How many of you like NRL aswell?

Remove this Banner Ad

It comes down to personal opinion mate, and I much prefer rugby league. Im not going to bullshit, I think it's a better sport. And im fine with others not having it as a personal interest.

What I dont appreciate is uninformed bullshit, and there is far too much from the extreme fringes of support of both games. The funniest thing about the extremists is that they cant seem to see they are exactly the same as the fans of the other sport they seem to hate most.

i love AFL cos - its footy.

i follow NFL, Gaelic, Hurling, EPL, RU, and bits of so many other sports.

2 sports i dont follow, dont care about, cant see the point, never have, never will. could not give a stuff about. could stop tomorrow and wouldnt blink.

basketball and rugby league.

i could bore you with the reasons, but others have covered them.

I find it very hard to warm to after being brought up on Aussie rules with its fast and freeflowing style of play.
Dont mind the odd game of league if the ball gets thrown around and the game opens up.
Seems that league needs more skillsets,free thinking play and less repetition.

AFL 10/10
TEST CRICKET 10/10
20/20 CRICKET 9/10
A LEAUGE 7/10
NRL 6/10
UNION 6/10
ODI CRICKET 1/10 (The game is dead)

Seems there are a few here that like NFL. Never really seen a whole game before, but the little I have seen.... i'm not sure what the attraction is. :confused:
Great game, one of my favourite sports but I can see why people think its boring, I used to be one of them. With NFL on FTA these days, i'm sure many people have started watching the game.

As for NRL, used to be one of my fav sports but now it would be about 7-8th in the order of sports I enjoy. Have hardly watched a game in the last 2 years although thats not hard when you live in Adelaide and don't have foxtel. I still watch as many Newcastle games as I can and I'll watch SoO and the footy show. I'm more interseted in American sports and footy / cricket / tennis at the moment, so i've gone off NRL and the EPL although I don't really watch the EPL as i'm sick of the same sides dominating every year. I still follow Leeds, looking forward to the day, they are back in the top flight again.

Been in Sydney a long time now and league is still one of the most pointless boofheaded boring sports imaginable.

Low talent no necked gym junkies replaced all the skills a long time ago. There are some good halves around worth watching but in general its totally boring these days.

The media do their utmost to spruik the silly game and are paranoid about protecting it...they still bullshit about crowds and try to invent new ways to dress up the same junk. Usually this involves getting idiot commentators to simply yell louder and louder in some silly attempt at making it sound exciting.

The game highlights they whack on the news seem more like highlights of screaming commentators with producers controlling volume knobs to them...luckily its easy solved by hitting mute when the RL stuff comes on.

Funniest part is listening to the players...collective IQ of a spanner.

Beauty of Sydney is u can watch or play just about anything...so pointless wasting your time watching contrived media controlled and pokie funded trash like RL.

They still dont take a dump without first asking the news corp board member....and without the daily rag pushing it down necks it was finished as a sport a decade ago when super league irreversibly destroyed it.

Still a haven for the terminally brain dead.

The Test for any sport as to whether you are a true fan or an observer

Would you rather "your team" to win the grand final/championship, or walk down the road and see a $50 note lying in the gutter? If you'd go for the $50 note (as I would with league), you're an observer.

Like others, I don't mind union but it's probably more to do with the international recognition. Couldn't give a hoot about the Super 14 and while my interest may go up a bit with the introduction of the Rebels, I don't think they'll pass the $50 note test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been in Sydney a long time now and league is still one of the most pointless boofheaded boring sports imaginable.

Low talent no necked gym junkies replaced all the skills a long time ago. There are some good halves around worth watching but in general its totally boring these days.

The media do their utmost to spruik the silly game and are paranoid about protecting it...they still bullshit about crowds and try to invent new ways to dress up the same junk. Usually this involves getting idiot commentators to simply yell louder and louder in some silly attempt at making it sound exciting.

The game highlights they whack on the news seem more like highlights of screaming commentators with producers controlling volume knobs to them...luckily its easy solved by hitting mute when the RL stuff comes on.

Beauty of Sydney is u can watch or play just about anything...so pointless wasting your time watching contrived media controlled and pokie funded trash like RL.

