I think we've found a gem

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly Cale Hooker is going to be a very good player.

He's got some rough edges but some enormous potential. Plays like a cross of Drew Petrie and Adam Goodes.

Could be a real A grader in a few years.

Geez.... Got through ok on Friday night on a bloody good player but Adam Good's?

The three major areas of his game that he needs to work on imo kicking, balance and play reading are three areas that make Goodes a star.

Looks far more physically ready this year which is great and stood up well in the contest on Friday night. Good prospect but a long way to go.

I actually liked Hooker's reactions to being beaten in a contest.
He hated it. He must HATE to lose.
He also didn't back down to Buddy trying to shove him around.
Can't get enough of that attitude.

GO BOMBERS !!!!

I actually liked Hooker's reactions to being beaten in a contest.
He hated it. He must HATE to lose.
He also didn't back down to Buddy trying to shove him around.
Can't get enough of that attitude.

GO BOMBERS !!!!

Yeah I noticed that too. I see the same in Slattery; whether you rate him or not, he hates to be beaten. It's a similar scenario for the rest in Daniher, Hurley, Pears. So impressive. :thumbsu:

Yeah I noticed that too. I see the same in Slattery; whether you rate him or not, he hates to be beaten. It's a similar scenario for the rest in Daniher, Hurley, Pears. So impressive. :thumbsu:

I think that any self respecting backman feels the same, if they dont, they should not be a defender, plain and simple, its not acceptable to not be fussed when beaten. Its good to see it in all of our guys, Dempsey is another one

This is also a mile off topic, but I had to get it in because I just remembered it. Watch the replay when Lloyd took a beautiful grab infront of goal. He was also smack bam in front of Franklin who wondered down that end. The look on Franklin's face when Lloyd showed him how it's done was priceless. Let's just say that Franklin wasn't too happy.

Feel sorry for one of the guys in the back half, when everyone is fit and going, we have as mentioned a plethora of tall options down back,

Hooker 196cm
Ryder 197cm
Hurley 194cm
Pears 190cm
Daniher 191cm

Fletcher 199cm

someone will need to play as a forward possibly? cover the loss of Neagle or Gumby not living up to the hype possbily?

How about the HFFlank or wing for the next two years for Fletch??? He would be an awkward match up and his long kicking from the wing/ HFFlank could be deadly! Give it a go Knighter :thumbsu:

I think that any self respecting backman feels the same, if they dont, they should not be a defender, plain and simple, its not acceptable to not be fussed when beaten. Its good to see it in all of our guys, Dempsey is another one

Agree, but sadly it's not always the case, and there's differing levels of it, too.

Cale actually reminded me a bit of Fletch.
By that I mean he looks quite athletic in that he could play on a taller foward like Franklin or a smaller more athletic foward like a Motlop.
Also, Cale looks like he has long arms and has an ability to get in a spoil at that last moment.
I was pleasantly surprised that he wasn't beaten as comprehensively as I thought on the one-on-one situations.

Also noticed that he seems very handball-a-holic! But that's not exactly a bad thing, because of the way Cale uses the handball. I noticed every time he handballed to a team mate, he would always run on and be there to provide a follow up option for his team mate, if needed. He didn't stand around on the spot and he had that team mentality to help others around him.
I thought that was excellent!

I'll list some of my other big calls so there's proof of them when they come true:

"Years until Tommy Hird: 9"
"Brent Stanton: worthy of #5"
"Jason Laycock will be a gun"

You heard it here first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll list some of my other big calls so there's proof of them when they come true:

"Years until Tommy Hird: 9"
"Brent Stanton: worthy of #5"
"Jason Laycock will be a gun"

You heard it here first.
I'm actually one of the few that agrees with you on Laycock. Definitely needs a kick up the arse, but I think Knights will achieve that.
While we're on the topic, I've been pumping up a certain dominant young defender of ours for over a year:
"Tayte Pears: the next great Full Back"
"Tayte Pears will dominate"

That's right, I called dibs long before Pav, Bradshaw and Roughead were beaten.

Also, one of my very-first signatures was also "Brent Stanton: '09 Brownlow Medallist". While pretty unlikely, it doesn't seem nearly as silly as it did then. :p

I'm actually one of the few that agrees with you on Laycock. Definitely needs a kick up the arse, but I think Knights will achieve that.
While we're on the topic, I've been pumping up a certain dominant young defender of ours for over a year:
"Tayte Pears: the next great Full Back"
"Tayte Pears will dominate"

That's right, I called dibs long before Pav, Bradshaw and Roughead were beaten.

I judge people based on how they rate Laycock. Anyone who can't see his talent and wants him off the list without a decent run at proving himself doesn't have any respect from me.

And Pears, ppshht, that's an easy call. You could tell from the first 15mins of his AFL debut that he was a player. :D

I've always been in support of Dyson. It has been a trying ride, but I still think he can come through this year and be a real player in 2010. If he gets cut from the list I'm putting all my future energy into the underrated Jetta. That kid will be going places once his confidence gets settled. :thumbsu:

I judge people based on how they rate Laycock. Anyone who can't see his talent and wants him off the list without a decent run at proving himself doesn't have any respect from me.

And Pears, ppshht, that's an easy call. You could tell from the first 15mins of his AFL debut that he was a player. :D

I've always been in support of Dyson. It has been a trying ride, but I still think he can come through this year and be a real player in 2010. If he gets cut from the list I'm putting all my future energy into the underrated Jetta. That kid will be going places once his confidence gets settled. :thumbsu:

Laycock has talent but that's not the issue for mine. He's bloody lazy. Even Jimmy Hird says he's lazy at training. He also had a good crack last year in the ruck but rarely had a good game. I don't think he should be delisted at this stage, but I'd keep Hille, Ryder, even Bellchambers before Laycock.

So if Laycock could turn himself around then that'd be great. But the question is will he? The odds are against him turning it around and keeping it around.

I mean, Knights almost traded Lovett despite him being perfectly suited to the former's gameplan because of Lovett's complacency/commitment. If we have 2 solid ruckmen who complement each other, and 2 development ruckmen in Bellchambers and Bock (and from looking at his footage seems to have fantastic tap skills), then Laycock will have to be smashing the doors down to stay in.

I actually really would love Laycock to succeed but it's a fair argument that he won't in the long term. But I do hope he gets another good run in some capacity so we know for sure.

I agree with you on Dyson though.

Just on a side, Bellchambers played just over a quarter on the weekend and had 10 hitouts, 6 possies, 3 marks, and a goal. A few people said he played poorly but I thought he was quite good considering. Maybe he didn't have the tank to stay on the field, but he will only get fitter if that's the case.

I made a comment on SEN (before the season) that we have the best list in terms of structure in the AFL and was laughed off.

As sad as this is, it seems David Schwarz knows where the Dons are at and he is not underestimating our list's potential. Nathan Thompson gave an assessment pre-season and predicted Essendon to finish in the bottom 2 and insinuated that there would be plenty of pain for years to come. I sent in an SMS asking Thompson to name any of Essendon's young players and where they play, that guy has no idea and is stealing a living! :eek:

Obviously we are not there yet but dammit if Hooker doesn't start to make this look brilliant I cant see.

He is tall, agile, quick and most importantly makes good decisions.

Hooker 196cm
Ryder 197cm
Hurley 194cm
Pears 190cm
Daniher 191cm

Fletcher 199cm

That is what I call depth.

NLM 190cm
McPhee 190cm
Myers 190cm

T Slattery 189cm

Remove this Banner Ad