Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

They started in the sanfl and they never left it.

They started a new franchise with new colours and logo in a new competition but never left their original league.

No they didn't.

Read before posting.

The Port Adelaide Football Club ceased playing in the SANFL in 1996 and started playing in the AFL in 1997.

Get educated.

No they didn't.

Read before posting.

The Port Adelaide Football Club ceased playing in the SANFL in 1996 and started playing in the AFL in 1997.

Get educated.
Clubs don't play in competitions.
Teams do.
Same club. Different team.
Stop trolling.

You think they are rules?

Then why are Port trying to get permission from Collingwood and not the AFL?

You aren't real bright are you?
Because the AFL are saying that Collingwood need to give permission.
If they had cojones, they'd make a decision.
But they don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showdown would be the biggest non Victorian rivalry, followed by Sydney Derby aka Battle of the Bridge.
Another big final between Swans and Giants might tip the scales in favour of the Sydney Derby, though.

It's been a long time since the SA sides have faced each other when it's been a high stakes game for both sides, but I won't be surprised to see Nicks outcoach Hinkley again.

Showdown would be the biggest non Victorian rivalry, followed by Sydney Derby aka Battle of the Bridge.
Another big final between Swans and Giants might tip the scales in favour of the Sydney Derby, though.

It's been a long time since the SA sides have faced each other when it's been a high stakes game for both sides, but I won't be surprised to see Nicks outcoach Hinkley again.
Showdown is way bigger than the Sydney derby, regardless of circumstances.

Showdown and Derby are the biggest rivalries by far in my opinion. I'm pumped for the Showdown this week. It helps that Adelaide's in reasonable form recently, but it seems to deliver more often than not.

It's bigger than any Victorian rivalries, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't really give a toss about Carlton v Collingwood or whatever, if it were 2nd v 15th, as this weekend's Showdown will be. That's the difference. It's ladder-proof.

A lot seem to have the opppsite opinion, but my dream is to see a Showdown grand final in my lifetime (and win, of course).

Danny Devito Smh GIF

It's definitely the biggest rivalry in the AFL. There's bad blood from the inception of the Crows onwards.
There's alot of SANFL history that goes down deep. I remember in a game between Port and Centrals back in the 80s or 90s, a group of Centrals supporters were walking up and down the ground with dead magpies impaled on stakes.
There is the Crows players plssing on the section of Alberton turf that got transplanted onto football Park.
There is the rumble at the Ramsgate, where Roo knocked out a half a dozen Powet players, incl Carr and Cornes.
There's Michaelangelo Rucci with Bryce Gibbs.
I could go on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back