How long can we carry Henderson up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by this article, Hendo isn't on the radar. The Three Amigos, on the other hand, appear to be on notice.

BTW, is Hampson a contender for KPF when he's fit? I thought he looked the biz a few times last year.

IMO Betts has been the worst performed out of the 3 considering experience, is he content with his spot??

Dawes couldn't get a game ahead of Cloke or Anthony.

This year Anthony didn't perform and Dawes has his chance and is doing well at keeping his spot ahead of Anthony.

I agree with a 3rd tall, as we need to share the load of Setanta and Hendo as it will allow somebody to be freed up.

Sending Hendo to the 2's isn't the fix needed, we need to persist with him and actually to be honest have better delivery to him (plus he needs to clunk a few as well).

And so it would seem that playing VFL did not hurt him :confused:

And so it would seem that playing VFL did not hurt him :confused:

Of course not, but he wasn't sent their for poor form which is more to the point. He was lower in their pecking order which is different to Hendo.

But in saying that, Dawes and Hendo are very similar in stats over their careers and Dawes IMO wasn't great against us, so i wouldn't have him any further ahead of Hendo apart from size.

Agree to disagree i guess :)

IMO Betts has been the worst performed out of the 3 considering experience, is he content with his spot??
I think he is a postive father figure to them, has extended up the ground well and added plenty of this fwd pressure palaver!

I think he is a postive father figure to them, has extended up the ground well and added plenty of this fwd pressure palaver!

Don't disagree, but looking at the 3 of them only he IMO has been the least effective, again based on experience and expectations.

I for one thnk we should keep all 3 in the team for the whole year.

In recent times (and I hate to say it) but Gumbleton looks the goods (leads well and clunks marks but fades from games) and Hurleys done pretty well as a young KPP.

Gumbleton's got a year and a half on Henderson. Is also an athletic freak with amazing fitness. Will be a star if he stays fit.

I'd suggest Hendo is more hampered by lack of physical development than Gumbleton as he's slower and as such has an opponent breathing down his neck. Henderson gets hands to the ball enough but doesn't have the strength/hands to clunk them just yet.

His resemblance to Kennedy at the same age is pretty uncanny, actually. Very similar types.

Don't disagree, but looking at the 3 of them only he IMO has been the least effective, again based on experience and expectations.

Not if their defensive pressure is going to be called into question. We don't need three new Fevs. It seems pretty clear that there's a strict No Passengers policy being enforced this year... at long last.

As for Fast Eddie, he appears to be wanting to bring his two proteges more into the action at perhaps the expense of his own game. Someone should maybe give him the "lead by example" talk.

Really? Finds more of the footy and has more shots for goal than either. Unfortunately accuracy has let him down (has kicked 11 goals 12) but for mine is the most consistent of the lot.

While Yarran is freakishly skilled, he is prone to go missing as you'd expect from a second year player playing as a HFF/FP.

Really? Finds more of the footy and has more shots for goal than either. Unfortunately accuracy has let him down (has kicked 11 goals 12) but for mine is the most consistent of the lot.

While Yarran is freakishly skilled, he is prone to go missing as you'd expect from a second year player playing as a HFF/FP.
Yeah, his tackling is always good as well but he's added a new dimension to his game with his play as a lead up forward.

Watch the first quarter where Henderson played forward and then tell me he should be dropped.

Yarran got away to hit the woodwork because Henderson smashed a pack from the side and sent O'Brien flying.

And Betts stayed down to get the crumb to Yarran who missed a sitter.

Yarran's first goal came from Henderson's handpass.

When we moved the ball inside fifty quickly which was almost never, Henderson was valuable and contributed.

Henderson then had to move back to take Dawes who suddenly went quiet.

Premature thread of the year.

Almost as bad as Harley flaming Henderson after Setanta's handpass backwards to Lachie who was standing still and under pressure.

I think your expectations of a 20 year old replacement for a Coleman Medallist are far too high.

Watch the first quarter where Henderson played forward and then tell me he should be dropped.

Yarran got away to hit the woodwork because Henderson smashed a pack from the side and sent O'Brien flying.

And Betts stayed down to get the crumb to Yarran who missed a sitter.

Yarran's first goal came from Henderson's handpass.

