How many of you like NRL aswell?

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched it a bit when I was in the ACT and AFL was on at stupid times, cant say it really appealed but would watch it over soccer, that said I would watch NFL in preference to both.

Why would you bother? It's a board full of extremists that noone in the right mind would take with any degree of consideration. I'm sure there are AFL boards that are similar (Bigfooty is generally pretty good, but there is an element of it here too).

LU would be the place for a uni student studying cyber-paranoia at its extreme. The inmates there actually run the asylum.

I just can't get interested in League, except occasionally Origin. That said, I did see the end of a game a cople of years back that was as good as anything I've ever seen in sport. It was tight, and the team in possession were behind and started throwing the ball round. Very different from the pick it up, make one pass, get tackled, repetition that occurs throughout most of the match so often.

Union can be good, when not tied down too many penalties that seemingly come from nowhere.

Soccer at the top flight can be superb. The ball control of some players is truly astounding. It can also be terminally dull when neither side attempts anything. I don't mind the low scoring, its the sitting back and waiting form both teams that gets tedious when it happens (rather like the middle overs of a 50 over cricket match). When two highly skilled sides are out there and at least one is trying to build something, the game can be exciting even if nobody actually manages to score.

RATINGS....

AFL 9.5/10
Test Cricket 9/10
EPL 4/10 (There are better leagues in Europe and Southampton got relegated several seasons ago)
NBA 5/10
Cricket (ODI) 7/10
Cricket (T20) 2/10
NRL 5/10
NFL 4/10
A-League 3/10
NBL 3/10
Union (International) 5/10
Union (Super/Club Rugby) 2/10

I like it. I don't watch heaps of NRL games, but I always watch State of Origin, most weeks I stay up to watch the NRL Footy Show and Matthew Johns Show, and I entered NRL Dream Team this year for the first time (finished approx. 24,000th of 98,000).

I lived in Sydney for many years and followed the game quite closely. I used to live about a ten minute walk away from Nortrh Sydney Oval so ended up going to a lot of the North Sydney Bears games and eventually became a member. However, since they went belly up my interest has wained and now I am far more interested in AFL and Union, played both as a teenager in Melbourne and just Union in London before that.

I always had my St Kilda membership even when living up in Sydney and I became a member of the Waratahs in the Super 12/14s.
Now that I am back in Melbourne I have purchased a Rebels membership for next year so I am on their bandwagon. I will of course keep my St Kilda membership, I have had it since the 80s and don't plan to give it up now.

Hate it. But you get that when your an ex victorian living amoungst the NRL fans. I find the game boring and mono-dimensional, but most of all hate the fans. They are completely ignorant and barely know the game exists.

NRL fans by nature, generally speaking, at least the QLD ones are quite Occa. It makes no sense for them to snob the 'Australian' game in favour of the 'English' game of Rugby.

Are they really that dumb?

Yep

Dumb game
Played by dumb players
Supported by dumb fans

Pretty much read every post on here and noticed something interesting, about every freo fan seemed to hate NRL and would say it's shit or whatever(no suprise being in WA) but it seems alot of carlton members are the ones who also say the game is shithouse. You realise by saying that your being that arrogant NRL fan that all your AFL peers hate so much, and whoever said the amount of shit talked about AFL by NRL people is more then AFL to NRL is spot on. Why no Newcastle fans :p?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't like watching NRL games like season wise but I get into state of origin. I know it doesn't make sense but yeah.

I don't hate it, but don't have any interest in it. I'm a bit of a sports lover, so I'll watch anything if there are no alternatives that I like. Watch bits and pieces of SoO, but that is about it.

Pretty much read every post on here and noticed something interesting, about every freo fan seemed to hate NRL and would say it's shit or whatever(no suprise being in WA) but it seems alot of carlton members are the ones who also say the game is shithouse. You realise by saying that your being that arrogant NRL fan that all your AFL peers hate so much, and whoever said the amount of shit talked about AFL by NRL people is more then AFL to NRL is spot on. Why no Newcastle fans :p?

Sounds like you're a rugby league plant on assignment from LU. You're cover's been blown; go blow a Titan.

