Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raj is going to lose his fifth job because Melbourne's most liveable city tag is under pressure?

LOLSY.

All those other cities that Melbourne is competing with for that tag are also battling the same pandemic.
So it all cancels out.

The real issue is that the pandemic is exposing Melbourne's sordid underbelly of preggers Zoe from Ballarat collaborating with far-right extremists to organise protests.
Hate to be your brain.

The issue isn’t whether it’s a good result proportionate to population. The issue is that if the virus puts a significant number of under 50 people in ICU, letting it rip amongst younger demographics will still not avoid strain on the healthcare system.

Victoria only has a few hundred ICU beds (plus whatever surge capacity they have been able to add in the last few months).

Those fill up extremely quickly with a widespread outbreak. You also have to factor in staff getting sick (causing beds or even whole hospitals having to be shut).

Rural areas are a particular risk of being overwhelmed because they have limited ICU capacity and highly infectious COVID-19 patients are near-impossible to move between facilities when critically ill.

From the attitudes of the young on here, I think they'd be willing to forego being admitted to ICU if they copped a bad case of coronavirus. For the good of the economy, you understand.

Her use of stats didn't support that point at all though. Indeed, making the comparison to flu she pulled a sleight of hand and changed the comparison from being young vs old to disease a vs disease b. Didn't make sense.

To hold the position that we should focus on protecting the old and freeing the young is a valid enough one, but the numbers quoted didn't support that argument well.
You brought up the need to compare to other diseases so I brought up the flu which does actually kill children and young people which we strongly recommend people get vaccinated for and that's it.

We aren't at New York levels of sending positive covid patients back to their old aged homes but we could do more to isolate our elderly so that a third of the population isn't taking up three quarters of the intensive care.

Thus is the most annoying thing for me. All the talk about flattening the curve and buying time to prepare. Seems the prep is lacking. There's still no leadership at any level telling us what the long term strategy is.
There is none.

Welcome to Straya, where our politicians have their eye on the only prize that counts aka reelection.

NSW now having similar issues as we did in March with cluster outbreaks, and small but constant numbers.

Does it eventually balloon out, or did Victoria just s**t the bed and let it run rampant?

From the attitudes of the young on here, I think they'd be willing to forego being admitted to ICU if they copped a bad case of coronavirus. For the good of the economy, you understand.
Have you looked up the ages of each poster before coming to that conclusion?

Without doing so myself, I'd assume it's the younger generation who don't give a shit about the economy because they don't yet know they'll be the ones paying off the huge debt we're building.

I think we're selling off the future of our kids to give our oldies a few more years in aged homes, and it's a shit trade off afaic.

Looks like Unified Security was a phoenix operation. Previous entity which ran the business went down for $4.5 million. You can pretty much guarantee that money represents statutory debts (various tax liabilities and superannuation).
The way things are going we need a royal commission into the security industry.

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Give a uniform and basic training to someone desperate enough to take a little over minimum wage, and you have yourself a security guard.

Anyone who has been to the footy in the past 20 years knows this. Could have a 106 year old who's 20 beers deep at the football and 3 of the security guards would struggle to hold them down.

I think the issue runs deeper, they have outsourced security for airports as well which always seems like a major security risk.

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Give a uniform and basic training to someone desperate enough to take a little over minimum wage, and you have yourself a security guard.

The story I read was that one guy was recruited via a message on Whatsapp then given 10 minutes training before assigned to one of the quarantine hotels.

The judicial inquiry needs to gather such low level data but also ascertain who in government was accountable for the incompetent decisions that have ultimately led to Victoria's massive virus outbreak.

Andrews should just step down, bloke is absolutely 110% a liability. Has set back Australia. Disgraceful. Blood on his hands. No one can tell us where much of these community transmissions come from, and that is to be expected when you do not discourage stupid - nonsensical - protests that have nothing to do with Australia. Plenty of bluster about Dan, but just zero substance. Beneath the surface of everything Andrews has touched, is either corruption or incompetence.

