Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Grand Final to be played at the Gabba

Brisbane have been handed the red carpet to a flag.
Yeah I know it’s crazy hey! Oh well maybe a Victorian team will get a year where they barely leave their state, play almost all their games at home and get to play the grand final on their home ground. Then again we may never see such crazy circumstances as this year again, so maybe not.

Yeah I know it’s crazy hey! Oh well maybe a Victorian team will get a year where they barely leave their state, play almost all their games at home and get to play the grand final on their home ground. Then again we may never see such crazy circumstances as this year again, so maybe not.
2019 richmond bullshit.png
Do you mean a bit like this?

If Brisbane do win a flag at the Gabba there will be an up roar from the other interstate sides to play the GF in their home state imo.

Oh my god! Are you seriously saying this has happened before? Has everyone else on bigfooty been notified?
i
I know this is terrible someone should tell Gill!!!! It's almost like big Victorian clubs seem to get a pretty good ride from the fixture, particularly around the MCG?

I can’t speak for other Vic teams but Melbourne, North and Hawthorn typically travel 7 or 8 times a year.
That’s about 5 or 6 times more than Brisbane are travelling this year.

It’s a flag of bust for Brisbane this year.

I can’t speak for other Vic teams but Melbourne, North and Hawthorn typically travel 7 or 8 times a year.

It’s a flag of bust for Brisbane this year.
Is it flag or bust for Richmond & Collingwood, every single season? Because that's essentially the same criteria.

I honestly cannot wait for this to be over, so that we go back to being at a disadvantage, so everyone in VIC is happy with their own advantages again. That's the hardcore truth of it. The Victorian teams want their slight advantage back, and they will of course. Forever.

EDIT: Also, while WC & Port are obviously unhappy with the Grand Final location. Their fans shouldn't really be too up and arms against us, considering they've had the fortune of playing a large portion of games at home anyway. I believe it's like 2 less games than us by the end of the season. Not only that, when it's all said and done, they'll be in the same boat once again with us against the Victorian advantage.

Put it this way.

If West Coast had all their remaining matches in Perth, had only two genuine away games all season, it wouldn't be a question of whether they win the premiership but how much they win it by.

Brisbane still a long way behind other contenders in the betting despite being the only home team.

If Brisbane do win a flag at the Gabba there will be an up roar from the other interstate sides to play the GF in their home state imo.
Or, you know, they’ll realise that there was this thing called Covid this year that apparently has impacted a couple of things and understand that the Gabba was easily the most sensible option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put it this way.

If West Coast had all their remaining matches in Perth, had only two genuine away games all season, it wouldn't be a question of whether they win the premiership but how much they win it by.

Brisbane still a long way behind other contenders in the betting despite being the only home team.

90 per cent of the comp is the home team up there.
The ground is the same dimensions as most normal grounds.
Most teams aren’t visiting there fresh from a flight and no local preparation.

has this forum made ‘drinking mercury before you post’ a new rule or something?
I sure has hell don’t consider that my team is playing away game’s at the moment. We’ve basically lived there for months.

Is it flag or bust for Richmond & Collingwood, every single season? Because that's essentially the same criteria.

I honestly cannot wait for this to be over, so that we go back to being at a disadvantage, so everyone in VIC is happy with their own advantages again. That's the hardcore truth of it. The Victorian teams want their slight advantage back, and they will of course. Forever.

EDIT: Also, while WC & Port are obviously unhappy with the Grand Final location. Their fans shouldn't really be too up and arms against us, considering they've had the fortune of playing a large portion of games at home anyway. I believe it's like 2 less games than us by the end of the season. Not only that, when it's all said and done, they'll be in the same boat once again with us against the Victorian advantage.

and the teams they are hosting are generally just going there for a short stint as opposed to being based there

Isn't that because those clubs choose to play some home games interstate for financial gain?

Imagine being Melbourne, selling two games to the NT, and still only traveling 7 times a year (in a 22 game season). Every other non Victorian club travels 10 times a year without the financial privilege of the clubs you mentioned.

