I see it but I (still) don't believe it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

This game and the 1997 semi final gets my eye twitching like Moe from the Simpsons. Particularly the latter over the former...

The 97 semi final...always that game. I don't like to talk conspiracies but North on a Sunday night then playing in Adelaide. Complete crap. Then there's Grant and that decision. I know we lost Lynch just prior to the finals but that series hurt and I knew that would be it for that era.

The 97 semi final...always that game. I don't like to talk conspiracies but North on a Sunday night then playing in Adelaide. Complete crap. Then there's Grant and that decision. I know we lost Lynch just prior to the finals but that series hurt and I knew that would be it for that era.

Yeah that was that bullshit McIntyre 8 system wasn't it?

This finals system is a lot better.

Yeah that was that bullshit McIntyre 8 system wasn't it?

This finals system is a lot better.
It wasn't perfect, but there was nothing terribly wrong with it either.

We finished second and played seventh. Win that and you get a week off and straight through to the prelim. Easier than it is today.

I can re-watch any game expect the 2008 grand final.

I walked outside and punched the fence. It took a while for my hand to recover, but it was worth it.
I literally wiped the 2008 GF from my memory with alcohol after the event... and also kicked over a letter box and kicked out a fence plank of my mates fence :oops:

That Sydney game you could just see the result coming... I remember my girlfriend at the time came round after work and I said 'we are trying to lose this' ... to which she replied 'i don't think they are actually trying to lose'

Her response didn't help

But my point was we were put on a Sunday night at the MCG against North who ruled that venue at night with an iron fist. Hardly fair. I know the queen of tarts funeral was that weekend but it was a shit arrangement. Only 55,000 was the crowd too.

The 2008 GF was a chance to redeem ourselves against the old foe that had owned us for over two decades ... and we blew it big time.

Banged almost everything in the house that evening.

But my point was we were put on a Sunday night at the MCG against North who ruled that venue at night with an iron fist. Hardly fair. I know the queen of tarts funeral was that weekend but it was a shit arrangement. Only 55,000 was the crowd too.
But that didn't lose Geelong the game. Geelong had already defeated North Melbourne at the MCG under lights that year.

True.

And then that system re-ranked Adelaide above us which is horseshit. From finishing "equal" first- second on % and then being ranked under them and having to go to Adelaide was ridiculous. Hawks would have been playing Adelaide in Adelaide this week instead of the G this week!

I literally wiped the 2008 GF from my memory with alcohol after the event... and also kicked over a letter box and kicked out a fence plank of my mates fence :oops:

Same here, just without the booze. :p

I can't even remember where I was sitting (yet funnily enough remember EXACTLY where I was the other 3 GFs), nothing about the game except two things- Hawks walking it over the ****ing line a million times and me going out to the toilet just before half time to beat the queues. Come back Mum looks like her first born died and told me about the goal Mooney missed.

That is all I can recall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

08 grand final I went straight home from the ground to watch the match I'd recorded at home.
I wanted to know exactly where we lost it.... Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment

And Carey absolutely had a ballburster on a wet night. Kicked seven of eleven goals.

StKilda was the best team in it that year, then we were about a smidgen behind that. Adelaide pretty much the luckiest premiers in history, but I know, they all count.

And Carey absolutely had a ballburster on a wet night. Kicked seven of eleven goals.

StKilda was the best team in it that year, then we were about a smidgen behind that. Adelaide pretty much the luckiest premiers in history, but I know, they all count.

Add in that Bulldogs prelim too. Was there that day.

Gut wrenching it was.

True.

And then that system re-ranked Adelaide above us which is horseshit. From finishing "equal" first- second on % and then being ranked under them and having to go to Adelaide was ridiculous. Hawks would have been playing Adelaide in Adelaide this week instead of the G this week!
Except that the Hawks didn't lose to the seventh-best team, they lost to the second-best team.

The old system was more generous to better teams in terms of providing easier match ups, but more vicious if you didn't take advantage of that benefit.

Except that the Hawks didn't lose to the seventh-best team, they lost to the second-best team.

The old system was more generous to better teams in terms of providing easier match ups, but more vicious if you didn't take advantage of that benefit.
True, but North were a better side than seventh, too. they were just having a flag hangover.

This ****ing thread has burned about 8k in therapy you bastards….. all of you….

GAGF….

I mean I had all this isolated in the garbage bin of my brain…. and now its back… the ulcer and bile swelling in the guts, the headaches, the blurred vision (that may be the grog)…

mongrels…..

GO Catters

Last edited:
I was at this one with my Swans Member wife! There must have been 100 Cats fans at the ground so we stood out like Cats Balls! Our boys gave everything they had so copping it on the way out seemed like the least I could do! I do remember "encouraging" a few of them to sing the song because I was sure the y didn't know it!
You have torn the scab off a sore so I'll have to go home and watch the 2009 flag!

Stand up & fight like Hell!!

So, how about that match against West Coast when we were nine goals up at half time, at home, and lost? Halcyon days!
Was listening to that game on radio at the time and turned it off to go do something else when we were 50 odd points up.

Come back to check the scores in the final quarter...
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

I see it but I (still) don't believe it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back