How long can we carry Henderson up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Premature?

The season is nearly 1/3 of the way through.
That kind of backs up my point...

How many one on ones did we give Henderson, Yarran, etc. with our midfielders failing to move the ball inside fifty quickly?

When Carlton did get the ball inside fifty, we had run too far and too close to the leading forwards.
Where he was flatfooted and froze while weighing up options?
Not totally his fault if there was no movement from his teammates running hard to support him.

Or leading hard with that wall of Collingwood players across half back.
There were a lot of bad handpasses that game. Putting team mates under pressure. Yeah it sucked, but Hendo could have done better.
When should Lachie have done better?

When he was moved back onto Dawes and only beaten on the lead once in the first three quarters?

Perhaps you expected Henderson to have kicked a bag from a handfull of chances with hardly any one one one kicks coming in. The fact he was matched up against a physically mature opponent supported by a flood shouldn't be overlooked.

Watch the game again and count how many times we went to Henderson one out.

Maxwell was allowed to play loose across half back.

Henderson even had to go off the ground in the first quarter after copping a knock.

Your expectations of a kid who is in his first season appear to be too high.

Thank God we didn't have Ben Reid playing for Carlton on an Irishman who kicked five goals.

Our supporters would be catatonic.
You're the one comparing him to Fevola.

Not me.
I was? :rolleyes:

That kind of backs up my point...

How many one on ones did we give Henderson, Yarran, etc. with our midfielders failing to move the ball inside fifty quickly?

When Carlton did get the ball inside fifty, we had run too far and too close to the leading forwards.

Not totally his fault if there was no movement from his teammates running hard to support him.

Or leading hard with that wall of Collingwood players across half back.

When should Lachie have done better?

When he was moved back onto Dawes and only beaten on the lead once in the first three quarters?

Perhaps you expected Henderson to have kicked a bag from a handfull of chances with hardly any one one one kicks coming in. The fact he was matched up against a physically mature opponent supported by a flood shouldn't be overlooked.

Maxwell was allowed to play loose across half back.

Henderson even had to go off the ground in the first quarter after copping a knock.

Thank God we didn't have Ben Reid playing for Carlton on an Irishman who kicked five goals.

Our supporters would be catatonic.

I was? :rolleyes:

TG, won't speak for Mal as I'm sure its coming but from my point of view I'm looking at all six games and to that end I certainly don't have high expectations of Hendo and for precisely that reason he can spend some time in the twos.

We all know the seniors is the serious shit and the club is trying like hell to make the eight again this year, why not put Waitey back in for Hendo and see if we can't create more of a head ache for opposition sides?

We keep playing him in the 1's and I reckon he will lose even more confidence from his teamates.

Clearly not.

Im not (and have never) critiqued Hendo for failing to kick 'bags'

My critisicms are directed at his poor disposal when unpressured, poor decision making generally, inability fo find space on a lead and inability to take enough contested marks.

The few times the ball went to him his hands were all over the shop.

Not at all.

I dont expect him to kick bags, take a dozen marks, or win games off his own boot.

I dont expect him to dominate, simply to contribute.

And even giving him leeway for his youth, inexperience, the fact he is developing, his role in the team and the position he plays, I feel he has been underperforming the past few weeks.

Seriously long thread for in reality a line ball call...having said that, I feel the need to further the thread with another post.

Most things have been repeated ad-neuseum but I would like to say in the White/Henderson debate that i dont think that anyone advocating keeping White in the side ahead of Hednerson thinks White will be a better player for Carlton long term...it is more a situation like Garlett/Yarran last year...Garlett got the drop on Yarran early for a number of reasons. No one wrote Yarran off, just stated he needed time. At the time, Garlett deserved his place ahead of Yarran for a host of reasons, some of whch were that Yarran had injury/other concerns.

If in the short term the pendulum swings Whites way, then he should get a game ahead of Hendo similar to Garlett/Yarran situation last year.

The other thing to take into account is that Hendo has huge expectations which puts pressure on his performances. Some of those would be self inflicted/some from the supporters/club/media. On the other hand White has little or not expectations so can go crazy and gvie it his best shot without huge fear of failure. A big thing mentally for mine!

