Is Collingwood changing the Jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quote:
In season 2009 adidas will supply Essendon with a revolutionary new guernsey, aimed at maximising player comfort and performance.

To make tackling harder the garment is more fitted than traditional guernseys, a feature already incorporated into All Black’s on field apparel. The design also features adidas ForMotion™ technology, with panels placed in line with players muscular structure for freedom of movement and also a built in GPS device pocket, doing away with cumbersome vests.

First point is good on Essendon for adopting some new technology (within the rules) to make their players harder to tackle.

BUT

Is it time the AFL stepped in and made some standardised rules for jumper construction/materials? Do we really want players breaking tackles because their sponsor has invented some new gee-whizzery not available to other clubs?
What if they can invent clothing that makes the players run faster? Stand up stronger in the tackle?

If you think I am being overly alarmist about this, 10 years ago who would have predicted the way Olympic swimmers dress now?

This goes double for boots - soccer is already developing boots to help curve the ball in a particular way - agin, I don't know how that will apply to AFL, but you can bet there will be something inthe future.

Set a standard, stick to it.

Otherwise, we might wind up like golf, with fantastic technology changing the way the game is played every 6 months. Cricket bats today are light years away from the stuff we used at school.

If the AFL adopt a 'wait-and-see' approach it won't work - omce the new technology is available, clubs will use it and by the time the AFL does its analysis it will be too late to stop it.
How many bomber supporters will buy this ghastly jumper to wear?
Most are slightly overweight and would look ridiculous in it.
Norwood in the SANFL wore a skin tight lycra guernsey similar to that one several years ago.It looked ridiculous and was supposed to be skin toight to avoid tackles.It only lasted a couple of years.Must have been a failure?

Quite possibly the stupidest argument i've come across when arguing about jumpers. Prove's the point that opposition fans will clutch at anything to have bitch about collingwood

For the second and last time I have no issue with your guernsey or the sponsor's logo. Clearly, you are your mate Geoffrey something both failed to see the ;) icon?

All I am pointing out is how Eddie is happy to accept some modifications to his beloved black and white guernsey.

Ironically, the reversal of the B&W stripes (a major design modification which I quite like despite the 100 years that the original lasted) has created most of the guernsey clashes which has caused all the debate about clash strips. I understand his solution will be a strip much like the original which he changed. Classic!

If you guys can't take a bit of harmless stirring of your passionate President then you should take out a Wizard loan and fly Emirates out of here :)

Ironically, the reversal of the B&W stripes (a major design modification which I quite like despite the 100 years that the original lasted) has created most of the guernsey clashes which has caused all the debate about clash strips.

Oh really?

Compare ours from 1892-2000 with North Melbourne's and then come back to this thread.

If you guys can't take a bit of harmless stirring of your passionate President then you should take out a Wizard loan and fly Emirates out of here :)

No, no it's ok, it's ok, you don't need to be obsessed with us. It's November, relax, many months until round one.

Ironically, the reversal of the B&W stripes (a major design modification which I quite like despite the 100 years that the original lasted) has created most of the guernsey clashes which has caused all the debate about clash strips. I understand his solution will be a strip much like the original which he changed. Classic!

Pretty much sums it up for me. I noticed though the 'away' (read 'traditional') strip they used this year had extra stripes on it. They are never happy with their jumpers down at Collingwood, they've always got to go and change something on their jumpers.....

Pretty much sums it up for me. I noticed though the 'away' (read 'traditional') strip they used this year had extra stripes on it. They are never happy with their jumpers down at Collingwood, they've always got to go and change something on their jumpers.....

Ahh no.., they just invert the colours. Count the stripes carefully and get back to me.

Pick the Employees defending the CFC brand from the passionate Supporters defending their love of all things Black and White?

As a famous politician once said... 'Please explain'?

They've got different material and a magpie badge on the heart. This is a bad thing.. why? Are you just annoyed it wasn't plastered all over the news like everything else Collingwood related or because they didn't consult with you first?

From your OP you speak for all Collingwood supporters, now I'm a Collingwood supporter, so please elaborate why I should be annoyed with this and burn down the Lexus Centre as a result because your argument here isn't winning me over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^you're an idiot. adding a logo is changing the jumper now?? why dont you tell us all the kind of changes he was speaking against

as for tess. im sure people have learnt by now not to give this attention seeker any notice

Collingwood has changed their jumper many times during Eddie's reign.

How bout that when where they had the massive magpie on the front of the jumper. Surely that was a significant change?

Ahh no.., they just invert the colours. Count the stripes carefully and get back to me.

Ahh no, there are 5 black stripes on the latest 'clash' jumper. I counted them very carefully. So it is yet another new jumper from Collingwood, not the same as that worn in the 1990 premiership.

Collingwood has worn more different jumpers than Fremantle.

I think the AFL clubs have been very slow to get hold of these type of jerseys. Nike put out some very tight fitted ones but other brands are shapeless bags. Norwood FC in the SANFL was wearing skin tight zip up lycra jerseys in the mind 1990's under Neil Craig - first in Aussie Rules or rugby. He got them to a GF I think. He said at the time they were far harder to tackle and were start of art for sport etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Collingwood changing the Jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back