News Insightful and Inciteful - 2022 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's ask 2 rival players from Victorian clubs what they think about a West Coast player. How about a follow up question to jack if he thinks Cotchin should have been playing in the 2017.

Fox Footy just gone with the 7 twitter posts in 24 hours contesting Rioli decision. You think they do that if it's a Vic club? Ridiculous.

Let's ask 2 rival players from Victorian clubs what they think about a West Coast player. How about a follow up question to jack if he thinks Cotchin should have been playing in the 2017.

Fox Footy just gone with the 7 twitter posts in 24 hours contesting Rioli decision. You think they do that if it's a Vic club? Ridiculous.

Haha I like Riewoldt's comments about doing the pub test on the way into the studio. Who would have thought a bunch of vics would think he should be suspended...

Just weird vibes from fox footy in general

• they have referred to our game as a 'famous win' for the suns a couple of times...wasn't it just the favourite getting up against an undermanned opposition?
  • they put us 17th in their 'power rankings' table, behind essendon in 10th, who got absolutely spanked, and richmond in 9th, who lost to carlton for the first time in quite a while
  • gave us a 'D' on the round report card

While i'm as pessimistic as anyone about our upcoming season, I actually thought we were fine all things considered on the weekend? am i just being a salty WA #VICBIAS fan here?

• they have referred to our game as a 'famous win' for the suns a couple of times...wasn't it just the favourite getting up against an undermanned opposition?
  • they put us 17th in their 'power rankings' table, behind essendon in 10th, who got absolutely spanked, and richmond in 9th, who lost to carlton for the first time in quite a while

While i'm as pessimistic as anyone about our upcoming season, I actually thought we were fine all things considered on the weekend? am i just being a salty WA #VICBIAS fan here?

Now labelling us as weak and desperate. This Vicprick bias is just raging out of control now. It's getting to the stage where can't stand any of them; there's not one reasonable, moderate voice amongst them. It's just open slather against WCE. From Caroline, to Lyon, to Damien Barrett - it's ridiculous. Inexplicably, they must be worried about us.

Surely we were a solid C or even C+ on the weekend.

We fielded clearly the worst AFL team to run out (for anyone) in quite a while (based on output, not potential), and were in the game against a team made up almost exclusively of top-end talent for 3 quarters. Also found a number of potential AFL quality players in JJ (I was already on the bandwagon), Hough and Naish/Dixon.

If we'd won it would have been a performance worthy of an A or A- at worst, so no way it was a D.

As if any of them would’ve even watched our game. They would’ve just looked at GC vs WC in Perth, GC never won over there, headline writes itself. I assume Priddis was amongst our best?

They didn't even bother doing the season opener of The Bounce (just for clarification I don't watch that heap of shit) coz our game finished too late.

As if any of them would’ve even watched our game. They would’ve just looked at GC vs WC in Perth, GC never won over there, headline writes itself. I assume Priddis was amongst our best?

They’ve put about as much analysis into the Rioli decision i reckon. Gerard Whateley going on about how the jury got it so wrong … maybe it’s because they bothered to look at the other camera angle, Gerard? The one that clearly shows him going for a mark? I’m guessing you’re probably going off the still images.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the Fox pile-on with Willie I thought this article was highly relative. Given the number of us refusing to watch those shows I wonder if things will ever change.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting read. I’ve noticed a real difference though between the panel shows, which tend to be exactly as Rohan describes, and the actual game broadcasts which are at least starting to bring in some more diverse voices.

I used to watch 360 and on the couch fairly regularly but don’t anymore - mostly because I’m busy with family commitments - and I’m enjoying watching the footy a lot more because of it.

Fools - their derision just fuels our power.

If 2018 is anything to go by, we've done the first step by losing by 27 points in Round One and the Vics writing off or chances. Next is to smash North by 10 goals and go on a 10 game winning streak.

If you’re going to consume footy content from biased no-nothing idiots with clear agendas, why not listen to people who proudly wear their biases on their sleeves and have the same biases as you?

Oh boy

See below

The AFL regularly uses cooperative journos to float ideas that might be controversial to either gauge the level of support/outrage before proceeding or to soften up the public to a new measure that doesn’t go as far as originally proposed so it looks like they’ve listened

Prove me wrong

Oh boy

Russian Oligarchs going to need some new sports toys and an AFL club is probably more on budget after the dust settles from Ukraine.

The scary part is I'm only partially joking. The decision making at AFL house is clearly based on cocaine and whiskey luncheon chatter.

If they’re sick of hemorrhaging money with the Suns I know of a businessman up on the Gold Coast with a heap of cash who likes to buy expensive stupid things.

But then they wouldn’t be allowed into WA

Given the Fox pile-on with Willie I thought this article was highly relative. Given the number of us refusing to watch those shows I wonder if things will ever change.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree. Connolly is 98% right. But when talks of complaints about 'the old boys club' he says

They’re coming in from women, who feel like they’ve been put in this position for decades no matter how much they love the game. They’re coming in from people from ethnic backgrounds, who haven’t had the benefit of an upbringing schooled in this very white, very male, very entitled culture.

But there is one extra category that he missed (because he is a part of it) and that is the huge number of supporters that don't live in Victoria. Those for whom the lazy ignorant term 'interstate' isn't the same as non-Vic.

(BTW, be interested to know the number of non-Vic footy supporters compared to those in Vic. Or even the membership comparisons. We always hear that Vic is the centre, not only for self-imposed and historical reasons, but that the big $$ are in Vic - and they're definitely the biggest - but more than all the non-Vic states put together? Interesting to know.)

5. No excuse for TV commentary cost-cutting anymore​

2020’s COVID pandemic, and the state border closures that ensued, forced TV and radio stations to think outside the box – literally.

For the first time, commentators were forced to call the game off screens in studios half a country away from the action, in so doing losing the feel and vibe of the game only possible to get a sense of live.

Veteran commentator Gerard Whateley spoke to Ashley Browne in his book, AFL 2020: A season like no other, describing the situation as ‘unfulfilling’.

“You were hostage to what was on screen,” Whateley said.

“If it wasn’t on screen you couldn’t call it, you couldn’t pre-empt it, and there was less to work with. It was unfulfilling to be honest.”

Yet two years on, and with no border closures to speak of, Fox Footy look to be regularly choosing to broadcast games with a commentary team based in a Melbourne studio – and it stinks.

It was most apparent in Adelaide’s clash with Fremantle on Sunday afternoon. Say what you will about Kelli Underwood’s commentary, but not even Dennis Cometti could have dealt with that situation and produced his best work. Little wonder Michael Frederick’s wonder goal wasn’t given a call to match.

I can understand the penny-pinching, given the world – and presumably Fox too – are still recovering from the financial hit of the pandemic. But you can’t tell me there aren’t a group of South Australia-based commentators free and willing to step in.

Equally, if Channel Seven can send a full team up to Brisbane to cover their game – and as a side note, Alistair Nicholson made an excellent debut as a TV AFL caller on Saturday night – then the onus is on Fox to do likewise.

To stick with what is currently being served up is an insult to fans of interstate clubs, who deserve to have their games brought to them with the same quality and devotion to coverage as Melbourne fans get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back