Is Collingwood changing the Jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

In reply to what a few of you have said, Adidas will be the apparel sponsor of Essendon next season. I think the 'change' spoken about on the Collingwood Football Club website is that the club logo will be added to the breast and the overall style and cut of the jumper will also change.
Here is Essendon's:

Here is my take on Collingwood's 2009 jumper.

In reply to what a few of you have said, Adidas will be the apparel sponsor of Essendon next season. I think the 'change' spoken about on the Collingwood Football Club website is that the club logo will be added to the breast and the overall style and cut of the jumper will also change.
Here is Essendon's:

Here's another pic of our new guernsey.

1424.jpg

In season 2009 adidas will supply Essendon with a revolutionary new guernsey, aimed at maximising player comfort and performance.

To make tackling harder the garment is more fitted than traditional guernseys, a feature already incorporated into All Black’s on field apparel. The design also features adidas ForMotion™ technology, with panels placed in line with players muscular structure for freedom of movement and also a built in GPS device pocket, doing away with cumbersome vests.

Here is Essendon's:

I'm all for tight fitting guernseys, they're harder to tackle. But geez, they look like they're painted on.

Quote:
In season 2009 adidas will supply Essendon with a revolutionary new guernsey, aimed at maximising player comfort and performance.

To make tackling harder the garment is more fitted than traditional guernseys, a feature already incorporated into All Black’s on field apparel. The design also features adidas ForMotion™ technology, with panels placed in line with players muscular structure for freedom of movement and also a built in GPS device pocket, doing away with cumbersome vests.

First point is good on Essendon for adopting some new technology (within the rules) to make their players harder to tackle.

BUT

Is it time the AFL stepped in and made some standardised rules for jumper construction/materials? Do we really want players breaking tackles because their sponsor has invented some new gee-whizzery not available to other clubs?
What if they can invent clothing that makes the players run faster? Stand up stronger in the tackle?

If you think I am being overly alarmist about this, 10 years ago who would have predicted the way Olympic swimmers dress now?

This goes double for boots - soccer is already developing boots to help curve the ball in a particular way - agin, I don't know how that will apply to AFL, but you can bet there will be something inthe future.

Set a standard, stick to it.

Otherwise, we might wind up like golf, with fantastic technology changing the way the game is played every 6 months. Cricket bats today are light years away from the stuff we used at school.

If the AFL adopt a 'wait-and-see' approach it won't work - omce the new technology is available, clubs will use it and by the time the AFL does its analysis it will be too late to stop it.

hang on, puma isn't sponsering in 09?
DAMNIT my swans guernsey has the PUMA on the collar front bit.

hang on, puma isn't sponsering in 09?
DAMNIT my swans guernsey has the PUMA on the collar front bit.

They will. Essendons contract is up, that is why they have a new sponsor in Adidas.

When the Swans contract runs out, is when they will need a new sponsor. That is what I heard anyway, I have no idea when the contracts are up though.

Is it time the AFL stepped in and made some standardised rules for jumper construction/materials? Do we really want players breaking tackles because their sponsor has invented some new gee-whizzery not available to other clubs?
What if they can invent clothing that makes the players run faster? Stand up stronger in the tackle?

If you think I am being overly alarmist about this, 10 years ago who would have predicted the way Olympic swimmers dress now?

This goes double for boots - soccer is already developing boots to help curve the ball in a particular way - agin, I don't know how that will apply to AFL, but you can bet there will be something inthe future.

Set a standard, stick to it.

Otherwise, we might wind up like golf, with fantastic technology changing the way the game is played every 6 months. Cricket bats today are light years away from the stuff we used at school.

If the AFL adopt a 'wait-and-see' approach it won't work - omce the new technology is available, clubs will use it and by the time the AFL does its analysis it will be too late to stop it.

Technology is good! Would you prefer to be teeing off with woodern clubs?

Why should the game, jumpers, boots, balls etc not evolve because you don't like technology?:confused:

Hell, lets bring back lace-up jumpers. Those new fan dangle pull overs invented in 1920 are way too advanced!!!:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's mentioned that Eddie has changed the jumper during his time at the club- what are these changes that have been made? I'm not trying to be provocative here, I want to know what these changes are that are being referred to (pics would be nice...)

It's mentioned that Eddie has changed the jumper during his time at the club- what are these changes that have been made? I'm not trying to be provocative here, I want to know what these changes are that are being referred to (pics would be nice...)
Go to www.footyjumpers.com, click 'Club By Club Jumpers' on the top menu, click the Collingwood jumper and take a look.

Oh you serious???

West Coast have been sponsored by Puma since day dot. Like HJs and SGIO.

Cant imagine an eagles jumper without it being a puma one.

You mean like the sekem Guernseys we wore for 10 years?
The yellow peril
The royal blue (92 94)
And the navy blue?

All SEKEM guernseys

I couldn't give a crap if they made the guernsey look this this. It doesn't change anything at all about the players, personnel or ideals. The colours will never change and that's the main thing.

nch6h1.png

Here is Essendon's:
Are Hawks also using this slim style jumper:eek:

Yes, Eddie is a hyprocrite in some ways

He's adamant that the jumper of 100 years must stay. Yet he's reversed the black and white stripes and added a big splash of red for the sake of their sponsor

Not that I have an issue with sponsors logos - just with his rhetoric about tradition. Red has never, ever been part of their colour scheme. But it's OK if they make money out of it? ;)

Quite possibly the stupidest argument i've come across when arguing about jumpers. Prove's the point that opposition fans will clutch at anything to have bitch about collingwood

Technology is good! Would you prefer to be teeing off with woodern clubs?

To be honest, yes - at least for the pros. I want to go back to wooden racquets at wimbledon, and old style 'non-pressed' cricket bats.

Otherwise, how can you compare today's players with the past greats? If these guys are the best in the world, make them play with simple equipment that requires some skill to operate. For the weekend hackers - OK, give them the rocket science if they want it to make the game easier and more pleasureable.

Seeing a top-edge fly for six, or a slice travel 300 metres doesn't do much for me.

Interestingly, Major league baseball has always resisted going to aluminium bats - even though they have proven to be far better in the minors.

Look, at this stage, there is no 'miracle' technology that changes AFL footy - maybe there never will be. I just reckon the AFL should make a pre-emptive strike to keep technology out - otherwise you get the ridiculous stuff we have at the swimming, where we don't really know if a swimmer sets a world record because of their ability or the super-suits.

What if someone invents some super 'greasy' fabric for AFL jumpers that is slippery and impossible to hold in a tackle - that's not beyond the realms of possibility - do we want that?

so to get back to the OP.., in summary..

1. we've got a 'slim line' material due to our sponsorship arrangement.., seems to be better than what we've got. If we didn't evolve in these ways we'd be still lacing up our woolen jumpers. Understand some of the peoples arguments above on it all.., but i'm sure the same was debated at the local pub back in the day when they got rid of those laces too.

2. there's a logo over the heart.

And these are bad things??

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Collingwood changing the Jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back