This presure on Hendersons shoulders need to be monitored or it could become a mountain of pressure and damage him long term!

who really cares ffs?

he plays, then we get some games and experience into him.

he doesnt, then he goes back to the ants and works on his contested marking and other weak points atm.

There are more important issues with our team now. Like how soft our team was on Sunday. So many times they hesitated when entering a contest. Or side stepped to avoid contact. Fumbled because they saw an opponent and panicked.
or Carrazzo's defensive game at stoppages.
or pointless trades, who is responsible?

argue these you slack flogs, lurkers like me arent interested in hearing if Hendo should be in the 1s or 2s, its no big deal either way. go.

who really cares ffs?

he doesnt, then he goes back to the ants and works on his contested marking and other weak points atm.

There are more important issues with our team now. Like how soft our team was on Sunday. So many times they hesitated when entering a contest. Or side stepped to avoid contact. Fumbled because they saw an opponent and panicked.

argue these you slack flogs, lurkers like me arent interested in hearing if Hendo should be in the 1s or 2s, its no big deal either way. go.

Easy Tiger, to some of us on BF Hendo in or out is just as important as 'soft' players or Carrazzo's defensive game. Most debate on here adds up to how we think the team could be better.

Don't continually come into the thread if you're sick of the subject matter,
you know, use your right and make the choice, don't bag the rest of us because we're not talking about something you're interested in.

who really cares ffs?

Even tho I agree it's a non issue thread like you say, indiv personalities are now involved in their point of view and the thead must run its course regardless due to egos. Heck, once i found out egos were involved, i jumped into the thread to ensure my points were heard and that I scored some points before the thread vanished to page 2!

Please research Forum posting 101 and then you will understand a bit more why these threads develop and a required for the good of all and sundry.

The really good point you make on contact/contest is a very good call and far more important than this thread but at the end of the day, who cares because you are some nub lurker :D

You're living in delusion.

Henderson was moved onto Dawes in the 3rd. Dawes took 5 marks on Henderson & had 3 shots for goals (1 he kicked).

He was beaten on the lead & in a contested situation 5 times against Dawes. The difference is Dawes was not a Top 10 pick in his draft & we didn't have to give up our 2nd best player to get him like Carlton with Henderson.

His kick in the 3rd quarter with no pressure & out towards the MCC Flank was Henry Slattery comedy.:thumbsu:
Who asked for your coloured Collingwood report on a Carlton player?

Dawes did his damage on White.

You rated Dawes lower that shit truck Reid, so I guess there's something in that for intelligent Pies fans such as yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawes did his damage on White.

He also did quite a bit of damage on Henderson. There was 1 contested situation in the last where Henderson was non competitive, Dawes held him off with one hand & Henderson couldn't even compete. The kick to the MCC half forward flank with no pressure was schoolboy stuff (probably about 8C level).

There was a reason Voss didn't select Henderson last year when Bradshaw was injured & he rated Merrett as a far superior forward prospect (which is saying something).

You rated Dawes lower that shit truck Reid.

Reid was a bottom aged player (youngest player in the draft) & hadn't a knee reconstruction like Dawes did in 06 (at the time of his knee injury, he was tearing up that wonderful comp in the APS & leading the TAC in contested marks). Great hinesight again, we brained them with Pick 29 in 08 & Pick 28 in 06! Would be your best young KPP on your entire list.:thumbsu:

He also did quite a bit of damage on Henderson. There was 1 contested situation in the last where Henderson was non competitive, Dawes held him off with one hand & Henderson couldn't even compete. The kick to the MCC half forward flank with no pressure was schoolboy stuff (probably about 8C level).

There was a reason Voss didn't select Henderson last year when Bradshaw was injured & he rated Merrett as a far superior forward prospect (which is saying something).
Setanta kicked four on Merrett with Henderson kicking four on Maguire. :)

Henderson set up a goal to Setanta with a long pass of half back that forced Toovey to give away a free.

Henderson has kicked more goals in this third season than Dawes managed in just the four games he played last year.

Austin beat Dawes last year and burnt him on the rebound to kick a goal.

Nothing special like Rocca.

If you watch a contest in the last quarter, Henderson got his fist to the ball, but wasn't big enough to hold off Dawes.

The size will come with time...

