News Insightful and Inciteful - 2022 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun
·
11m

Revealed. The AFL offer to hub Perth-based teams in Melbourne and fly them in for Perth Stadium games as covid spreads quickly into WA. At this stage clubs hope it won’t be needed but it’s on the table. Plus the details on Pies, Hawks, Eagles covid dramas https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/round-1-injury-and-selection-news-stay-up-to-date-with-every-club/news-story/347af2c66440c7b522278c93beaf8df5

I really fail to understand why?

Victorias cases are going back up to around 9k.

PLUS NSW are in a big outbreak of 30k today...so why would we need to hub?

There are no boarders?
I think it has more to do with how close contacts are required to isolate in WA but dont have to in other states.

I can actually see the club taking up such an offer. Sucks having to fly in for home games but we're not doing shit this season anyway.

edit: actually if we're not doing shit this year we may as well stay in Perth and deal with missing players when need be.

The theory behind it seems sound but unless a whole team was wiped out there isn't much point atm. Would make It near impossible for the top ups also to train with the team if required also due to work etc.
There is also the issue with close contact rules where national cabinet have decided to amend these however its unlikely to happen straight away in WA....

I think it has more to do with how close contacts are required to isolate in WA but dont have to in other states.

I can actually see the club taking up such an offer. Sucks having to fly in for home games but we're not doing sh*t this season anyway.

edit: actually if we're not doing sh*t this year we may as well stay in Perth and deal with missing players when need be.
I suspect this is spot on. Far less restrictive

That was a rambling mess of an article from Cornes. The premise is fine, I don’t think anyone disputes that we are going to be going through a heavy transition period/rebuild. But the captaincy one was a bit of a head scratcher. Sheed hasn’t ever been talked of as a leader has he? If going for the “youngster” taking over as skipper, surely Oscar Allen or Liam Duggan would be more appropriate?

As for Caroline, well I have time for her general, but I seriously don’t get the COVID comments. Unless she has some evidence of us (WCE) not adhering to protocols etc. then I would say those comments are baseless and ridiculous.
The idea that Shuey is too fragile to be captain has merit though and what is scary is the lack of captaincy contenders in our below 26 cohort. That's a glaring problem with our list right there. He was also right about the big money contracts for Gaff, McGovern and Kelly. The opportunity cost of those aquisitions has been enormous.

The idea that Shuey is too fragile to be captain has merit though and what is scary is the lack of captaincy contenders in our below 26 cohort. That's a glaring problem with our list right there. He was also right about the big money contracts for Gaff, McGovern and Kelly. The opportunity cost of those aquisitions has been enormous.

Allen and Duggan are more than adequate captaincy candidates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney fans will be hoping their young side takes the next step this year, but in the short term, they’ll be hoping Buddy can notch up 1000 career goals.

He’s currently sitting on 995 goals, an astounding achievement in the modern era.

The game has changed significantly during Franklin’s career, with numerous rule changes introduced to improve scoring, which have instead reduced scoring.

Imagine your job was to achieve a specific outcome, and you managed to achieve the polar opposite result, and you not only got to keep your job but tell everyone you were pleased with how it worked out! That must be nice.

I am well aware you are in sky is falling mode. We didn’t acquire McGovern and Gaff, we re-signed them and there wasn’t too many on here who disagreed with that. We paid for Kelly, somewhat overs but once again, the general consensus was that it needed to be done.

As mentioned above, Allen and Duggan are definite candidates for captaincy. As we refresh and rebuild the list, there is sure to be some young players who as they develop have potential to be leaders.
Cheer up. It’s not all bad!

I am well aware you are in sky is falling mode. We didn’t acquire McGovern and Gaff, we re-signed them and there wasn’t too many on here who disagreed with that. We paid for Kelly, somewhat overs but once again, the general consensus was that it needed to be done.

As mentioned above, Allen and Duggan are definite candidates for captaincy. As we refresh and rebuild the list, there is sure to be some young players who as they develop have potential to be leaders.
Is what it is. On paper we still have an outstanding best 22, it's just that the list quality falls away quickly and unfortunately too many of our best team are already nearly 30. We also have big money tied up in a couple of players not performing. Of the young talent coming through Duggan is a good average player at best and Allen is fragile.

The AFL regularly uses cooperative journos to float ideas that might be controversial to either gauge the level of support/outrage before proceeding or to soften up the public to a new measure that doesn’t go as far as originally proposed so it looks like they’ve listened

Prove me wrong

Wilson is a common proxy for the AFL to get their thoughts across to clubs without saying it directly. It's hilariously passive aggressive.

Here she has a stupid crack and the next day we get some ridiculous FIFO proposal in public from the AFL, it's like clockwork.

It's now somehow our fault, instead of what it really is, a shitty situation that is massively unfair on the WA teams but the AFL doesn't want to impact the other clubs or the fixture.

Who was it that said, 'It's never as good as it seems, not as bad as it looks.'? Was it MM?

Not taking Covid seriously is the new ‘whinging about hubs’*

*whinging = asking how long you may have to hub for when you are among the first clubs to do so and have no Covid in your home state.

You just gotta hope this ‘pile on’ the club is copping can galvanise the group a bit…(it won’t but you gotta hope it will right? 😅) - at least enough to avoid being 7 goals down at quarter time on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back