Is Brisbane's Forwardline Good Enough To Get Them Into Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane are in the same boat as Richmond, North, Essendon etc. in that they are capable of making the finals but you wouldn't be surprised if they miss out.

If Hawthorn, Sydney or Collingwood miss the 8 lots of people will be surprised.
Likewise if Melbourne, Port or the Dogs make the 8 lots of people will be surprised.

Brisbane are firmly in the 6-12 bracket where you are relying on circumstances as well as ability to make the finals.

Brisbane's forward line was good when they had Brown and Fev in their prime, and that turned out great. I like their currant forward line more.

Even with Brown and Bradshaw post successful era, I like what they have now, much more.

It doesn't, you are massively overrating him off a couple of practice matches against average opponents.

I'm not overrating Cornelius I'm just saying they need one more solid KPF for that forward line to really work. It doesn't have to be Cornelius, it could be Lisle. I just believe that they need another big guy performing well to compliment and take pressure of Brown, and create more opportunities for those crumbers (Green, Zorko etc) and Cornelius is probably the most likely to be that guy on their list.

I'm not overrating Cornelius I'm just saying they need one more solid KPF for that forward line to really work. It doesn't have to be Cornelius, it could be Lisle. I just believe that they need another big guy performing well to compliment and take pressure of Brown, and create more opportunities for those crumbers (Green, Zorko etc) and Cornelius is probably the most likely to be that guy on their list.

Cornelius is a third tall at best, he'll struggle if he got the second best defender every week.

I see what you're saying though and I think they have it covered with the recruitment of Martin. It'll only get better if Longer can utilise his athletic abilities up forward when Leuenberger comes back too.

Cornelius is a third tall at best, he'll struggle if he got the second best defender every week.

I see what you're saying though and I think they have it covered with the recruitment of Martin. It'll only get better if Longer can utilise his athletic abilities up forward when Leuenberger comes back too.

That's true, I'd forgotten about Martin, he has some things to work on but there are plenty of positives in his game.

Brennan has kicked more than 11 goals in a season once & Fevola is 32 and would potentially be retired by now anyway. I'm sure the Lions would like to have Clark available and for that matter Henderson also, but they're gone so spilled milk and all that. Besides, if you put Clark and Brennan back in you have to take Docherty, Bewick, Polec & Karnezis so it's not quite as simple as 'LOL Brisbane you lost those players' as some make out.

And Lester...the Brennan trade to the Gold Coast was: gain...Bewick and picks 5,25 and 27 (Polec,Karnezis and Lester) - lose...an end of first round compensation pick and picks 10 and 48.

All four directly related to the Brennan trade are genuine top 22 capable players with heaps of improvement to come...and,of course,Green drafted along with them and the only other selection used in that draft was to elevate Beams from the rookie list.

As for Fevola and the loss of Henderson in 09...Maguire and Raines are important players in the side now with Staker to be a very good in if he regains his pre-injury form and Hanley and Harwood (National) and Golby and Beams (Rookie) taken in the 09 drafts...7 players from the 09 recruitment outcome who can be selected with confidence if fit and in form for 2013...and apart from Henderson none of the 10 players that exited the club in 09 are of any significant loss...I think only 2 are on any list today...so much for the so called recruitment disaster of 09 that many still don't "get" the outcome of but some people who bother with the facts,do.

You've just listed a bunch of midfielders and flankers, any side can do that, the point is that Brisbane's second most productive KPF was their full back, which is not true for most clubs vying for the eight.
Eagles in 05 Had Quinton Lynch and Adam Hunter...now Jon Brown and a bunch of talented flankers cant even make the 8? We're not talking about the bulldogs situation where Liam Jones is the number 1 option FFS.

Brisbane's forwardline is not good enough to get them finals.

And just to save you from making four other threads:

1. Brisbane's backline is not good enough to get them into finals.
2. Brisbane's midfield is not good enough to get them into finals.
3. Brisbane is not good enough to get them into finals.
4. Richmond sux

lost it at number 4

Eagles in 05 Had Quinton Lynch and Adam Hunter...now Jon Brown and a bunch of talented flankers cant even make the 8? We're not talking about the bulldogs situation where Liam Jones is the number 1 option FFS.

West Coast is a red herring considering they had the best midfield in the league, the best ruck in the league, a good coach and a very handy defense. Brisbane don't have that. Their forwardline setup isn't as good as most other teams vying for 5-8th.

West Coast is a red herring considering they had the best midfield in the league, the best ruck in the league, a good coach and a very handy defense. Brisbane don't have that. Their forwardline setup isn't as good as most other teams vying for 5-8th.

Do you even watch Lions games, or are you still living in the 2010 season? Sure, our midfield isn't the best, but was the Eagles' the 'best' in the league when they got the wooden spoon? Voss has proved that he has what it takes to be a good coach, the signs are good and defence? Our defence is mature, solid and very hard to kick goals against. Forward line set-up of:

Green, Brown, Zorko
Martin, Cornelius, Bewick

Fast-paced and ability to keep the forward pressure up. Could be anything.

