How Long Has Mark Thompson Got Down "Sleepy Hollow" ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
When you look at Mark Thompson's record overall at Geelong, it really isn't that impressive. Admittedly they haven't had the greatest list to work with but he has been there long enough to bring in the types of players that he believes will form a winning combination.

When I looked at their list for this year I genuinely thought they would (or should) be a real force in 2004. But alas, they have lost their two opening games and really appear to be on the skids in all facets of the game both on & off the field.

The Cats hierarchy have continually come out and publically reinforced their undying support for Thompson (which normally would see the coach sacked within a month at aother clubs), but unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be that much going on down there.

I guess to be fair, the Cats list does contain a fair share of young guys who have the potential to be very, very good long term players if they reach the levels most people are expecting of them. But the Cats need results now, not next year or in three years time, they need to show they are on the up, not on the slide down. They have perenially been the bridesmaids and just cannot get any consistency from one season to the next.

It begs the question now, is Mark Thompson on borrowed time at Kardinia Park ??

He seems to have made little progress over his tenure and whilst an overall change in club culture might be the best thing for the Cats, you'd have to say that he may not be there in 2005.

There is another school of thought though, and it isn't too way out in principle either. Thompson has been given a lengthy tenure at the club to turn around the onfield efforts for the long term PLUS assist in changing the 'handbag' mentality of the club in general. If that is the case, then Thompson may be a 10 year coach for Geelong because there is no way known that he can change the Cats overall mindset & culture (including the supporter base) in such a short space of time.

Make no mistake, the pussy cats are in real trouble and the coach is generally always the first to feel the heat.

If the pussy cats lose more than they win this year, Mark may well be having a paid holiday.

When you look at Mark Thompson's record overall at Geelong, it really isn't that impressive. Admittedly they haven't had the greatest list to work with but he has been there long enough to bring in the types of players that he believes will form a winning combination.

That's a very simplistic approach.

Thompson has been at the helm for 5 years now, with 85 - 90% of the players being 'his' own. He has had the opportunity to rebuild and gradually move forward, which he has failed miserably at.

The board - Thompson, Cook and Costa - are a tight bunch, and are prepared to give Bomber a go. The problem is, the Geelong Football Club (specifically Thompson) are naive. Thompson honestly believed he had a Premiership team (Or the makings of one) in the off-season and publically humiliated himself with the comments on St Kilda etc... How could he have got it so wrong, i ask myself daily? I cannot answer the question except for to say that he is deluded and a pathetic coach.

The board will not be sacking Thompson in our financial situation, and even if we were 15 million in the black, Costa believes Bomber is the man, thus wouldn't sack him anyway. Bomber is safe from being fired for a few years, but i hope he has the decency to resign.

As they have only just extended his contract to the end of 2005 it's hard to see him going anywhere before then. Either they love him to death and keep trusting that he'll bring the "young team" through to success - or they'll change their mind about that but it will look too silly and Richmondish to admit it publicly so soon after the unnecessary vote of confidence in the contract extension. Maybe after he proves not good enough for Geelong, Adelaide will pick him up?

I am not sure the Cat's can afford to pay Thompson out and pay another coach so I assume he will see out his contract and then move on to somewhere next door to oblivion. I wouldn't judge much on last week given the side Geelong fielded but he has had a fair while and made no progress. The club looked set after some promising 2002 form but delivered nothing in the end and followed 2002 up with more of the same. That to me is the more telling factor.

Originally posted by Zeke
Make no mistake, the pussy cats are in real trouble and the coach is generally always the first to feel the heat.

Not at Geelong.

President Frank Costa said he was "ashamed" and "embarassed" by the players on the weekend, yet when asked about Mark Thompson, he said "he is under no pressure whatsover" and "he is a great young coach".

Whilst Costa is president, Mark Thompson has a job for life and will never be placed under any pressure.

Originally posted by riccardo
1 more 50+ point defeat in the next month will be enough to declare curtains on Thompson, I venture.

He should be gone now, however it simply won't happen.

We could lose the next 6 games by 10 goals apiece, and Thompson wouldn't be sacked.

Frank Costa believes that Thompson is a great coach and lays 100% of the blame at the feet of the players.

Thompson will coach Geelong for as long as Frank Costa is president, sadly.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Not at Geelong.

President Frank Costa said he was "ashamed" and "embarassed" by the players on the weekend, yet when asked about Mark Thompson, he said "he is under no pressure whatsover" and "he is a great young coach".

Whilst Costa is president, Mark Thompson has a job for life and will never be placed under any pressure.

So the question has to be asked: What is Frank doing in the photos that Mark must have?

Originally posted by Zeke
So the question has to be asked: What is Frank doing in the photos that Mark must have?

Their love for either other is sickening. Clearly Mr. Costa is to close to Thompson to be genuinely objective about his coaching ability.

All trolling aside (not you), it's a really sad episode for the GFC's members, because we are totally helpless. We have absolutely no power, which is gut wrenching.

Debts are virtually gone anyway, soooooooo if Costa refuses to budge I suspect a group of disgruntled supporters will get together call an EGM and sack Costa.

Is Costa prepared to lose his job in support of Thompson????? Cos eventually it will come to that if the Pussies continue to play this badly.

