Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point. In the modern era, we've had three absolute champions come from the rookie list.

We also got some steals when the draft was new and clubs were figuring out how it worked. I think Dean Kemp was around pick 100.

And Brett Heady too - another absolute steal if IIRC.

We were fortunate to have a gun WA under-18 team at a time when the Victorian approach to recruiting from WA was just to pick the best WAFL players each year. I don't think they did any real junior scouting in WA.

We were fortunate to have a gun WA under-18 team at a time when the Victorian approach to recruiting from WA was just to pick the best WAFL players each year. I don't think they did any real junior scouting in WA.
The Eagles also sent Kemp bush so no-one would see him (Kemp confirmed this in an interview as recently as a couple of weeks ago) - think they did with a few others too. You could get away with those things back then.

A little bit of praise from a former Fremantle coach for the best play of all time:

Neesham said Jeremy McGovern’s contested mark in defence in the 2018 AFL Grand Final that led to a chain of play ending in Dom Sheed’s premiership winning goal was so incredible because of all the decisions that McGovern had to make in a split second.

“I think nearly the greatest piece of play I’ve seen in AFL football was Jeremy McGovern,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“When he took that mark in the dying minutes of the Grand Final, he had already worked out that he had to play on even if he marked it and he’d already worked out who he was kicking it to because the guy had limited space.

“And he nailed the next kick which allowed the passage of play to get to the other end.

“If he went up and spoiled it, it’s every chance his opponent is going to get the ball over the back.
“Taking possession in the back and moving the ball quickly away from the crowd.”

A little bit of praise from a former Fremantle coach for the best play of all time:

Neesham said Jeremy McGovern’s contested mark in defence in the 2018 AFL Grand Final that led to a chain of play ending in Dom Sheed’s premiership winning goal was so incredible because of all the decisions that McGovern had to make in a split second.

“I think nearly the greatest piece of play I’ve seen in AFL football was Jeremy McGovern,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“When he took that mark in the dying minutes of the Grand Final, he had already worked out that he had to play on even if he marked it and he’d already worked out who he was kicking it to because the guy had limited space.

“And he nailed the next kick which allowed the passage of play to get to the other end.

“If he went up and spoiled it, it’s every chance his opponent is going to get the ball over the back.
“Taking possession in the back and moving the ball quickly away from the crowd.”

Nearly the greatest? WTF was the greatest then?

Maybe that time Woosha ran through everyone in the first derby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has never been a more perfect play in footy. Behind in a game so you must take the game on.
4 marks, two contested of which Ryan and McGovern came from no where.
4 different kicks - McGovern’s hit up and one of the most beautiful set shots ever.

Maybe the miracle on grass could be classified as better as it was after the siren?? But it didn’t have the marks

There has never been a more perfect play in footy. Behind in a game so you must take the game on.
4 different kicks - McGovern’s hit up and one of the most beautiful set shots ever.

Maybe the miracle on grass could be classified as better as it was after the siren?? But it didn’t have the marks
Miracle on grass was a dead rubber home and away game. It is not even in the same league as a final, yet alone a grand final.

It was the greatest play in the greatest game OF ALL TIME.

Re-watched it recently. It's amazing we ended up 5 goals down, we really weren't playing that badly, Collingwood just scored a goal after every little mistake we made. Then the start of the last quarter slamming on two quick goals WTF.

Re-watched it recently. It's amazing we ended up 5 goals down, we really weren't playing that badly, Collingwood just scored a goal after every little mistake we made. Then the start of the last quarter slamming on two quick goals WTF.
This is why I hate reduced quarters. Collingwood played out of their skin and threw their absolute best at us, we were clearly the better team though and managed to grind them down over the whole match. With reduced quarters these sorts of things are far less likely.

Agreed but I’m just talking as a play. Pressure on the McGovern play is immense.

FWIW McGovern’s Mark is underrated as a mark

All the little stories in the play too:

• Gov in hospital for a couple of nights after the Prelim, and was no certainty to play. I believe Oscar Allen was ready to step in if Gov didn't recover.
  • Vardy only in the team due to Nic Nat's injury, after an injury-wrecked career of his own at Geelong
  • Flyin' Ryan's first game at the 'G. Mature age recruit. Criticised for his efforts in the third, two posters in the last, Jetta's leadership at three-quarter time
  • Sheed only in the team because of Gaff's suspension. Was dropped twice during the year. Then that kick.

I've heard Simpson say both Ryan and Sheed should have been on the bench during that play too, but couldn't get off. You campaigners know what happened next.

Those two goals, that was a really awful feeling when they got the second

- Masten tactic of holding the ball to be the last player holding the ball in a tackle at the last second.
- Darling having a stinker early but flexed his influence during the 3rd.
- Ditto Yeo.
- JK kicking important goals to gain momentum and it was good to see him finishing with 3.
- Barrass battle with the big American.

This is why I hate reduced quarters. Collingwood played out of their skin and threw their absolute best at us, we were clearly the better team though and managed to grind them down over the whole match. With reduced quarters these sorts of things are far less likely.

I know we kicked at least 1, if not 2 goals in the last 3 minutes of the first quarter - and obviously Sheed's at the end in the 4th. I feel like maybe we got one late in the 2nd as well?

Collingwood took their chances early - and we blew quite a few in the last quarter. We certainly outplayed them in most areas - but it is the scoreboard that counts (thankfully we got that on our side in the end! It took a few years off my life being at the game, but worth it!)

Those two goals, that was a really awful feeling when they got the second

Yep, I let out a big f**k you Collingwood, and thought we were gone, again, having used up all our petrol tickets making up the 5 goal deficit.
Our 2018 premiers will go into the history books as one of the most resilient teams ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back