As proven by Jamison beating Dawes pointless in a contest at CHB on Sunday and running off him because he has poor recovery.

The only positive thing you can say about Dawes is he has more ability and skill than Cloke.
Reid was a bottom aged player (youngest player in the draft) & hadn't a knee reconstruction like Dawes did in 06 (at the time of his knee injury, he was tearing up that wonderful comp in the APS & leading the TAC in contested marks). Great hinesight again, we brained them with Pick 29 in 08 & Pick 28 in 06! Would be your best young KPP on your entire list.:thumbsu:
Kreuzer beat Brown and Reid pointless in a contest at CHF in the last quarter to set up a goal.

Kreuzer willed himself to the ball, whilst the Collingwood players looked to each other to win the ball and lost possession.

Reid lacks intensity after he was smashed by O'hAilpin in the air and on the ground.

They're not better than Jamison, Austin and Bower.

Collingwood aren't the real deal, Wellingham isn't elite and Beams isn't better than Murphy.

Sorry, your September campaign will end like they do.

The margin flattered Collingwood after Judd was dragged off the ground with four minutes left.

Pies actually look good for the flag right now...emphasis on the now! They are the only team right now playing 100% flat out with no improvement left in the tank!

Malthouse in his greed to look good has cost the magpies by firing em up at the wrong time in the season!

Their list is very good TBH but the Doggies list is better, their coach is better, and their coach funnily enough will have them primed at the RIGHT time!

Going to be great watching the Pies fall away late in the season!

Kreuzer beat Brown and Reid pointless in a contest at CHF in the last quarter to set up a goal..

Kruezer took until deep in last quarter to register his 1st kick. 3 of his fumbles falling forward when he coughed up the ball running forward resulted in direct Collingwood goals.:thumbsu:

Not the best output from your number 1 ruckman.

Wellingham isn't elite

He is superior to Carrazzo & Simpson (i.e. your 3rd best midfielders & vice captains) by quite a margain. When you have Ben Johnson running off your sides marquee player you know you're going nowhere.

Kruezer took until deep in last quarter to register his 1st kick. 3 of his fumbles falling forward when he coughed up the ball running forward resulted in direct Collingwood goals.:thumbsu:

Not the best output from your number 1 ruckman.
:eek::eek:
Jealousy will get you no where. Any of kreuzer's disposal's up to that point had more impact than Jolly's.........who finally got in on the action in the second half of the 4th Q. Another well spent first round pick by the Pies.

Kreuzer made them both look second rate, especially poor old Josh who just couldn't keep up, even when Kreuzer was jogging.

BTW, where were your rucks as he was streaming into F50 time and time again?

Kreuzer is 21 on the weekend, and if a couple of poor decisions re disposal is the best you've got against him......:eek:

At least you now know what a number 1 draft pick ruckman should look like. The excuses of poor old Josh having to carry the ruck from his first year just look soft and pathetic now.

Jealousy will get you no where. Any of kreuzer's disposal's up to that point had more impact than Jolly's.

He coughed up the ball in the 2nd, he was running towards the Fwd 50 & was kind of falling forward, lacking balance, like a number of Carlton attacks in that quarter they were stalled b/c of no target, Kruezer fumbled the ball, Thomas cleared it to Swan, who hit Cloke, who then got Dawes on the fast break. White gave away a 50, goal to Dawes. Not sure that is an example of a great impact for Carlton. He also did the same thing during that quarter & the ball went to Didak who slotted it from the Jolimont HFF.

Not really jealous, if Jolly did likewise I'd be calling for his head.

He coughed up the ball in the 2nd, he was running towards the Fwd 50, like a number of Carlton attacks in that quarter they were stalled b/c of no target, Kruezer fumbled the ball, Thomas cleared it to Swan, who hit Cloke, who then got Dawes on the fast break. White gave away a 50, goal to Dawes. Not sure that is an example of a great impact for Carlton.

Seriously would you piss off.

You lost??? Go back to your own board troll and talk your shit there. All over BF you Troll Carlton why come in here and try to be all diplomatic, this does not hide your trolling ways towards us.

Here is a hint for you..... We dont care what you think.

Remove this Banner Ad

How long can we carry Henderson up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back