Richmond travelled for 5 out of 22 H&A games last year in an affected season. The equivalent in this shortened 17 game season would be travelling for ~3.8 games. Brisbane will end up travelling for three games this season, 2 in NSW, and one in Cairns (which while not interstate, is still a 2 hour flight away). So despite this year being a mess, Brisbane will still only travel an equivalent of one game less than the likes of Richmond and Collingwood do in a regular unaffected season.

There's no doubt that this year has fallen Brisbane's way in terms of being advantageous for a good run to the flag. However calling this season "flag or bust" just shows how accustomed we are to a competition that favours certain teams over others.

On the season at hand, I still have us the tier behind WC, Richmond and Geelong, and on the same tier as Port in terms of likelihood of winning the premiership. Personally I think the pass mark this year would be making a prelim (i.e. finish top 4 and win a final).

That's a good thing, Melbourne shouldn't get the GF every single year. Unfortunately the VFL has locked us into MCG grand finals until 2058, the shameless troglodytes.

They are a great side, but they need to work on their goal efficiency. Their accuracy is atrocious; so many times they will have momentum and kick a handful of points and then it is all wasted. Compare that to the likes of Richmond, West Coast, Geelong etc who when they have momentum on their side they take advantage and score fast. They need to correct that or it will be like last year and they will go out in straight sets again. The rest of the team is set; great midfield, great defense.

Not gonna answer the stupid, trollish title question, but I just have this to add: the whole whinge about who has to travel more in the AFL is such a ****ing load of bullshit, really...and "travel" has no bearing whatsoever on a team's ability to finish top 4 and win a flag/make the GF. Just take a look at the proportion of interstate teams that have made the GF over the last 20 years. 14/20 GFs have featured interstate sides, with 8 wins out of those 14 appearances. The max flight time for a team in the AFL is like ~ 5 hours, from Bris to Perth, which is a rare trip under ordinary circumstances. The standard travel time to Melb for QLD/WA teams is like ~2 to ~3.5 hrs respectively. These are highly tuned athletes with virtually unlimited access to top notch facilities, physical trainers, nutritionists etc. To think that these pissy little flights (which they do with ample time to acclimatise to the city/conditions before game-day) have any effect on the conditioning or readiness of the players is just laughable. All NBA teams play 82 games in the regular season over a 25 week or so period, often with back to back games; and travel up to ~64,000km within that time frame...you don't really hear them complaining. If it honestly does affect players and teams performance in the AFL (which it clearly doesn't as interstate teams have consistently finished top 4), then that just speaks volumes about how amateurish our league and its players are.

TLDR: The whingeing about travelling or who has to travel more is pathetic and travel itself has little bearing at all on overall results.

Isn't that because those clubs choose to play some home games interstate for financial gain?

Imagine being Melbourne, selling two games to the NT, and still only traveling 7 times a year (in a 22 game season). Every other non Victorian club travels 10 times a year without the financial privilege of the clubs you mentioned.

Richmond travelled for 5 out of 22 H&A games last year in an affected season. The equivalent in this shortened 17 game season would be travelling for ~3.8 games. Brisbane will end up travelling for three games this season, 2 in NSW, and one in Cairns (which while not interstate, is still a 2 hour flight away). So despite this year being a mess, Brisbane will still only travel an equivalent of one game less than the likes of Richmond and Collingwood do in a regular unaffected season.

There's no doubt that this year has fallen Brisbane's way in terms of being advantageous for a good run to the flag. However calling this season "flag or bust" just shows how accustomed we are to a competition that favours certain teams over others.

On the season at hand, I still have us the tier behind WC, Richmond and Geelong, and on the same tier as Port in terms of likelihood of winning the premiership. Personally I think the pass mark this year would be making a prelim (i.e. finish top 4 and win a final).

You left out round 1 - we will “travel“ 4 times, comparatively more than 2019 Richmond.

We’ve also hardly played on our home deck much more than a lot of other sides (the saints and pies had both enjoyed 5 or so Gabba games in the previous 6 weeks to our 2, or something like that).

WHy? There is merit to it. The season has been heavily compromised. There is a statistical advantage to playing at a home ground. Brisbane have been gifted the best draw this season. TBH whoever wins this year, including my side won't mean crap.
I personally think they are a good team better than port tbh. Only Richmond and geelong are better

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back