Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

After Lobb, now Khamis…the AFL world is not prepared for the Daniel Pratt-inspired Ryan “Silvagni” Gardner.

Tik Tok Stare GIF

James Harmes, Kelsey Rypstra and Ryan Gardner are all a chance to return to football this weekend after lengthy layoffs.

Rypstra and Harmes suffered hamstring injuries a month ago and need to get through main training before determining their availability.

Both James and Kelsey are in the finals stages of their rehabilitation following their hamstring injuries,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.
“Both players have completed a match parameters training session on the weekend, and if they come through main training this week like I expect, both will return to availability.”

Gardner has missed almost three months with a wrist injury, adding valuable experience to the backline group.

“Ryan has been incredibly diligent in the recovery following the surgery that repaired a damaged ligament in his wrist,” Bell said.

“He still has some final boxes to tick for us across this week, but we are optimistic that he will be pulling on the jumper this weekend after missing the last 11 weeks.”

Injury List - Round 22

Ryan Gardner (wrist) – test
James Harmes (hamstring) – test
Kelsey Rypstra (hamstring) – test
Jordan Croft (thigh) – 3-4 weeks
Jason Johannisen (calf) – 3-5 weeks
Anthony Scott (concussion) - 2-3 weeks
Bailey Smith (ACL) – season
By my understanding, Gardner could get back to Footscray, play the last few rounds but be excluded from finals? B#llsh#t system.

I believe the rule is if the seniors are in finals he can play anyway
Yep, these VFL rules are only if the AFL team is not playing finals at the same time.

If they are you just pick whatever team you want.

Do people forget Cyril Rioli's cameo in the 2014 VFL Grand Final for example?

Yep, these VFL rules are only if the AFL team is not playing finals at the same time.

If they are you just pick whatever team you want.
That's my understanding too but who knows with the AFL (& VFL)?
Do people forget Cyril Rioli's cameo in the 2014 VFL Grand Final for example?
LOL, in AFL terms that was about 3 generations of illogical unresearched knee-jerk rule changes ago. They even allowed third man up back in those days. Who knows what the eligibility rule might be today.

Dog save us from the AFL's back room boys coming up with any more bright ideas. :think:💡

That's my understanding too but who knows with the AFL (& VFL)?

LOL, in AFL terms that was about 3 generations of illogical unresearched knee-jerk rule changes ago. They even allowed third man up back in those days. Who knows what the eligibility rule might be today.

Dog save us from the AFL's back room boys coming up with any more bright ideas. :think:💡
Nothing like 3-4 mid season rule changes where most viewers flip a coin on which way a particular ‘tackle-related’ decision is going, and then 5 seconds of commentary silence because the commentator’s know it’s bu**shit (Richo is always good for this). However, the commentators knows who pays them. The silence is deafening.

Mick Warner - ‘The Boys Club’, great book (notice he has gone off the map). Our game is dodgy as f**k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs will be without Tim English for their Round 23 clash against the Kangaroos on Sunday afternoon.

Having suffered an ankle injury on the weekend, scans have confirmed a moderate grade injury.

“Scans have confirmed that he has a moderate grade ligament injury,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“Tim won’t play this week, and we will work through a process across the next seven days to determine his return to play plan.”
In positive news, Anthony Scott will return to the field after exiting concussion protocols.

“Anthony Scott has been in a concussion management model after suffering a concussion two weeks ago,” Bell said.

“He still needs to tick some boxes for us across this week, but if he gets through main training like I expect, he will return to availability. “

Medical Room - Round 23​

PRESENTED BY​

Deep Heat

44. Tim English
44. Tim English

Injury: Ankle
Est. Return: TBC
28. Anthony Scott
28. Anthony Scott

Injury: Concussion
Est. Return: Test
39. [PLAYERCARD]Jason Johannisen[/PLAYERCARD]
Jason Johannisen

Injury: Calf
Est. Return: 1-2 weeks
16. Jordan Croft
16. Jordan Croft

Injury: Thigh
Est. Return: 3-4 weeks
6. [PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD]
Bailey Smith

Injury: ACL
Est. Return: Indefinite

Tim's home & away season will likely be done with a moderate grade ankle injury. They are better off putting him through a process to be ready for the first week of the finals in just under 4 weeks time.