Do you even watch Lions games, or are you still living in the 2010 season? Sure, our midfield isn't the best, but was the Eagles' the 'best' in the league when they got the wooden spoon? Voss has proved that he has what it takes to be a good coach, the signs are good and defence? Our defence is mature, solid and very hard to kick goals against. Forward line set-up of:

Green, Brown, Zorko
Martin, Cornelius, Bewick

Fast-paced and ability to keep the forward pressure up. Could be anything.

Sorry, but I'll take Essendon and North's set up over yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say it isn't good enough.

But that said, it looks so much better on paper now.

What it depends on is Stefan Martin and Cornelius step up this year. Both had good pre-seasons, but that counts for little until they do it in the season proper. If they can step up, and Brown stays healthy then they have a good enough forward line to cause problems.

Zorko and Green are dangerous and I'm a big wrap for Bewick. I think he is hard at it, good skills and can play taller than his size. I really like the combination of those 3.

Also, don't forget that guys like Rockliff showed they could push forward last year and be an option. And when Leunberger comes back, they have the option of playing both he and Longer and resting one up forward. Both are agile and good marks. Will be very tough match ups.

There are a lot of variables. Will Brown stay fit? Will Martin and Cornelius live up to potential? Can Zorko replicate his first season form? Will Leunberger come back strong from achilles problems?

If the cards fall into place, they have a top 8 side on paper. The problem is that so do 13 other clubs.

Sydney are a different side to Brisbane. For starters, their defense is much better, and so is their midfield. Sydney don't kick as many goals as say Hawthorn, but their defense is suburb. If Brisbane can develop a Fremantle or Sydney standard defense, maybe they can rely on such returns, but I'm not convinced.

Looking at their 2012, they seemed to cop a few heavy defeats - they seem a bit like us in 2011, capable of having a nice spread of goal kickers but a defence that was leaking. We tightened up under Ross Smith and looked much better - maybe they can do the same?

4. Richmond sux

What would be the main point to discuss in that thread? Seems more of a statement rather than something to open up for discussion.

Probably not.

Geelong (for example) were able to counteract the lack of a genuine elite KPF and a solid-good KPF, by having arguably the best combo of small forwards of the modern era (Chapman, Johnson).

Brisbane have neither of them. (Browny is past the "genuine elite" category and Cornelius isn't a KPF)

Keep on underrating us, we don't mind it.
I have a feeling we'll surprise most teams this season.

I think your biggest overall problem is you have no stars, you have a few who have the potential to become stars but so does everyone, i'm tipping a solid year for you guys this year (8th-10th), i'd be super suprised if you did better than that, stranger things have happened though.

Sydney are a different side to Brisbane. For starters, their defense is much better, and so is their midfield. Sydney don't kick as many goals as say Hawthorn, but their defense is suburb. If Brisbane can develop a Fremantle or Sydney standard defense, maybe they can rely on such returns, but I'm not convinced.
well i would say there defense probably s just as good as Sydney if not it almost is, developing midfield wont be far off either.

4. Richmond sux
1. Brisbane's backline is easily good enough to get them into finals.
2. Brisbane's midfield is easily good enough even though still developing to get them into finals.
3. Brisbane's forward line is easily good enough to get them into finals.
4. Brisbane will make finals.
5. Have fun with your 15 year premiership drought while we enjoy multiple, goodbye.
P.S. Richmond don't "sux" either.

1. Brisbane's backline is easily good enough to get them into finals.
2. Brisbane's midfield is easily good enough even though still developing to get them into finals.
3. Brisbane's forward line is easily good enough to get them into finals.
4. Brisbane will make finals.
5. Have fun with your 15 year premiership drought while we enjoy multiple, goodbye.
P.S. Richmond don't "sux" either.

I think you need to calm down. The fact is regardless of NAB Cup results most agree that Brisbane's forwardline and midfield are not up to the standard required to make the 8. Your backline is ok but nothing to write home about. I think Brisbane fans get excited about the backline purely because the forwardline and midfield are so low on talent. I mean there aren't any Brisbane players who are even in the conversation for AA selection yet people are expecting them to make finals o_O. Also the reliance on Jonathon Brown to a) not get injured and b) play well all season is ridiculous and poor management on Vossy's behalf. Brown has been a great player but he finished last season and now just loafs around the forward unable to get of the ground and constantly panting with his hands on his knees. To think that Brisbane are pinning their seasons hopes on this guy playing well and staying fit says everything about the circus they got running up there. Brisbane won't just finish outside the 8, they'll finish well outside the 8

Also before you make witty calls about 15 year droughts perhaps you should wonder about whether your club will still exist in 15 years. How many mergers is it going to take for Fitzroy supporters to realize they actually play in the D section Ammos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Brisbane's Forwardline Good Enough To Get Them Into Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back