Test India v New Zealand (3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Much deserved win from New Zealand. Well done!

Ravindra looks genuinely elite. Also a good knock from Will Young.

Tell me how this is his wrist. This is a random delivery I just found from a random match. Not even a big one. Some are much worse.

View attachment 2148252

His arm is bent backwards in your photo, and a still shot of him proves, as anyone with an understanding of the rules knows, absolutely nothing. YOU CAN BOWL THE BALL, AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO BOWL THE BALL, WITH A BENT ARM.

End of argument. Deal with it

furthermore you are allowed to bend your elbow (ie decrease the angle between the upper and lower arm) while dliverin the ball, you're not allowed to go from bent to straight.

If Bumrah goes from a straightish angle to a reflex angle during delivery and his arm naturally moves as he releases the ball, then it shouldn't be against the Laws. As Ravi Shastri says he's BORN WITH IT

So 3 day Bunsen pitch for next test?

Dumbest thing they could do. Just makes it a complete lottery again. What happens if they do that and Ajaz Patel skittles them for 100 on the first day?

I ask this every time it gets brought up and no one that I ask it of ever answers: why do that, when you can just produce a normal spinning Indian pitch and let your two all-time great Indian spinners go to work on it. Especially when it’s already backfired a handful of times before

Dumbest thing they could do. Just makes it a complete lottery again. What happens if they do that and Ajaz Patel skittles them for 100 on the first day?

I ask this every time it gets brought up and no one that I ask it of ever answers: why do that, when you can just produce a normal spinning Indian pitch and let your two all-time great Indian spinners go to work on it. Especially when it’s already backfired a handful of times before

Yep, the toss is pretty much the most important thing in India.

All things being equal.

Yep, the toss is pretty much the most important thing in India.

All things being equal.

There have been past iterations of the Indian side where their worst batsman was someone like Saurav Ganguly who was a master of spin bowling. So they could get away with preparing a goat track and more than likely it wouldn’t matter, they would blow the opposition away.
The 80s group they had of Gavaskar, Armanath, Vengsarkar and Azharuddin who could all play spin (though Armanath really made his name away from home): in those days they could legit doctor a wicket and their batsmen were so good at playing spin themselves, and the visiting top 6/7 were generally so inept by comparison that India would be able to handle it.

Nowadays you’d be hard pressed to find an Indian batsman who you could say is a genuinely great player of spin. Peak Kohli was but he’s past that. Sharma played one great innings against it last year against Australia and was again, at his peak, an exceptional player of spin but those days look gone. Pujara probably was but he’s gone. The others are all players raised on t20 cricket and while they look great on a normal average turning Indian wicket against normal average visiting spinners, because they are from India and they DO have at least SOME inherent natural advantage over visiting batsmen, I suspect they would be in a world of hurt (just as visiting batsmen would) if they played on a minefield. Any advantage would be negated.

Whereas if you put them on a just regular ‘this will maybe be flat for a day, give a tiny bit of help to the quicks for a session then do nothing, before spinning more and more as the test goes on’ pitch, Ashwin and Jadeja will get to work, and they will probably win almost every game they play.

We see it in Australia all the time. If Australia wanted to completely waste the advantage they have through great fast bowlers like Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood, they would do what the braindead Fox Sports commenters suggest and ‘juice up the wickets.’

Why??? All that would do would give some of the mediocre visiting attacks a leg up and close the gap between them and the Aussie quicks who, let’s be honest, could take 20 wickets on almost anything when they are bowling well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Test India v New Zealand (3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back