Of course if we're required to win in round 24 then he may be rushed back early.

I think he plays VFL next week and during the pre finals Bye as preparation for finals.
Would he qualify for VFL in the AFLpre-finals bye? I wouldn't have thought so.

I think JJ would be eligible because he hasn't played at AFL level since July 1 - that used to be the rule at least (alternatively, to have played a minimum of 6 VFL games and max 12 AFL games throughout the season which I don't think he qualifies for).

In order to be eligible, each player must have played at least one AFL, VFL or Development game in 2019. If they have played an AFL home and away match after the 1st of July, they must have played at least six VFL games during the season to remain eligible. https://boxhillhawks.com.au/vfl-finals-eligibility/ (I don't think it's changed since)

The Western Bulldogs will be without small forward Rhylee West for their clash with GWS on Sunday after suffering a broken jaw last week.

While West was tactically subbed initially, scans have revealed damage.

“In the third quarter of the game during a marking content, Rhylee West receive some contact to his jaw from an opposition knee,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

“This impact has caused a crack in his jawbone. The injury has required some surgery to stabilise the fracture that was completed yesterday.

“Rhylee won’t play this week, and I will be in a position to be able to confirm his rehab timeline across the next 10 days.”

Mid-season draftee Kelsey Rypstra won’t play again in 2024 after suffering a hamstring injury.

“During an acceleration effort in the second quarter of the VFL game, Kelsey suffered a high-grade hamstring injury,” Bell said.

“With the limited amount of games left this season, unfortunately this will end his 2024 campaign.”

Tim English remains an outside chance to face the Giants in the final home-and-away game this season, recovering from an ankle injury.

“Tim continues to recover from his ankle injury in line with our expectation,” Bell said.

“He is being incredibly diligent and professional to do everything possible to put himself in the frame for selection.

Although he is still more unlikely than likely for this weekend, we will give him every opportunity to prove his fitness and decide on his availability following our main training session on Friday.

Medical Room - Round 24​

PRESENTED BY​

Deep Heat

44. Tim English
44. Tim English

Injury: Ankle
Est. Return: Test
39. [PLAYERCARD]Jason Johannisen[/PLAYERCARD]
Jason Johannisen

Injury: Calf
14. [PLAYERCARD]Rhylee West[/PLAYERCARD]
Rhylee West

Injury: Jaw
16. Jordan Croft
16. Jordan Croft

Injury: Thigh
Est. Return: 3-4 weeks
41. Kelsey Rypstra
41. Kelsey Rypstra

Injury: Hamstring
Est. Return: Season
6. [PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD]
Bailey Smith

Injury: ACL
Est. Return: Season

It was a massive contest and he obviously took some contact, as he took a moment just to compose himself as to what had just happened.

That’s a big blow as he provides some mongrel in the F50, so may need to play Garcia through there a bit more.

It was a massive contest and he obviously took some contact, as he took a moment just to compose himself as to what had just happened.

That’s a big blow as he provides some mongrel in the F50, so may need to play Garcia through there a bit more.
Yep and West has played some very good football against GWS in the past including making Himmelberg his absolute bitch. I agree Garcia should probably take that spot but wouldn’t mind Harmes coming into that role without needing to drop VDM or McNeil.

Last edited:
Mid-season draftee Kelsey Rypstra won’t play again in 2024 after suffering a hamstring injury.

“During an acceleration effort in the second quarter of the VFL game, Kelsey suffered a high-grade hamstring injury,” Bell said.
I wonder if Rypstra had soft tissue injuries as a junior or only since coming to us. Would be interested to know if his 2 hamstrings are just seen as bad luck or a problem for his type of player stepping into an AFL environment mid season with a proper pre season under his belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back