When we moved the ball inside fifty quickly which was almost never, Henderson was valuable and contributed.

Henderson then had to move back to take Dawes who suddenly went quiet.

Almost as bad as Harley flaming Henderson after Setanta's handpass backwards to Lachie who was standing still and under pressure.

I think your expectations of a 20 year old replacement for a Coleman Medallist are far too high.

Not often this happens TG, but I totally agree. I've just finished watching a replay (had to wait for the sads to pass after seeing it live) and I think there wasn't much wrong with Henderson's game. OK, so the kid's not dominating games yet, but did anyone expect him to?

It'll be interesting to see what the MC do this week, I'd like to see a fit and firing Waite back, but I'm not so sure I'd like to see Henderson dropped now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henderson was a lot stronger on Dawes than White.

Dawes failed to break Lachie's tackle.

Or take a mark one out with Henderson spoiling.

Setanta's free came about due to the pressure from Henderson's long clearing kick off half back put the Pies under pressure.

Supporters will only remember his error deep in their forwardline.

Dawes just pushed White aside because he was just too big.

White didn't really do much wrong, so he has a future as a third tall defender after another few pre-seasons.

Premature?

The season is nearly 1/3 of the way through.

Where he was flatfooted and froze while weighing up options?

There were a lot of bad handpasses that game. Putting team mates under pressure. Yeah it sucked, but Hendo could have done better.

You're the one comparing him to Fevola.

Not me.

Look at what JK has become given an extended run in the 1s. That's all I'm saying.

JK spent most of his first year at the weagles in the WAFL and only played a handful of games.

Then in his second year, he really started to come on and now in his third year, he is starting to really shine.

I think that I said with Hendo, we would only want to play him for about 16-18 games this year so that he can get used to it all and for the rest of the time, sit him in the Ants.

Thought I would bring these two posts up again :thumbsu:

When you look at the teams fielded this weekend, here is the breakdown of age and experience of the teams:

Carlton 23y4m 65.4 games
North Melbourne 23y5m 59.1 games
Richmond 23y7m 64.1 games
West Coast 23y8m 67.1 games
Hawthorn 23y11m 75.9 games
Melbourne 24y2m 74.0 games
Fremantle 24y2m 73.7 games
Collingwood 24y4m 93.0 games
Essendon 24y8m 79.6 games
Brisbane 25y2m 97.2 games
Port Adelaide 25y3m 95.0 games
Sydney 25y11m 104.4 games
Adelaide 26y0m 110.3 games
St Kilda 26y1m 110.7 games
Geelong 26y3m 111.7 games
Bulldogs 26y8m 134.0 games

Collingwood's players have played about 20 more matches than most of the teams with a similar average age.

I really rate Collingwood this year. IMO this shows the benefit of getting games into young players early, of course assuming the punt pays off that these players turn out to be quality regulars.

I concede that in a competition somebody must always be last!

It's been six games and Hendo's contribution has been steadily falling as the season has progressed. Non plussed about his effort down back on the weekend as he was only sent there because White was getting monstered (Dawes still out muscled him at leat once and left him behind on a lead at least once for a goal/point? plus Dawes hasn't earned the tag 'quality' yet).

Its been stated by Ratts he's the future of our forward line so I look at how he goes there.

Unless Ratts has specifically told him to play way up the ground to create space for Irish, betts etc and take his guy out of the game then I would expect our CHF to at least provide an alternative goal kicking target at some stage during the game and should be looking to contirubute on the score board.

And for the sake of clarity this is not about saying he is crap and should play the rest of the year in the two's, but just going back to the Bully's and getting his hands on the ball and some goals on the board.

Hendo has definately polarised posters in terms of 'should he stay or should he go' but whatever happens lets hope he's up to the next clash.:D

Sure but at least caveats brighten the place up. :thumbsu:

paisley-day-cravat.jpg

Its a little sad that we have to place these caveats on any attempt to critique his game.

Indeed. Maybe its because we're not all face to face so tone of voice, body language and facial expressions can't be taken into account, although if we were it would probably rival UFC Wired for entertainment value.

Plus very disappointed you missed 'should he stay or should he go' but whatever happens lets hope he's up to the next clash.:D

Ay, see what I did there.

Remove this Banner Ad

How long can we carry Henderson up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back