MAKE NO MISTAKE

1. Thompson will be sacked by the end of the season if the side continues to preform poorly.

2. Frank Costa will do it, public displays of solidarity now and in the past are there to take the heat off the club but for all intensive purposes we are still a football club and will act like one. So the coach will get sacked.

3. We do have the money to do it. Even the Bulldogs had the money to pay out Terry Wallace.

Originally posted by Cat In A Hat
MAKE NO MISTAKE

1. Thompson will be sacked by the end of the season if the side continues to preform poorly.

2. Frank Costa will do it, public displays of solidarity now and in the past are there to take the heat off the club but for all intensive purposes we are still a football club and will act like one. So the coach will get sacked.

3. We do have the money to do it. Even the Bulldogs had the money to pay out Terry Wallace.

The Bulldogs didn't owe millions and weren't in our position when they had Wallace at their helm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by morgoth
Debts are virtually gone anyway, soooooooo if Costa refuses to budge I suspect a group of disgruntled supporters will get together call an EGM and sack Costa.

Is Costa prepared to lose his job in support of Thompson????? Cos eventually it will come to that if the Pussies continue to play this badly.

I hope you are right, however i'm genuinely worried about the damage done in the meantime.

No doubting Frank Costa loves Geelong, but he is delusional about Thompson, and that means that he is incapable of doing his job appropriately.

Correct, you would have to question whether Costa acting responsibly in re-appointing Thompson before any results.

Would Cook walk if Costa was removed? If you hold him IMO the rest don't matter.

Would Cook walk if Costa was removed? If you hold him IMO the rest don't matter.

The deal has always been that Brian would leave when Frank does (after all, Cook doesn't even have a contract), however word out of Geelong indicates that Cook isn't happy with the direction and wants changes to be made, obviously Costa refuses to accept that.

I hope it's true, because i don't believe Brian Cook is the type to sit on his hands when unhappy.

Originally posted by GeeCat
The Bulldogs didn't owe millions and weren't in our position when they had Wallace at their helm.

1. We don't owe millions of dollars. If your reffering to the debt we have nearly paid it all off and we only owe another 600k i think and that is due to be paid off early next year/late this year. And if your referring to the stadium development Geelong does not owe any money on that or will not owe any money on it. That was one of the great things about it, they didn't have to borrow money to build it.

2. The Bulldogs were finacially ****ed and have been for years. 2003 was Rhode's first full year, so Wallace was sacked in 2002.

As I said in an earlier thread, Cook commented that they have been re-building long enough and success has to come sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't hurt for a bit of turmoil to be introduced at the Cats may give them a bit of killer instinct that they appear to lack.

Wouldn't hurt for a bit of turmoil to be introduced at the Cats may give them a bit of killer instinct that they appear to lack.

Indeed. However Frank Costa, Garry Davidson and a few others have similar views to those of the well known blue rinse set of Geelong fans.

They are vehemently one-eyed, refuse to accept or acknowledge any criticism and love to bury their head in the sand and have a sook when calls for change are made.

Our club will never go forward when he have these types involved.

What i would give to have a lend of Eddie McGuire for 12 months. :(

The two losses this season have supposedly cost Geelong $250,000 in lost membership.It might be cheaper to pay out Bomber's contract if that is true.
Who would Geelong supporters want to replace him ?

Originally posted by Cat In A Hat
1. We don't owe millions of dollars. If your reffering to the debt we have nearly paid it all off and we only owe another 600k i think and that is due to be paid off early next year/late this year. And if your referring to the stadium development Geelong does not owe any money on that or will not owe any money on it. That was one of the great things about it, they didn't have to borrow money to build it.

2. The Bulldogs were finacially ****ed and have been for years. 2003 was Rhode's first full year, so Wallace was sacked in 2002.

Again you have misinterpreted my post. :rolleyes: . Wallace would come with a hefty pay check. If the club is already under some sort of financial block, then would they be prepared to take a risk and pay out Thompson, plus give Wallace his pay. This has already been stated in another thread in the Geelong Board, I think you_idiot was the one to bring this up. When I said the Bullies didn't owe millions of dollars I meant that when they paid out Wallace they didn't owe banks the amounts of money that we do now.

Originally posted by GeeCat
When I said the Bullies didn't owe millions of dollars I meant that when they paid out Wallace they didn't owe banks the amounts of money that we do now.

The Bulldogs in 2002 lost 1.96 million dollars after accepting $1 special assistance from the AFL so really lost 2.96 million.

Bulldogs losses

Actually I think anyone would struggle to tell us when the Bulldogs last made a profit without recieving financial aid? Actually a profit at all?

Originally posted by Barry Schneider

Who would Geelong supporters want to replace him ?

Ideally, Terry Wallace. We need to develop an aggressive side to our game, something Terry is capable of.

At this stage, i'd even be happy to see Ron Watt step up and take control of the seniors.

Lets say Geelong did decide to sack Thompson half way through the year cos we had won less than 2 games for example. Would it be better to wait till the end of year and hopefully lose more games to ensure a priority pick or to get a new coach and win a few games but then consequently miss out on a draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

How Long Has Mark Thompson Got Down "Sleepy Hollow" ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back