They still dont take a dump without first asking the news corp board member....and without the daily rag pushing it down necks it was finished as a sport a decade ago when super league irreversibly destroyed it.

Gold and absolutely spot on. :thumbsu:

I can enjoy rugby league in doses. No chance I'd support the Storm after their cheating ways were exposed.

If I lived in NSW or QLD I'd probably follow/watch it more since the FTA games would be broadcast at a more accessible time.

One thing I like about attending AFL games in Melbourne is the big crowds in big, quality stadiums. Many NRL clubs are still in dumpy suburban grounds, which doesn't appeal to me as a spectator. And when they're in the big stadiums they usually have small crowds anyway. South Sydney playing out of Stadium Australia for instance.

And frankly it's hard to deny the NRL has a bogan culture. The AFL supporter base isn't Mensa but it's certainly better.

State of Origin is its biggest strength but not being from either state it does leave me feeling a bit "Who am I supposed to go for?".

Seems there are a few here that like NFL. Never really seen a whole game before, but the little I have seen.... i'm not sure what the attraction is. :confused:

I used to watch a fair bit of it until I got the hang of it and found out the plays are very conservative and predictable. Don't forgat you're watching the edited highlights . A live game (which I have seen) is very very draw out .
If you complain about time wasting in RU , NFL is not for you .
RL is immediately better RU but then the repetition cuts in .
Used to follow the Roosters but the constant anti-AR thing coming out of Sydney siders turns me off plus a few other things .

AFL
IR
WAFL
Amateurs
AR O/S
SFL
SANFL
QAFL
NTFL
VFL
TFL
CFL
Force
NFL
Roosters

Firstly, I'm mainly a NRL follower first so to see the mix of vitriol,hatred,and anger in a AFL forum is no surprise. I'm sure if you were to post this same thread in regards to AFL on League Unlimited it would get the same type of response.

I find the hatred between the hardcore NRL & AFL fans hilarious because it serves no purpose it's only a sport so we all should just respect each others choices and get over it.

I only got into NRL last year when I moved into Townsville, before that I didn't care about any sport at all. I'm trying to get into AFL every time I could I come up short with one-sided matches that I switch off by the first half. Hopefully Collingwood vs Geelong despite being on delay can prove me wrong.

I like it. Have lived in Qld most of my life and whilst I don' love it, I'll still watch it from time to time. The Origins are particularly good. The problem with it is that it's just far too predictable and monotonous.

I also love watching cricket (though not as much as I did when I was younger) and golf.

Not really a soccer fan, EPL is okay, but the diving and refereeing in the World Cups absolutely destroys the credibility of it as a sport IMO.

Quite like baseball and went to plenty of Blue Jays games when I lived in Toronto. Ice Hockey is also a great sport.

Grid Iron is just too sloooooooooow.

Nothing is as good as Aussie Rules though.

I think your user name is a pretty fitting description of your post

Firstly, I'm mainly a NRL follower first so to see the mix of vitriol,hatred,and anger in a AFL forum is no surprise. I'm sure if you were to post this same thread in regards to AFL on League Unlimited it would get the same type of response.
actually this thread with a couple of exceptions has veered between complimentary to ambivalent of RL, and especially complimentary of SOO. there has only been a couple of true league haters in over 100 posts, and many more people that have liked it than those that hate it.

i doubt the ratio would be anything close at LU.

thats the difference between the two fanbases, the radical, paranoid fringe extends alot further in league, thanks to many years of rivalry and hatred with union, and the tabloid skew of the sydney media.

in AFL circles the attitude to RL is largely ambivalence. we have developed in heartlands where we are the only popular code. this inter-football-code rivalry is kind of new to us.

thats the difference between the two fanbases, the radical, paranoid fringe extends alot further in league, thanks to many years of rivalry and hatred with union, and the tabloid skew of the sydney media.

Sorry, but there's really no hatred of Union in Sydney, or indeed no particular rivalry. One is a sport played mainly by the private schools (and at an amateur level for a long time), the other by the masses. Never really has been either. Just as for the vast majority there is no hatred of AFL either.

As for the tabloid skew, the Herald Sun in Melbourne is no different - they both cater to the markets they exist in.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you like NRL aswell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back