money that ten Dick Pratts and you treat him like a king.

And finally, your jumper is so ugly I wouldn't have used it as a cum rag in my old HT Holden when I was at Uni.

Go Tassie.

10 - 12. If we sneak into the 8 I'll be over the moon but not likely. Another development year and hopefully discover a decent defender or two and make a better fist of it in 09. :D

How many years do you want???

Personally I think you will make a fist of it this year. The midfield will be hard to stop. If the delivery into Fev is good, he could kick 100.

What are the odds on Carlton making the 8. Might be worth a $50.

I have no respect for Hawthorn, you are just a bunch of whingeing wannabes, and I know a heap of people who hope that you lose miserably ..... so I guess that doesn't make you much better than Carlton.

Weak as piss, no substance...typical Carlton mentality :)

And you have Jeff Kennett as President who did more damage to this state and cost people more money that ten Dick Pratts and you treat him like a king.

Did Jeff financially benefit out of his policy, no?

Price Fixing >>> Following a political ideology :rolleyes:

And finally, your jumper is so ugly I wouldn't have used it as a cum rag in my old HT Holden when I was at Uni.

Your jumper is now universally known as losing, how does that make you feel?

Go Tassie.

Yawn.

How is anything higher than 8th stupid?

I agree. Judd, Stevens, Scotland, Gibbs, Murphy (there are probably more, ?I am just not that familiar with your team) in the middle. Fev is probably in the top 3 or 4 Full Forwards in the league. They are starting to get their swagger back too, which is pretty important for Carlton. I don't think a tilt at finals is that gob smacking.

Back to the Casbah for you Sheik, do you even remember what it's like to be a Carlton supporter FFS!?! :mad:. Your expecatations for the team are way too low! :thumbsdown:If you aim for 12th you'll finish last. Always aim for #1 even if it is unrealistic and they may well finish top #4 with a bit of confidence! Get it into the kids heads that they CAN achieve and they WILL! :cool:

Keep living in La-La Land son, you'll come crashing back down to earth soon enough. :rolleyes:

And as for many of the predictions in this thread by other Blues supporters, good grief ............... You'd think we had also recruited Jonathon Brown, Mathew Scarlett, Dean Cox & Dustin Fletcher in addition to Judd the way you are carrying on.

FFS, we have been seriously poop for the past 5 years and are breaking in a new coach (even though I think he will be very good) this year plus we are bereft of quality ruckmen, defenders & key position players.

I am yet to see a team win a flag on the basis of just having a decent midfield (I did say 'decent', not star-studded) and that is all we have at present.

We have so many kinks that need to be ironed out that any prognostication suggesting we will play finals is sheer nonsense and just wishful thinking. If by some quirky hand of fate it was to happen then fantastic, but to suggest right here right now that it is a fait complii will render you (and in turn many other level-headed Blues fans) the laughing stock of the league for another 12-months.

Be realistic, not full of fantasy !!

Go Tassie.

Relevance ??

Reading that makes me think you haven't grown out of your Uni days ........

Remove this Banner Ad

How high can Carlton go in '08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back