Lived in Sin City for two years just prior to Super League which coincided with the death of the Roys. Adopted the Roosters and attended most home games. Always followed the game despite being a Mexican as Dad was a Queenslander and Granny lived adjacent to Lang Park.

Used to follow Valleys in the 80's when Wally was King.

Like the game a lot.

dont hate it: just not that interested. Its:

run 2 meters, get tackled, everything stops, do that rolling thing under your foot, run 2 meters, get tacked, everything stops, repeat 4 more times as you work your way slowly up the field till someone kicks it; theres 3 seconds of contested ball until someone grabs it; and THEN!
roll under your foot, run 2 meters, get tackled, everything stops, roll under your foot, run 2 meters, get tackled, everything stops.

You end up watching the ball creep slowly up and down the field in 4 second episodes. The ball and player movement is tiny compared to Australian rules - I think thats why most people brought up on AR cant quite appreciate it. Theres so little action comparatively. I was searching for an analogy - all I can come up with is that NRL is like watching a guy pumping iron at a gym and getting excited if he drops a barbell now and then - and Australian rules is like watching a guy run a triathalon with pushing and shoving allowed!

Like any sport however, watch it at its highest level and its pretty good: Thats why SOO shits all over NRL club games, and why non NRL types will take in a bit of SOO, likewise EPL and euro soccer leagues make A-League hard to get into. Indiginous sports like Gaelic Football, Hurling, Gridiron benefit from the fact they are the highest forms of the game.

I follow it a bit and have been to a few games because i have some friends who are die-hard fans but it just doesn't have anything on afl at all. Still watching any sport live drinking beer with mates isn't so bad.

Most Aussie Rules fans don't feel threatened by the NRL because we all know the AFL is the bigger more popular code in this country, and the NRL doing well won't change that.

You find in Sydney a lot of NRL fans say they hate the AFL, because they feel threatened by it. It's almost like they "want" to like it but they feel that supporting it will somehow be a negative to the NRL so they can't bring themselves to do it. So pathetic.

I don't mind the NRL. I pretty much like any code of football.

Really?

NRL is a truly shoite sport. Predictable as hell, and played by beefcakes who treat women worse than the Saints (allegedly etc etc). Tiny crowds that get disproportionate amount of coverage because News Ltd. owns it and it's based in Sydney. It's a dying game, and I fugging can't wait for it to hurry up and do so.
Honestly, if I wanted to see a dozen or so overweight rednecks

Hate it, its a dull, repetitive sport played by neanderthals.

Can not stand it.
A mob of undersized Sumo wresters wallowing around in groups and throwing the ball around like a gaggle of women netballers.

Yeah, there's a bit of uninformed hatred either way tbh.

Personally, it's my favourite sport, by a fair margin. No game combines agression intensity and skill like rugby league. The Roosters Tigers game on the weekend was a great example, just a brilliant game, brilliant defence and exciting finish.

If the Bears get let back in in a couple of seasons I will lose my ****ing mind, finally having a proper side to support in my favourite code again.

Not to say I dont like AFL, I do, it's a decent game. Not a patch on rugby league, not in my opinion anyway.

Sounds like you're a rugby league plant on assignment from LU. You're cover's been blown; go blow a Titan.
Um i'm here for AFL you can ask me alot about AFL from this year (since i started following it before that it was NRL) but no your wrong and i havent even said anything bad about AFL just correcting people when they say something stupid about NRL

Living in Qld for 15 yrs and it's a daily struggle to prove to the people how much AFL>NRL in all aspects. But they just dont get it.
Maybe, like how you prefer AFL, they prefer rugby league:eek:God forbid people have a personal preference.

Arrogant numbskull

Really?

Yeah, there's a bit of uninformed hatred either way tbh.

Personally, it's my favourite sport, by a fair margin. No game combines agression intensity and skill like rugby league. The Roosters Tigers game on the weekend was a great example, just a brilliant game, brilliant defence and exciting finish.

If the Bears get let back in in a couple of seasons I will lose my ****ing mind, finally having a proper side to support in my favourite code again.

Not to say I dont like AFL, I do, it's a decent game. Not a patch on rugby league, not in my opinion anyway.
Love NRL but you're kinda out of place to say it's better then AFL on this forum but doesn't bother me but alot of people are going to start raging haha

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you like NRL aswell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back