Rumour Isaac Cumming - UFA (and then there was one)

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think on it, the more getting Cumming is somewhat of a watershed moment for us. If we get him, then its all good, ANB as long as we don't over pay and missing Luko from a club PR perspective is neither here nor there.

BUT, get outbid or worse, lose Cumming to Port for a deal similar to ours and then the blowtorch has to be put straight onto the recruiting team. We should make Cumming a home run from where we are salary cap wise and what kind of deal we could offer and we should be blowing our neighbours out of the park. It will be a big black mark on the club if we miss Cumming after Luko and it will put a real downer on the vibe over the summer.
Yeah I think if we lose out on Cumming, I'm out on Reid

Clear opportunity to get better, free of draft capital cost, his mentor and mate already at the club. Seems a pretty clear-cut fit that would look very poorly on us if we buggered it up

Yes and no

If Perryman chooses Port before Cumming nominates, then we're likely, Port surely won't have enough cash
If Perryman is undecided, then we're also likely, Port will still be all in on Perryman until he nominates either way
If Perryman chooses Collingwood first, then they get a chance to up their offer for Cumming, taking us out of the box seat

Not sure why Cumming would nominate that early in this case.

Free agency period doesn't begin until October 6 or end until October 13

Yes and no

If Perryman chooses Port before Cumming nominates, then we're likely, Port surely won't have enough cash
If Perryman is undecided, then we're also likely, Port will still be all in on Perryman until he nominates either way
If Perryman chooses Collingwood first, then they get a chance to up their offer for Cumming, taking us out of the box seat
At this stage Perrymna has not asked to leave, with Cummings wanting out GWS may increase their offer to Perryman

If Perryman genuinely hasn’t made up his mind yet I’d say we’re in the box seat

If he hasn't made up his mind yet, how could we be in the box seat. He's gone to the trouble of having medicals at both clubs and has toured both facilities. If he hasn't made up his mind, then I'd say it's a toss of the coin and and the primary factors, length, $, move home haven't separated the 2 clubs. If I was betting, I'd have Port as favourites of some degree if it's coming down to intangibles.

If he hasn't made up his mind yet, how could we be in the box seat. He's gone to the trouble of having medicals at both clubs and has toured both facilities. If he hasn't made up his mind, then I'd say it's a toss of the coin and and the primary factors, length, $, move home haven't separated the 2 clubs. If I was betting, I'd have Port as favourites of some degree if it's coming down to intangibles.
Well I'd assume Cumming is a back-up plan for Perryman, unless they are somehow able to fit all of those two + Luko into their cap

If they get all three, it's our worst nightmare

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUT, get outbid or worse, lose Cumming to Port for a deal similar to ours and then the blowtorch has to be put straight onto the recruiting team. We should make Cumming a home run from where we are salary cap wise and what kind of deal we could offer and we should be blowing our neighbours out of the park. It will be a big black mark on the club if we miss Cumming after Luko and it will put a real downer on the vibe over the summer.
We won't be outbid. The problem is that money is the only card Reid has to play.

I have to say it's really weird seeing people that know the club is shit, complain about it being shit all year on this forum, and still think all our recruitment sits squarely on Reid's shoulders. Like the club didn't just do everything it could to make his job impossible.
If you listen to guys like Twomey, Ralph etc it appears that our method of trying to get these players in is what does it.

We are a more "transactional" club rather than talking to these players like they are a part of something bigger.

It's been going on for a long time, but as the head of list management he gets a bigger slice of the blame.

Yeah I think if we lose out on Cumming, I'm out on Reid

Clear opportunity to get better, free of draft capital cost, his mentor and mate already at the club. Seems a pretty clear-cut fit that would look very poorly on us if we buggered it up
Whilst I agree and will be very disappointed if we don't land Cumming, Reid can only sell the proposition the club gives him.

Failure to land big fishes should be putting a blowtorch on the whole club and why its not attractive to our targets.

This forum has a good grasp on the problems, but it seems our club has a reluctance to make required changes and invest in getting better people involved in key positions.

If you listen to guys like Twomey, Ralph etc it appears that our method of trying to get these players in is what does it.

We are a more "transactional" club rather than talking to these players like they are a part of something bigger.

It's been going on for a long time, but as the head of list management he gets a bigger slice of the blame.

Not sure I agree with this……..

1. Hard sell to get non-SA players to Adelaide

2. When it’s a SA player it’s heavily influenced by who they supported, who there family supports, and where do they have the closest relationships

3. Then it’s role, money and contract size

Look at Port they sold Solo the vision of being their number one ruck, then sold the same story to Sweet…. Solo was blindsided by port chasing Sweet as well

Players know that clubs lie, it’s all about the role and the money

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry to intrude guys

They are saying Perryman to port is the most likely scenario, but pies have come late and it has been said he wants mid time, pies can facilitate that not us. Crows never had interest in perryman

I expect cumming to crows and perryman to Collingwood
tend to agree
with a name like that I think you need to switch teams

It's quite funny seeing how often players tip toe around this stuff when clearly he would know by now what club he's heading to.

Given our interest has been there for 2 years and Port only very recently (likely only after Houston told them he wanted to get home), it doesn't seem dissimilar to what has happened in these scenarios before. Scott Thompson was always coming to Adelaide in 05, but still met with Mark Williams to at least hear their pitch. Dawson was always coming to Adelaide, but went through the process with Port too. Luko has just done the same to us, probably always choosing Port but at least listened to our pitch.

Not much point narrowing it down to one club immediately as it reduces your bargaining power in terms of contract size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Isaac Cumming - UFA (and then there was one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back