The story I read was that one guy was recruited via a message on Whatsapp then given 10 minutes training before assigned to one of the quarantine hotels.

The judicial inquiry needs to gather such low level data but also ascertain who in government was accountable for the incompetent decisions that have ultimately led to Victoria's massive virus outbreak.

Like many bureaucratic messes, it will be easy to disguise.

Government gave it to a department, who tendered it out, which may have then been subcontracted from the tender winner, leading to John Doe being eligible to become a security guard.

Multi layer approach leading to not one department, or organisation having direct blame, which will suit everyone.

Will be a plethora of recommendations to be made, that will be adopted, but likely not in their intended manner.

Seems to be how most RC's or enquiries are run these days.

Andrews should just step down, bloke is absolutely 110% a liability. Has set back Australia. Disgraceful. Blood on his hands. No one can tell us where much of these community transmissions come from, and that is to be expected when you do not discourage stupid - nonsensical - protests that have nothing to do with Australia. Plenty of bluster about Dan, but just zero substance. Beneath the surface of everything Andrews has touched, is either corruption or incompetence.

Dan steps down now and what happens? The virus doesn't disappear. A lot like your football club, simply sacking a coach or changing leadership isn't going to solve all the issues. It's about making the right decisions at the right time.

This doesn't mean Dan's position is up for grabs in the future, but now would be a stupid time for him to step aside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way things are going we need a royal commission into the security industry.

Well the State Government were in the middle of this review.

Just add that to the list of red lights the Labor Party ran through.

The levels of negligence here are unheard of in the context of the situation and obviously we don’t even know yet whether there is an element of ‘scratch my back’ and ‘jobs for mates’ involved. The trajectory it is headed in suggests that would be likely.

Like many bureaucratic messes, it will be easy to disguise.

Government gave it to a department, who tendered it out, which may have then been subcontracted from the tender winner, leading to John Doe being eligible to become a security guard.

Multi layer approach leading to not one department, or organisation having direct blame, which will suit everyone.

Will be a plethora of recommendations to be made, that will be adopted, but likely not in their intended manner.

Seems to be how most RC's or enquiries are run these days.

The Victorian government absolutely knows who was responsible for this fiasco. The whole point of of the inquiry is to use it to avoid answering questions of ministerial responsibility.

[
While our politicians were focused on fining the law-breakers taking their children out for driving lessons, they forgot to protect those who live in aged care homes. Oops.

Isn’t aged care under federal dept?

Isn’t aged care under federal dept?
I'm not sure. Do you have evidence for the claim?

If so, you should pass the information to Dan so he can spin it in tomorrows press conference. The sheik of tweak needs all the help he can get right now.

If so, you should pass the information to Dan so he can spin it in tomorrows press conference. The sheik of tweak needs all the help he can get right now.
Granted not a completely up to date list but all the current outbreaks are in private aged care facilities.

I'm not sure of the implications. Does that absolve our state and federal politicians of all responsibility?
Yes and no. It's up to DHHS to implement rules, regulations and standards. Every aged care facility is supposed to follow these. But as we know from previous cases the private aged care facilities have been incredibly lax with implementing these.
So really it's both, but the private sector in this particular industry is notorious for doing the wrong thing to the detriment of their residents.

Looks like Unified Security was a phoenix operation. Previous entity which ran the business went down for $4.5 million. You can pretty much guarantee that money represents statutory debts (various tax liabilities and superannuation).

“We have provided a high quality, frontline service to the community for the Hotel Quarantine Program,” the company said.

LOL. They are on drugs

Does the Victorian government have a policy of using a minimum percentage of indigenous suppliers?

As they weren’t an approved provider, I think someone saw an opportunity to scratch someone’s back for a bit of a favor in return.

evidence? It's not an outlandish claim -Aged Care falls under the Dept of Health.
That's why the Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck is commenting on the situation in St Basils and has had to send in teams similar to Sydney's Newmarch house issue.

Its not about spinning the issue. There is enough to be critical about the state govt without lumping fed and private enterprise responsibilities on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back