Injury Injuries 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuart Crameri - what a shock, what a disappointment - get yourself right bloke you are a champ and will be sorely missed.
Some have said you will struggle to be best 22 - PIGS ARSE!
I for one would wholeheartedly support a contract extension at this point.

Just to add to my last post:

Crameri hasnt played for 2 years
however he wont be 30 until August 2018
and has a chance to rebuild his body and hit 2018 running
Talk of cutting him or trading him is just absolutely ridiculous
He has 3 top flight years in him because at the critical age (late 20's) when injuries start to linger and games take their toll
he has been sitting it out .
I would take the risk (a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush) and ease his mind on his future ASAP

Just to add to my last post:

Crameri hasnt played for 2 years
however he wont be 30 until August 2018
and has a chance to rebuild his body and hit 2018 running
Talk of cutting him or trading him is just absolutely ridiculous
He has 3 top flight years in him because at the critical age (late 20's) when injuries start to linger and games take their toll
he has been sitting it out .
I would take the risk (a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush) and ease his mind on his future ASAP
I'm with you. He's not totally risk free but this bloke has kicked 30+ goals just about every season he has played. Obviously excepting 2016-17. Not only that but he has a fantastic tank and his hard running contributes to many more goals.

I'd take the chance on him. We will be lucky to have more than one 30-goal player this season.

Let's not be half-hearted. The club either washes their hands of him right now or should make it clear they are 100% behind his recovery and his continued future in the RW&B until at least the end of 2019. Crameri needs to do the same.

I knew somebody would bring up Toyd. Lol. Ok. I forgot Biggs. But let's be honest, a plethora of dud trades litter our trade history.
Yep no doubt - and we largely stopped that once we hired a proper list manager like most other clubs do. Amazing huh? Having someone dedicated to managing the list means we manage the list better.

Although I admit J-Mac may have been behind the push to trade for Lobbe (urgh).

I'm with you. He's not totally risk free but this bloke has kicked 30+ goals just about every season he has played. Obviously excepting 2016-17. Not only that but he has a fantastic tank and his hard running contributes to many more goals.

I'd take the chance on him. We will be lucky to have more than one 30-goal player this season.

Let's not be half-hearted. The club either washes their hands of him right now or should make it clear they are 100% behind his recovery and his continued future in the RW&B until at least the end of 2019. Crameri needs to do the same.
Agree - not sure where he fits in to our structure but we're talking about a guy who has won 4 club goal kicking awards at AFL level. The worry is if we think his hip will hinder him from 2018 onwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, another useless treatment. One day Australia will stop getting ripped off.

https://www.painscience.com/articles/knee-surgery-osteoarthritis.php
This has been echoed recently by a senior surgeon in Sydney. However it's important to note that the quoted article and the Sydney surgeon are talking mostly about debridement in relation to cartilage problems in conjunction with osteoarthritis.

In most youngish sportsmen the situation is different (don't know about Murphy's specifics). That is, they use their knee very differently, and for different purposes, to the average older semi-sedentary types and they don't (yet) suffer from osteoarthritis.

Therefore the indicators for debridement aren't the same.

Not saying it's always appropriate for footballers, but the considerations are quite different.

This has been echoed recently by a senior surgeon in Sydney. However it's important to note that the quoted article and the Sydney surgeon are talking mostly about debridement in relation to cartilage problems in conjunction with osteoarthritis.

In most youngish sportsmen the situation is different (don't know about Murphy's specifics). That is, they use their knee very differently, and for different purposes, to the average older semi-sedentary types and they don't (yet) suffer from osteoarthritis.

Therefore the indicators for debridement aren't the same.

Not saying it's always appropriate for footballers, but the considerations are quite different.

The second linked article talks about meniscus tears...

Quote:

“I personally think the operation should not be mentioned,” he says, adding that in his opinion the studies indicate the pain relief after surgery is a placebo effect. But if a doctor says anything, Dr. Guyatt suggests saying this: “We have randomized clinical trials that produce the highest quality of evidence. They strongly suggest that the procedure is next to useless. If there is any benefit, it is very small and there are downsides, expense and potential complications.”

The second linked article talks about meniscus tears...

Quote:

“I personally think the operation should not be mentioned,” he says, adding that in his opinion the studies indicate the pain relief after surgery is a placebo effect. But if a doctor says anything, Dr. Guyatt suggests saying this: “We have randomized clinical trials that produce the highest quality of evidence. They strongly suggest that the procedure is next to useless. If there is any benefit, it is very small and there are downsides, expense and potential complications.”
Noted. We have personal experience of a meniscus tear but that's in association with osteoarthritis. The surgeon we saw said he could do an arthroscopy if we wanted but he doubted it would provide any benefit and may in fact make it worse, even if executed according to the orthopaedic textbook. So he was quite honest about it and certainly not trying to rip us off.

Even when over-servicing occurs, it may not always be motivated by greed and an intention to rip off the patient. Some practitioners are responding to an expectation in patients that doctors can fix nearly everything and they (the patient) can get instant relief from pain if the doctor does his thing. That is, a patient who comes in with a problem is often looking for an immediate targeted treatment and doesn't want to hear that the best approach is rest and/or a protracted exercise regime over a period of months. (Or the patient might say "I need to play elite level footy but I've now got a 3-4 week window ... can you do something about those painful fragments in my knee?")

Incidentally I have a very level-headed doctor friend who has had such sport-related arthroscopy twice despite knowing all the evidence we're talking about here. I think it just depends on the medical circumstances and lifestyle aims of the particular patient.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Injuries 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back