Opinion Is this where Carlton drops away? 2023 version

Are Carlton going to drop away from here?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah ok gotcha, yeah probably agree I more meant the club's public statements and messaging.

Only thing I'll say is I reckon its more simply over-rating where the list is at rather than a straight-up pay to win approach ala the old days when they'd just buy genuine stars. Wouldn't have thought the players they've brought in were considered 'stars' by anyone, more role players (although we definitely paid more than we should have in a few cases). It hasn't worked but there's been plenty of bad luck to go along with the bad management, plenty of time and continuity lost to injury.
yep exactly. so much overrating of the list - which is driven by the media, and i can't help but think that drive originally comes from the club. I would think the coaching staff know exactly where you're at but the external noise is deafening. Rather than sack your coach as you have in the past, I really hope you're current admin can be strong and stay the course, and irrelevant of the win/loss record, give Voss and his list a chance to grow and develop together. Your list is almost there, but these things take time as does building connection etc.

Any chance this offer is still valid?
Yeah I had them winning 2 of the last 5.
History shows I was too bullish.
Disappointing considering they went the hardest of scorched earth rebuilds and their fans went through years of pain.
2023 should have been a finals year and a platform for sustained success. Instead they look like a middling side.

As I said everyone is basking in Carltons woes and sinking the boot in left, right and centre but nobody predicted what has happened to them this season
I tend to agree. In an 18 team comp it's easy to write off 17 teams and look like the freaking oracle at the end of the day. Something isn't right, especially with how they were playing in the first half of 2022.

I tend to agree. In an 18 team comp it's easy to write off 17 teams and look like the freaking oracle at the end of the day. Something isn't right, especially with how they were playing in the first half of 2022.
Their 8 and 2 record after 10 games in 2022 isn't as impressive as it seems when you consider they were yet to play 4 of the eventual top 5 teams - Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne and Brisbane - by that stage of the season (and they lost all 5 games played against these teams once they eventually played them).

yep exactly. so much overrating of the list - which is driven by the media, and i can't help but think that drive originally comes from the club.
I mean.. the club make the list decisions they hope will make them more competitive, media will write what they like. Its not like Vossy is gonna call Robbo up and say hey whoa back there on the hype big fella, bizarre connection you've drawn there imo.

I would think the coaching staff know exactly where you're at but the external noise is deafening. Rather than sack your coach as you have in the past, I really hope you're current admin can be strong and stay the course, and irrelevant of the win/loss record, give Voss and his list a chance to grow and develop together. Your list is almost there, but these things take time as does building connection etc.
Hmm you may be falling into the same trap you say the club have here. I think the list is miles away personally.

Last edited:
Their 8 and 2 record after 10 games in 2022 isn't as impressive as it seems when you consider they were yet to play 4 of the eventual top 5 teams - Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne and Brisbane - by that stage of the season (and they lost all 5 games played against these teams once they eventually played them).
Yeah so on form they were probably a 6-10 team. Most people expected their trajectory to continue going up this season. Now they are playing like a 13-15 team.

They look devoid of confidence. If they just get one win I get the feeling they can turn it around. If they can beat Gold Coast then they would get some confidence and back themselves in games such as Port/St Kilda at Marvel, Gold Coast away etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean.. they club make the list decisions they hope will make them more competitive, media will write what they like. Its not like Vossy is gonna call Robbo up and say hey whoa back there on the hype big fella, bizarre connection you've drawn there imo.

Hmm you may be falling into the same trap you say the club have. I think the list is miles away personally.

Like i've said, I think it's the faceless men of your club who do the pumping up to the media, nothing to do with the footy department.

And i'm certainly not falling into any trap. I dont think your list is premiership (or even top 4) material, but it's certainly better than your ladder position currently, hence why i thought at the start of the year they'd finish between 8-10. I just think your current players need more time with the coach, and talent wise you actually need to draft and develop more mids - not half back running types.

Like i've said, I think it's the faceless men of your club who do the pumping up to the media, nothing to do with the footy department.
If it was you might think there'd be a few stories with quotes from these blokes floating around?

And i'm certainly not falling into any trap. I dont think your list is premiership (or even top 4) material, but it's certainly better than your ladder position currently, hence why i thought at the start of the year they'd finish between 8-10. I just think your current players need more time with the coach, and talent wise you actually need to draft and develop more mids - not half back running types.
Agree there, when I say miles away I mean from top 4/contending. But yep its not a bottom 4 list either, something is clearly very wrong in addition to the list composition.

Last edited:
As I said everyone is basking in Carltons woes and sinking the boot in left, right and centre but nobody predicted what has happened to them this season
I put my hand up and was thinking Carlton would be top 4.

Simply put, you would expect a side with two Coleman medalist, a brownlow medalist and their core players in their primate bracket would and should do much better than bottom 4.

I shared my rationale over the off season.

Their top end performed as well as could possibly be expected in 2022, didn't have the depth to cover any injuries/loss of form to that top end, and didn't do enough during the off season to address any perceived shortcomings with their list (whilst most of the 2022 contenders did, as well as a couple from outside the top 8).

My assessment was that if absolutely everything went right for them, they could sneak into the bottom of the top 8, but how often does absolutely everything go right for any club?
Never, playing so many Friday night games and losing them has been incredibly hard for the players and even worse for the supporters it just signals that they have been pushed forward prematurely by the AFL yet again despite the lack of success

Personally i think SoS is the main culprit in destroying Carltons list

His 66 game rebuild has really killed the list
Love to see a list of the picks he had and the players he brought into the club and which players remain after this season

Sos has been an utter failure as a list manager

Could still be some life in the Bluebaggers. Huge game against Port this week and a win will put them right back in the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is this where Carlton drops away? 2023 version

Back